6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

F450 Tire Options

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 02:18 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,186 Likes on 570 Posts
F450 Tire Options

Hey guys, I was following with interest a post about tire upgrades to the F450 over on the TDS forums. A member there just took delivery (or is about to) of a new 450 (Justin will approve of the color...) and was immediately going to upgrade to Michelin XDS2 tires on all 6. They are rated for limited steer use but he assures me that up in his neck of the woods (Canada), guys are running them in the front all the time without issue. His dealer just got the truck yesterday and already got the XDS2's mounted and studded. His thread was unceremoniously closed there as tire upgrades on a Ford were off topic apparently.... The moderation there is not quite as it is here... but we seem to have the exception and not the rule here with great mods for the most part... Anyways, I invited him over here where there seems to be a lot of guys would would be happy to have him, share their experience with him, and enjoy hearing his experience with a new F450 with fresh rubber. He goes by the handle "hoseclamp." Hope he posts up pics of his new 450 and his experience with the tire upgrade...

Old 12-13-2015, 02:22 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks Rodney!!! Apparently been a while since I've been here I pick up the truck tomorrow afternoon, then to the tire shop for a changeover.

Old 12-13-2015, 02:30 PM
System
Prolocutor
Glad to have you hear brother! Looking forward to your review. Love the avatar by the way...LOL...

Old 12-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For what it's worth

I've been running XDS2 on my 550 for years finnally having to change out my rears last yr. front still going about 65,000km on them mostly gravel roads they just keep going very even wear too

Old 12-13-2015, 02:44 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Lawrencew
I've been running XDS2 on my 550 for years finnally having to change out my rears last yr. front still going about 65,000km on them mostly gravel roads they just keep going very even wear too

My concern was on dry pavement. Any problem with wandering? I read that while the stock Conti's wander and follow the road for a thousand miles or so, the XDS2's have a longer break in. Any truth to that Lawrence?

Old 12-13-2015, 02:45 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Good info thx Lawrencew, that's about three winters of kms for me, so I'm sure I'll be looking to change after two seasons since I don't run a tire on ice and snow past 50%. Looking forward to getting this truck, many accessories to add!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:49 PM
System
Prolocutor
Accessorizing a new rig is the most fun part! When you have a day... or weekend to kill, check out my thread here about getting my XLR and the mods that ensued. They aren't done yet either...

139 pages of light reading... and some complete nonsense...

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-the-day.html

Old 12-13-2015, 02:51 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Got me there

Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
My concern was on dry pavement. Any problem with wandering? I read that while the stock Conti's wander and follow the road for a thousand miles or so, the XDS2's have a longer break in. Any truth to that Lawrence?
Don't have good info on break in time sorry . On our gravel roads wandering is kinda the normal. However on the pavement the truck will literally sit and stay where you point it . Side note: XDS2's are only tire I run on semi drives , long life and amazing traction, but pricey, get what you pay for here!

Old 12-13-2015, 02:53 PM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Lawrencew
Don't have good info on break in time sorry . On our gravel roads wandering is kinda the normal. However on the pavement the truck will literally sit and stay where you point it . Side note: XDS2's are only tire I run on semi drives , long life and amazing traction, but pricey, get what you pay for here!

That's great news! I get decent snow here so the traction will be nice. I also have a 500' driveway and paved lot at the end at my house that I need to plow. I'm sure the Conti HSR's that the 450 comes with would pretty much sit and spin with a 9.5' V plow on the front of a 450.....

Old 12-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Envy

Every time I see a pic of one of your guys 350/450 DRW I go on Ford build and price sight spec one up, then couple days later my dealer guy contacts me to see if I'm serious about upgrading my '14 F350SRW yet. Then I check with boss , she says not yet, and then a month goes by before I prob repeat process 😟

Old 12-13-2015, 03:32 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
I didn't plan on doing a new truck until the spring of 2017, but the price was just too good to pass up, the mrs doesn't care as long as I leave her suv and convertible alone. Lol.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:40 PM
Lawrencew
Senior User
Haha

Originally Posted by hoseclamp
I didn't plan on doing a new truck until the spring of 2017, but the price was just too good to pass up, the mrs doesn't care as long as I leave her suv and convertible alone. Lol.
It was hard to disagree with her in the past , but having recently upgraded her '08 suv to a '15 I think I'm slowly paving the road to my new dually😜

Old 12-13-2015, 03:50 PM
System
Prolocutor
We have a very expensive year coming up in 17 ourselves. Both the wife's Durango Citadel and my 350 have expiring powertrain warranties that spring. We are going to an Explorer Platinum for her and I'm still back and fourth on the DRW350 vs. 450 thing. It will likely be a 450 though. At first I hated the look of the 2017 Ford redesign (exterior anyways), but it's grown on me. I LOVE the new interior and the tech updates are amazing. It's going to be tough next year at this time waiting until Feb to order my rig. The 17's should be hitting dealer lots in November so I'm sure members will have them around then posting pics making me CRAZY. I just like a spring delivery so the snow and salt is done before driving the new truck.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:51 PM
hoseclamp
Elder User
Another main reason for a '16, I have both Titan 65/30 gal tanks, dvd headrests for the kids, canopy, exhaust/intake, (BD tuner will wait for update), and a few different lift kits, my understanding none of these will fit on a revised '17. That's a lot of accessories to dump at half or less cost!!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:59 PM
roadkingfl
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hoseclamp your taste in trucks is OUTSTANDING!.......Congrats!...

I live in Florida so I have nothing to add on the tires.

Quick Reply: F450 Tire Options