Buying a '47 1/2 Ton

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Rasberistoli
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions Please...

I'm considering changing the wheels. Same steel wheels with 1/2 moon caps and white walls OR crager ss w/ black walls? I like both...

Old 12-14-2015, 10:24 AM
SStans
Tuned
Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
....I'd be taking a careful at the bottoms of those doors. That brown patch along the bottom could mean an after thought type fix. Which could mean poorly fixed rusty doors. Which could mean a bunch of work to fix/replace. I've seen patched up lower rust carefully concealed with a "nice" stripe of paint.
...And the running boards ... Wood??? Nice/decent/straight original running boards are very hard to come by for these trucks. Especially the 1/2 ton pickup. Obviously the owner couldn't find any...
Things to think on....
Stan. ...........

Old 12-14-2015, 12:44 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Did you get any pics showing the build process on your pickup? There has been more than one vehicle used in the build.
Since you are thinking of using Crager ss wheels I am thinking you are not completely satisfied with the look of the truck.
You are at a really good starting point if you want to change the look.

You can either go here:

Or here:

Or someplace in between. Right now you are leaning towards the former.

I don't think you are ready for Crager SS wheels yet. Maybe you could start with taking off the hubcaps.

If you are ready to take the leap we are here to help!

Old 12-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Rasberistoli
New User
Yeah...hopefully somewhere in between. I got about 2 dozen pics of the build. I'll post them later this week. BTW, I think I used to have a suit just like that one you posted...LOL. Thanks for the laugh.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:40 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, very nice truck. How about wheels and hubcaps like the spare? Welcome to the crew!

Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 PM
christurney77
Elder User
Gary... That is the same idea I was going to throw out there! If it were mine, I would try to match the spare!!! Welcome to the forum as well!

Old 12-14-2015, 04:31 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SStans
....I'd be taking a careful at the bottoms of those doors. That brown patch along the bottom could mean an after thought type fix. Which could mean poorly fixed rusty doors. Which could mean a bunch of work to fix/replace. I've seen patched up lower rust carefully concealed with a "nice" stripe of paint.
...And the running boards ... Wood??? Nice/decent/straight original running boards are very hard to come by for these trucks. Especially the 1/2 ton pickup. Obviously the owner couldn't find any...
Things to think on....
Stan. ...........
You know, I was thinking the same thing on that brown strip on the doors. Kinda jumps out at you and you wonder why. And when you mentioned rust repair, it all came flooding back. Once many years ago I bondoed up the bottom of a Bronco tailgate and used 3M undercoating on the strip,lol.
I know this is nitpicking a darn nice truck but I've never been a fan of body colored bumpers. And the hood latch and trim in the same poo brown as the door bottoms is just wrong. Get on ebay and get chrome ones to match that nice chrome grill. I also vote stock hubcaps, maybe with wider rims and fatter tires on the back for just a bit of tire rake. The wood running boards....not horrible but would look a lot better with rounder edges.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:24 PM
Rasberistoli
New User
Ran a magnet all around the lower door area. Seems ok...

Ran a magnet all around it.

Some kind of sealer on inside and bottom.

Looks like wood over the top of running board.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:56 PM
tacomacream
Fleet Mechanic
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
The painter's flair for design. It looks like the original metal running boards are intact. Looking Good!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:13 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Hmm, I'd have to see those running boards. What you can see don't look bad. My guess is the bottoms of the doors had some rust repair. The undercoating can kinda hide welds ect. Probably plenty solid now. With new door checks and rubbers around $9 a pair plus shipping, can't see re-using old crusty ones.
But hey, we can all find things and in reality, mine will never be that nice.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:14 PM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I also vote for reproduction of original hub caps, with trim rings. If that doesn't work for you any Ford passenger car hubcap made between 1940 and 1948 will go right on the original wheels.

That raises another question, does the truck have the original wheels? With the full wheel covers you may not have wheels with the original "innie" hubcap bumps.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:43 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by 38 coupe
I also vote for reproduction of original hub caps, with trim rings. If that doesn't work for you any Ford passenger car hubcap made between 1940 and 1948 will go right on the original wheels.

That raises another question, does the truck have the original wheels? With the full wheel covers you may not have wheels with the original "innie" hubcap bumps.
I'm hoping he does....

Old 12-15-2015, 09:04 AM
FireEngineMike
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking truck. I hope you have a lot of fun with it. Post 23, picture 5 shows the door check arm that controls how far the door opens. You need a new rubber bumper on it. They are $1 to $2 each and will keep the doors from hitting the fenders.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:10 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
I'm hoping he does....
I'm guessing there aren't original 16 inch wheels under those 70s 15 inch wheel covers.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Rasberistoli
New User
Willowbilly 3 you are correct...the spare is 16" the rest are 15". The 15" wheels also have about 40 years of paint built up underneath the caps. Would love to save some money and reuse them but feel like the truck deserves new wheels...

Quick Reply: Buying a '47 1/2 Ton