6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Code P0170-Power Fuel Trim (Bank 1)

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 08:14 PM
Big_Red_1993_F250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See attached .pdf from Ford Superduty Specific OBD Diagnostics for P0170.

"􀀩􀁘􀁈􀁏􀀃􀀰􀁄􀁖􀁖􀀃􀀲􀁅􀁖􀁈􀁕􀁙􀁈􀁕􀀃􀀋􀀪􀁏􀁒􀁅􀁄􀁏􀀃􀀩􀁘􀁈􀁏􀀃􀀥􀁌􀁄􀁖􀀌􀀝􀀃
Fuel Mass Observer (FMO) is an algorithm used to detect deviations in performance of all injectors from nominal. The oxygen percentage as measured by the tailpipe oxygen sensor is compared to a modeled oxygen percentage based upon current fuel, boost, and EGR settings. Deviation between the observed and modeled oxygen percentage is expressed in terms of the error in fueling required to explain the deviation. This calculated error in
fueling is then divided by the current requested fueling level to generate a ratio of percentage error in fueling. This fueling ratio is then filtered over time. If the filtered error in fueling ratio exceeds minimum or maximum limits, then
a code is set."

P0170 : if the absolute value of the filtered ratio of error in fueling exceeds 0.19, this code is set.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
P0170.pdf (25.4 KB, 961 views)
Old 11-06-2017, 06:18 PM
BMCM
Junior User
2300 miles later and no codes appeared.
Fuel mileage was as expected and no issues with performance.
As the 3/36 warranty times-out in 5 days, thought it would be a good time to visit
Flood Ford and see what extended warranty options might be available.
Did a little bit of checking and their prices were the best.
rw

Old 11-07-2017, 03:09 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Subscribing to this too.

This weekend I drove from Alberta to BC and back. ~2800kms in 40hours.

I had this code come on for the first time on the way there, at about 92K kms. On the way back it came on twice. And had it come in once back at home yesterday(still with a trailer in tow empty)

Fuel filters and air filter are recently new prior to this.

The truck has been deleted running a Mini Maxx since 700kms. EGR removed at ~2500kms, after market intake at the same time and I haven't had a problem at all, currently a few shy of 95K kms at home now post trip.

A couple of recent variables between: always running in Hot on the MM, to now running on tow on my way to BC with a 18' trailer. Winter fuel recently introduced, significant elevation changes over the mountain pass, winter weather and temp swings across the trip. I've never used any kind of fuel additive.

I've been clearing the codes since I can't remote start with a CEL. No changes to performance. Fuel mileage climbed but that's only because of the trip and towing. I'll be back running empty and on the Hot tune to see if it lingers again, as well as the mileage going down to normal. Otherwise I'm not sure what to offer for my diagnosing. I was thinking of replacing the fuel pressure switch (BC3Z-9S599-C) as others have mentioned if it comes back, and see if it clears by itself afterwards.

Old 04-08-2018, 06:24 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought I would update you guys on this code issue,
Since starting this thread back on 12/10/2015 ,I still have this issue hoping up. After the first service it seem to be fine for awhile. Then the code would come up every once in awhile and the only issue I cold tell from it is the remote start would't start because of the CEL. Overtime I spoke with the service desk about getting the truck in, it was always a week out for an appointment, and then they would need it for a day or two depending on when they could get to . I really couldn't afford for it to sit down there for that period of time just for them to check a code that I can read myself.

Fast forward to today. the code has popped at least once every two months for close to the last six months, It does not come back right away after clearing the code. The only two issues I have noticed with the truck in the last 8 months or so is the fuel milage is constant between 12.5 and 13.5 normal driving(highway/town). The other thing that has come up is there is a noticeable vibration in the brake peddle snd steering well that is starting to drive me crazy. Last month when I had it at the dealership for the water pump replacement and asked them to look into the code issue and vibration issue, I was told there is nothing wrong and they couldn't do anything about the code if it wasn't active. So basically, I'm still dealing with the code issue and haven't found any remedies for it yet. also, as for the vibration issue, I've made sure that my oil level was not to high as others have reported to be the cause of their vibration issue,

Still looking for answers!

Brice

Old 04-08-2018, 09:04 PM
displacement4me
More Turbo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the update.

I haven't driven the truck much since I posted above you. I did take it on a road trip 500kms each way to an airport in March, it threw the code once each direction. That was unloaded and back running my MiniMaxx on Hot - so it isn't trailer or tune specific. I recently started playing with Forscan, and deleted any stored DTC's it picked up (did not have a CEL at the time). I'll familiarize myself more with what Forscan is capable of and connect to it the next time I show CEL for this P0170.

Old 04-08-2018, 10:00 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...170-issue.html

Doesn't look like the above thread was cross referenced here so thought I would add it.

Old 04-09-2018, 07:25 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Displacement4me,
I've also been looking into Forscan for awhile.
I have TorquePro now but haven't been able to come up with a combination of sensors to watch for the issue.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:07 PM
Javier Ontiveros Jr
New User
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
Man, with over 900 views and no responses I must have the only truck with this issue.
I am having the same problem did you find out what it was?

Old 01-13-2019, 07:24 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
This was me in June 2006:

Originally Posted by JohnD333
Dealer checked pinoutps. All ok. Turned out check engine light and sent me on my way. Story remains Ford is aware and working on fix but nothing yet.

So, engine light on every 1,000 miles in last 4,000 now every 150 miles? What if I did not spend good money on a tablet , Bluetooth doggle and TorquePro app? I would be SOL and check into a dealer ever 150 miles. Give me a break... oops, don't mean that, but this sucks for for 15 month old $70k vehicle wi 40k miles.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:27 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
I made it about 4 weeks and 3k miles before code came back. They found a bad injector; did refresh as part of install. They did not think either would help. I put 15k miles on in the next 15 months with no codes. Then, last May, at about 60k mikes, out of blue truck running very rough and mpg goes to about 6 empty. Zero codes, but easy for dealer to "replicate" the problem. I drove with them to be sure it would not be a wasted trip. Turned out to be another injector. Injector was on backorder so was without truck for a week. Was refreshed as part of install. I am at 70k miles now. Codes has not returned.

my guess, a re-flash fixed it.

A long time ago, others found fuel treatment caps in fuel tank Ford use a camera down filler pipe to "see" if there. If there, owner pays to drop and clean tank. That was not my problem.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:10 AM
Pete_Ewing
New User
I've had this DTC pop up on my truck, 3 times in the last month (the second 2 times, two weeks to the day after the previous one)...I cleared the first instance figuring it may be an anomaly, the second time I changed the fuel filters, and this last time, just before I connected my OBD-II reader, when I started the truck, the "Check Engine" light had gone out, but the code was still there. I took it to my local mechanic and he told me the ECM/ECU needs to be re-flashed and updated...and they can't do it, so I need to take it to the dealership. I get the general idea of a re-flash and updates, just don't know what to expect...or how much it might cost. Would appreciate any insight anyone here can give me on this.

TYIA!!!!!

Old 02-16-2019, 11:11 AM
Pete_Ewing
New User
P-0170 DTC

Deleted the repeated post

Old 02-16-2019, 11:39 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
you can figure at least one hour in diagnostic fee's.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:20 AM
2015NOW
New User
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
Hello fellows,

Posting an update to the P0170 code.

I scheduled an appointment with my local ford dealer. Prior to dropping the truck off I noticed that when I was sitting at a stop light the truck had a slight shake to it and it seemed like the pinging was more pronounced. After a couple of days at the dealer they let me know that it was GTG.

When I picked up the truck, the service desk person said the diesel tech didn't find anything wrong. Which amazes me because when I dropped it off it had the check engine light on and again the P0170 code was displayed.

The service advisor then told me the tech reset the fuel system HIGH pressure side and reset Min. fuel mass adaptation all cylinders. When I asked if nothing was wrong then why the reset he said, "just to be sure."

After leaving the dealership, I noticed it seemed like the truck still had a louder then usual ping sound to it. After driving it for a few days I noticed the GPM was running way low. Not the 15 to 15.5 that I had before but in the low 10 to high 9 GPM. When I talked to the dealership again a couple of days later the response was because of the resets the truck would have to re-learn itself when being driven.

So after driving the truck for a couple of weeks to work and home, 18 mile round trip and mostly country roads with an average speed between 45 and 55 MPH, the miles per gallon is only reading 13ish.

So today after eating lunch, I went to remote start the truck when we were across the parking lot. Yep, got the horn beep and no remote start. After turning on the engine with the key, the engine light stayed on. After getting home and checking the codes, once again I have the P0170 code and now a P06EA (knock sensor) code to go along with it.

Here is a picture of the the service report they gave me when I picked up the truck.

Any thoughts?

Brice
did you ever get that P0170 figured out. I've had it pop up a few times not now after doing some checks and blowing off the maf sensor. Waiting on appt to reflash pcm/tcm

Old 10-03-2019, 01:23 PM
bobf350
Freshman User
After 3000 miles with no problems I just had P0170 pop up for the first time in my new-to-me 2015. The one thing I haven't seen in this thread is the mention of regen's. I was about half way through a regen when I had to stop for about 20 minutes. I noticed the light when I started driving again. The truck seems to run fine. Given the frequency with which people are getting this code, I wonder if it's related to incomplete DPF regen's.

This is the first time that I've been driving when I haven't been able to let a regen finish. I was curious to see if it would restart. It didn't. The meter was at 50% when I started driving again.

Quick Reply: Code P0170-Power Fuel Trim (Bank 1)