Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Modernizing" My 96 OBS F350

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 12:11 PM
96OBSRedTruck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Modernizing" My 96 OBS F350

I'm not sure if this comes up a lot or has any interest to most but it does to me. I'm new here so here is a little back story, I have a 96 F350 XL truck, basic as it can get, 7.3 powerstroke with a 5 speed manual with no power options at all on the inside(but it does have A/C that works amazingly well and hasn't been touched since 96 ) My grandfather bought it brand new back in the day and it was used as a farm truck, it has roughly 140k on it but that's the equivalent to 300k miles with someone else but him driving it, lol! Anyways it's been passed down to me and I'm never going to get rid of it being that it was his and I want to drive it until I die(literally). He was def a function over form guy so I'm fixing his "riggings" one at a time. He completely destroyed the steering column by pulling himself up in the truck for many of years so I found a donor column with some tight bearings a working clock spring and all for $40 so I swapped that in and it made a huge difference in how the truck drives and everything works now(horn included, lol)

The original vinyl seat was destroyed so he went and found this "nice" brown cloth seat and put in it. I've been looking and I want to do bucket seats and a console for sure. I've been looking at some options and without spending a ton it looks like some OBS trucks came with factory buckets and a decent looking small console that had cup holders built in. I'm really missing a good place to put drinks/cell phone/etc so this is my number one priority. With budget in mind whats my best way to convert to buckets with a console? I wouldn't even mind a bench seat if it had a really nice pull down "console" in it.

Anyways, what are some things that people have done to their OBS trucks to make them have some modern conveniences? I've put a CD player in with AUX and new speakers but I'm thinking about switching the head unit for one that's Sirius ready since I really miss sat radio.

Being a n00b here I've been reading as much as I can and I need to do the headlight switch relay mod because I can't seat nothing at night. After that I'm going to get some new lights and maybe some higher wattage bulbs to help remedy this issue.

What are some other things that can be done to help make these trucks more "modern" or comfortable for daily driving. I don't plan on a lot of power mods since they seem to be very expensive to mod but I've done the 6637 filter intake mod, a 6 position tuner and have a full turbo back exhaust and gauges planned and that'll probably be it on power mods until I get some new wheels/tires and at least a front bumper built for the truck. Anyways, thanks guys any help would be appreciated and pics welcomed of any mods/suggestions.

Old 12-12-2015, 01:09 PM
mefast
Senior User
Not sure if yours has it or not, but cruise control might be a nice feature to add if you do a lot of highway driving. A rear beer window can be handy too. Especially if you tend to lock your keys inside and know someone small enough that can fit through it. It also helps to quickly get any hot air out of the cab.

Old 12-12-2015, 02:10 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Do a SEARCH for the seat . it has been cover A LOT

Old 12-12-2015, 02:15 PM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
Seat... covered... A LOT....

Old 12-12-2015, 05:28 PM
eakermeld
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lay-build.html

Here is my build thread for headlight relays. Clouded over lenses will severely reduce your ability to see at night. Have them polished out or get new ones. Higher wattage bulbs will only blind oncoming drivers, and may even be illegal.

Old 12-12-2015, 06:32 PM
96OBSRedTruck
New User
Sorry for asking a question that has been covered by the search feature. I was more so looking for the correct thing to search, like which "option" would be the most budget friendly and then I could do my research on that(if that makes sense). I know the newer model buckets fit but aren't that cheap, would the factory OBS bucket seats be the best budget friendly?

Mine used to have the beer window and it got busted so I picked up a solid one and installed it myself from a junkyard for like 30$ and honestly seem to like how it looks better. Thanks for the info(link) on the headlight relay mod, I done something similar on my 92 Mustang GT, so I'd say it's a similar mod.

I can wetsand and buff the headlights myself(I have for a cheap DIY hold me over mod) but mine have clouded and has moisture on the inside so I'll def be looking at some replacements down the road. It's amazing that it's an old beater truck but even with the tuner/intake just on a low tune since I'm still running factory exhaust it's all smiles when I drive it. I can't wait for the turbo back and gauges so I can turn it up a little more safely, I know it still won't be fast especially compared to these newer trucks but they don't have the sentimental value mine has to me and even though it's just a beat up old farm truck people want to buy it and give me compliments on it all the time. Maybe after I get all the other things done that I want to I can look into a few more items to give it more power but I doubt I do a lot past the basic bolt ons, a good locker in the rear is needed too, mine is an open diff truck

Thanks for the replies guys!