North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 06:30 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
The horshoe shaped piece was replaced a few years ago, this piece has teeth and hooks the piece you are talking about. Meshes with the little bronze gear, when it got to the point where it pushes the starter switch to start it, it would either jam or slip against the bronze gear.
OK. Gotcha...

Old 06-04-2018, 02:05 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
New project showed up on Saturday evening. Dustin’s influence rubbed off. 02 Foreman Rubicon 500cc

and its getting torn torn apart some.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:18 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody got a good recommendation for exhaust headers that will fit my 400, 2wd, 78 F150? EDIT** mufflers? I was thinking of going with a chambered flowmaster. They sound really good on my neighbors 283 so I figure they ought to sound close to mean on my 400.

I found and ordered a set of Hooker headers last night just after I posted. Also ordered a new Holley Classic carburetor, the associated mounting parts, and previously ordered aluminum intake manifold, and 3-row radiator. Plan is to get the motor purring, put some exhaust on it, and if I'm lucky and all that goes well, new tires so I'm hoping by the end of the summer I'll actually be able to drive the truck to one of the dinners or a meet.

Old 06-05-2018, 09:12 AM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
New project showed up on Saturday evening. Dustin’s influence rubbed off. 02 Foreman Rubicon 500cc

and its getting torn torn apart some.
It may not be a looker, but it's gonna be a runner.😎

Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by quest4reds
Anybody got a good recommendation for exhaust headers that will fit my 400, 2wd, 78 F150? EDIT** mufflers? I was thinking of going with a chambered flowmaster. They sound really good on my neighbors 283 so I figure they ought to sound close to mean on my 400.

I found and ordered a set of Hooker headers last night just after I posted. Also ordered a new Holley Classic carburetor, the associated mounting parts, and previously ordered aluminum intake manifold, and 3-row radiator. Plan is to get the motor purring, put some exhaust on it, and if I'm lucky and all that goes well, new tires so I'm hoping by the end of the summer I'll actually be able to drive the truck to one of the dinners or a meet.
Sounds like it's coming together. The one ton had a flow master on it. It was loud, but sounded fine at idle. I don't remember what the number is on it. I'll see if I can find it at some point.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:26 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader

From ad

Some shots of the new project quad.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:42 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
So the first parts order has shipped. A couple of front axle shafts, hand brake cable, and a sensor for the transmission shifting issue. Hopefully the transmission issue is only the sensor. Guess I will find out Monday. This weekend, I've been asked to replace the mains on a 955 Cat engine that spun one. Hoping that goes smoothly.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:57 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

460 and Supervisor Rocky!
Mornen fellers!
I did snag the 460 that will go in Ka'Bluey eventually. After I get me a solvent tank I'll start taking things off and cleaning them up until I get down to the block. And of course, Rocky is there to supervise.

Old 06-08-2018, 10:25 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
Ok fellas, I'm looking for some opinions / experience for my old truck. I've got the 400 that will be getting a new intake and 600 cfm 4bbl carb, new aluminum water pump, and it'll be cooled by a 3-row Champion aluminum radiator. Some other minor stuff will be done as well but I'm looking at my rear differential next. I am only going to use the truck occasionally, to haul and tow a boat. Currently have a C6 3-speed transmission with 2.75 gear ratio, and wanted to put a positraction / Trac-lok to assist with getting up slick boat ramps since I have 2wd one legger right now.

I don't know anything about this stuff so bare with me. I think I might be able to change out the differential carrier? to get the posi if I don't change the gears. Or it was recommended to just get the entire third member assembly with the gear ratio I want and the trac-lok already in there, but that appears to be A LOT more $$$. I'd like to do the work myself, but a little concerned with what I don't know, backlash, pre-load, gear tooth alignment, etc, etc. So what are your recommendations?

Old 06-08-2018, 12:23 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by quest4reds
Ok fellas, I'm looking for some opinions / experience for my old truck. I've got the 400 that will be getting a new intake and 600 cfm 4bbl carb, new aluminum water pump, and it'll be cooled by a 3-row Champion aluminum radiator. Some other minor stuff will be done as well but I'm looking at my rear differential next. I am only going to use the truck occasionally, to haul and tow a boat. Currently have a C6 3-speed transmission with 2.75 gear ratio, and wanted to put a positraction / Trac-lok to assist with getting up slick boat ramps since I have 2wd one legger right now.

I don't know anything about this stuff so bare with me. I think I might be able to change out the differential carrier? to get the posi if I don't change the gears. Or it was recommended to just get the entire third member assembly with the gear ratio I want and the trac-lok already in there, but that appears to be A LOT more $$$. I'd like to do the work myself, but a little concerned with what I don't know, backlash, pre-load, gear tooth alignment, etc, etc. So what are your recommendations?
Wonder how hard it'd be to find a later f150 with the gears and limited slip and just swap the whole rear, I know they used the 9" into the 80-86 body style, im not sure what needs to be changed to swap into yours. 2.75 or so is definitely highway gearing. 3.27 or 3.55 would definitely wake it up a little.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:00 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
Wonder how hard it'd be to find a later f150 with the gears and limited slip and just swap the whole rear, I know they used the 9" into the 80-86 body style, im not sure what needs to be changed to swap into yours. 2.75 or so is definitely highway gearing. 3.27 or 3.55 would definitely wake it up a little.
I agree with Dustin. It's probably the route I would look to go. Might could also consider a gear change, as a 2.75 isn't a particular gear I would have picked for that truck. My one ton I know has 4.10, but it sucks down the fuel. The F150 has around a 3.73 I believe. I'd probably go ahead and step up to there. Would be better for towing and that skinny pedal reaction would be a little more noticeable in the butt.

Old 06-09-2018, 01:08 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Thanks gents, I'll start looking. If you hear of any let me know.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:35 PM
77mud
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
3.50s are going to be your most common ratio because they were used in almost every 4x4 in the dentsides.

The carrier is long gone because I went full spool when I built the truck. But I just pulled a set of 3.50s out of the 9" I put in the 96. I'd let go of them fairly cheap.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:46 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by 77mud
3.50s are going to be your most common ratio because they were used in almost every 4x4 in the dentsides.

The carrier is long gone because I went full spool when I built the truck. But I just pulled a set of 3.50s out of the 9" I put in the 96. I'd let go of them fairly cheap.
I am interested, but how do I know they will work with my stuff? I am trying to get myself educated about this stuff, but it's not happening fast as I just got my kids home for the summer and I am trying to make the most of my time with them. I've heard the term "spline" as either 28 or 31 and I don't know what that means. And right now I have an 'open carrier' or 'one-legger', so I'll also need a new trac-lok carrier to get the limited slip I'm looking for right?

Old 06-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Spline - the teeth or 'gear' on the axle shaft that meshes with the inside of the axle gear\carrier. I believe most 9 inch rear ends are 28 spline, and that is what I would suspect yours to be. The nice thing about the nine inch is that the gears and all come out the front when you go to work on it. When you look at the axle tag it should read something like 3L50, or such. It'll tell you if it had a Ford trac-lok installed from the factory. Probably didn't. the 3.50 gears should fit, since they are both the Ford 9 inch and probably 28 spline. However, it does not get you a locking or limited slipping rear end. You'll need that to get both wheels spinning together. You can change spline count pretty easily if you are worried about it. Pretty sure you'll have most of it apart when doing the locker install any way.

I would recommend doing the bearings and such while you have it apart. No sense in having to take it all apart a second time just to save a few bucks the first time round.

As stated, rather than go through re-gearing, which isn't the easiest thing to do, as well as adding a locker. I'd just start looking for a 9 inch that already has one in it. Like here:

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/pts/d...579488826.html

4.33 Mini Spool 9 in 28 spl $300.00 - though those gears aren't going to be your friend on the highway. GIven a little longer looking, you will probably find just what you need.

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread