North Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:Benztechnc

Official NCFTE Works Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 10:31 AM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Benztechnc

Thanks! I'll be sure to throw in anything here I could use hand with.

I'll be finding my way over to the Dinner thread as well.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:56 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We didn't get a lot accomplished after that sun started going down and the wind picking up. But Josh and I did together and a couple of hours to start looking for the electrical short that Ka'Bluey has had for years. But after cutting out a section of wire (2 wires) for the alternator that had two crimp connectors in as many inch's a short that we were seeing on the DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter), did go away. So we may have actually done something after all.

Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2016, 02:16 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When me and my dad painted some of my f250, we ended up using a cheap HVLP paint gun from harbor freight, and martin-senour acrylic enamel single stage paint from napa. Used some old DuPont fill'n sand laquer primer we had around. Turned out ok. If you paint in a building, wet the floor down to keep dust down.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:31 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ubereal2
We didn't get a lot accomplished after that sun started going down and the wind picking up. But Josh and I did together and a couple of hours to start looking for the electrical short that Ka'Bluey has had for years. But after cutting out a section of wire (2 wires) for the alternator that had two crimp connectors in as many inch's a short that we were seeing on the DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Meter), did go away. So we may have actually done something after all.
We also found that your cab light uses around 1 amp.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:42 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
We also found that your cab light uses around 1 amp.
Yes we did
I got the tires aired up today, after getting the battery charger out cause it was dead again. I let it run the entire time I was airing up tires. Then drive him around town for a bit.
Went to start him up after I was back in the drive way, and stone cold dead.. So now the battery charger is on there, again, and I'll leave it there until tomorrow, then go have the charging system checked. I'm thinking it's good since the truck ran until I shut it off. So that tells me that the alternator is working, and that another POS Orielly battery is toast. Or that it's met it's match being drained and charged up, and Ka'Bluey killing another battery.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:33 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Oreillys batteries are Deka, same as Napa, not bad batteries usually. You can usually get a hydrometer battery tester to check the cells really cheap, but the wiring short may have done a number on the battery. I had an alternator go bad and kill two batteries, stayed excited and drained them down dead overnight, showed 14.3 volts, charged fine, took it off and had it tested at an AZ, failed 3 times in a row.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:10 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
That truck has been through more batteries than any vehicle that I've ever owned. I need to get the wiring mess fixed, then find an Interstate Battery dealer. Any around here that y'all know of. Best brand battery I've ever had.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:43 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
There is one in Garner, 533 dynamic drive, not too far from Johnny's electric.

Old 01-12-2016, 05:51 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Cool, thanks Dusty!
I'll give them a shout after I get this battery charged and checked.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:55 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
Spent Thursday night , all day Friday and Saturday morning putting in new springs and a pivot bushing in the F250. Had the Squatted look going on for the first day or so.

It did help the ride and steering substantially, Still need to figure out why one of my spring shackles hits the frame.

Attached Images     
Old 01-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FordTruckfan89
Spent Thursday night , all day Friday and Saturday morning putting in new springs and a pivot bushing in the F250. Had the Squatted look going on for the first day or so.

It did help the ride and steering substantially, Still need to figure out why one of my spring shackles hits the frame.
Always wanted to do that to a truck! Looking good.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:38 PM
FordTruckfan89
Fleet Mechanic
I flipped the spring shackle around and now it doesn't hit, had it aligned at ford today.

Onus, thanks, it took some good size hammers and crow bars to get everything to cooperate.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:31 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
It looks good Dusty, I'd bet that front end is stiffer than what it was. Have you done the rear spring since you've had the truck?

Old 01-16-2016, 02:30 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Not the prettiest, but the battery disconnect switch is easier than undoing terminals until I can get all of the wiring mess fixed, and that short that is eating a battery overnight at times.
And I did get some of the mess for the rear lights cleaned up. And those old crimp connectors replaced with new heat shrink connectors.
We did discover that a left rear axle seal is leaking way worse than I though it was. Hope to replace it and probably the rear brake shoes pretty soon. I'm sure the shoes are ruined from the gear lube that's leaking.
Hope y'all are enjoying this weather while it here.

Attached Images    
Old 01-16-2016, 02:42 PM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Lookin good, Bob

Quick Reply: Official NCFTE Works Thread