Greasing E-Z lube bearing

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:51 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 457 Likes on 310 Posts
Greasing E-Z lube bearing

So, you buy a fiver with E-Z lube bearing. You want to grease the bearings, but you know not to mix grease types due to compatibility issues? The first time you used the E-Z lube feature, did you pull the bearing and clean out all the old grease first? Probably not, I am guessing. Did you chance it? What did you do?

Dexter instructions say to pump in new grease until you see new grease comes out around the gun, but I doubt that will remove all the old grease. What is the likelihood the manufacturer will actually know the type of grease they use, especially on a unit that was manufactured a few years ago? How great is the possibility of problems with compatibility?

Any thoughts?

Steve

Old 12-12-2015, 07:01 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Steve - if you buy used - or even new for that matter, you have no idea what grease was used and its compatibility. Then with that used trailer, and in your case, one that is 7-8 years old, don't you want to see what those Chinese bearings and those Dexter brakes look like, especially since there was a problem with Dexter's friction material bonding about '08? Our new 5er had a couple bearings - outers - that were dark, possibly had run hot and the grease was way thinner (think Vaseline) then the recommended Mystic that I used. Even after pulling ours 7K after a repack and outer bearing replacement, will be pulling a wheel or 4 in the spring before we wander away from home again.

Oh an d Dexter recommends 12K/12mos between visual inspection though 12K and 24 aare more reasonable - think older cars and their recommendations

Old 12-12-2015, 07:11 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I pulled the wheels at 12K. I have dexters ez lube.

I was neglectful and should have done something sooner but didn't.

In my case it worked out ok. Since mine is a newer (2013) I was confident in the type of grease per dexter website and should have just greased them last summer.

I will be doing so from now on. But If I don't see the grease come out in short order I will pull the wheel and manually grease them.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:14 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Yeah, I am going to pull them, but the question I posted crossed my mind when I was rereading my bearing manual and E-Z lube instructions more along the lines of "I wonder how big an issue this is?"

I don't think there is the remotest possibility that most owners consider grease type so right out of the gate, the first time they add grease I suspect they use what they have on hand and would be surprised if most even are aware of the compatibility issue. Same thing at dealerships, but I, at least, don't see very many bearing problems, until things are well aged.

Steve

Old 12-12-2015, 07:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I am sure as long as it says wheel bearing grease they would use it. High temp would not even matter to them.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:23 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Scott, here is the thing. I don't know that you were neglectful. The whole how often and what with gets kind of hazy to me. You had the E-Z lubes and the manual emphasizes end play as critical, but it also says not to remove the cartridge bearing unless you intend to replace it. It seems like the E-Z kind of confuses maintenance. the manual says to inspect them every 12,000 miles, which you did, but it doesn't say to do a thing to them if they look good.

Maybe I am missing something?

Steve

Old 12-12-2015, 07:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
You might be right. I just went off of what I thought was best at the time. At every stop I feel the hubs and all was ok so I just went along my way.

I was neglectful in the sense that my intentions were to pull them and inspect yearly and I didn't.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Steve - E-Z Lubes are automotive type bearings and really little concern with end play beyond tighten down, then back off about an eighth of a turn so you can install the nut retainer. Your post sounds like you are referring to Nevr-Lube bearings with their so called replaceable capsuled bearings which are not greaseable and do have a specific end play check. These two Dexter designs do not have interchangeable parts. If you fail an E-Z Lube part, chances are that you just replace a bearing. If you fail a Nevr-Lube, there is probably better then a 75% chance that you will need an entire new $500+ axle assembly (Been there, done that!!). Then even the Nevr-Lube have a couple different sizes - 42mm bearing assy., used on 5200 and 6000 pound axles and the 50mm assy. used on the 7000 pound plus axles. There are few failures on the heavier duty units while that 42mm about did Glendale/Titanium in financially.

I really hope your new 5er does not havet the Nevr-Lube

Old 12-12-2015, 08:56 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Actually I was referring the E-Z Lube manual which I have downloaded. It makes a very big deal about end play. Gives exact measurements for tire movement and how to measure it.

Steve

Old 12-12-2015, 09:35 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Actually I was referring the E-Z Lube manual which I have downloaded. It makes a very big deal about end play. Gives exact measurements for tire movement and how to measure it.

Steve
I guess I've never seen that and I do have a hard copy and will look at it but to think about it, IMHO, that's virtually impossible with the retainer they use. These spindles are the same design that I had on a '37 Ford or even my various newer cars up to front wheel drive - tighten 'til snug then back off far enough to insert the cotter pin - and also how Uncle Sam's US Army 'taught' me back in the Dark Ages. The only difference here is that Dexter uses a press on nut retainer that does the same thing as a cotter pin.

Old 12-12-2015, 09:41 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I tightened mine If I recall to 50 ft lbs, then backed off and hand tight. As your torgue then down spin the wheel.

Last edited by senix; 12-12-2015 at 10:03 AM. Reason: corrected the torque spec.
Old 12-12-2015, 11:15 AM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Steve - E-Z Lubes are automotive type bearings and really little concern with end play beyond tighten down, then back off about an eighth of a turn so you can install the nut retainer. Your post sounds like you are referring to Nevr-Lube bearings with their so called replaceable capsuled bearings which are not greaseable and do have a specific end play check. These two Dexter designs do not have interchangeable parts. If you fail an E-Z Lube part, chances are that you just replace a bearing. If you fail a Nevr-Lube, there is probably better then a 75% chance that you will need an entire new $500+ axle assembly (Been there, done that!!). Then even the Nevr-Lube have a couple different sizes - 42mm bearing assy., used on 5200 and 6000 pound axles and the 50mm assy. used on the 7000 pound plus axles. There are few failures on the heavier duty units while that 42mm about did Glendale/Titanium in financially.

I really hope your new 5er does not havet the Nevr-Lube
We made friends with a couple that had a Titanium 5ver and had a Nev-R-Lube bearing failure and the problem was Glendale RV didn't use 0 offset wheels like Dexter required.

Denny

Old 12-12-2015, 01:12 PM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rvpuller
We made friends with a couple that had a Titanium 5ver and had a Nev-R-Lube bearing failure and the problem was Glendale RV didn't use 0 offset wheels like Dexter required.

Denny
Yep, 10mm or .394 inch(~3/8"), that for sure was part of the problem. The rest of the problem is that the bearings are just too dang small for a 5er that weighs well North of 12K in anything larger then the 28E33TS model (which is still over 12K). That is exactly the same bearing that I had in my '80s Mustangs that only weighed in at 3200 pounds or way less then a 1000 pounds per side in the rear -- and they too failed, taking out axles.

Nevr-Lube - and yes, these were real close to total failure:

E-Z Lube replacement for above (complete with minor forging defect):

Old 12-12-2015, 05:30 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I've never seen a 42mm axle, it looks a lot lighter than the 50mm ones I have. I would have to say they went cheap on the axles and used the wrong wherls.

Denny

Old 12-13-2015, 05:49 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by rvpuller
I've never seen a 42mm axle, it looks a lot lighter than the 50mm ones I have. I would have to say they went cheap on the axles and used the wrong wheels.

Denny
Denny,
Dexter 5200 and 6000 pound capacity are 42 mm while 7000 pound are 50mm and yes, they are tiny for that capacity and why replacement dollars were well spent for my peace of mind once seen. Thankfully Dexter replaced most Titanium owners 5er either free with Glendale's dollars or at a very reduced cost to those of us who were late to the party or second owners.

Quick Reply: Greasing E-Z lube bearing