6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Code P0170-Power Fuel Trim (Bank 1)

Old 05-06-2016, 07:52 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Some more helpful info course of obd-codes.com:

Speaks to Mercedes and gassers but they have the Bosch fuel system too.

P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) OBD-II Trouble Code Technical Description Article by Dale Toalston ASE Certified Technician Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) What does that mean? This code is one that surfaces with certain makes of automobiles more than others. In writing this article I've added Mercedes-Benz-specific info since it seems that M-B (and VW) are most prone to having this P0170 surface along with misfire codes or other fuel trim codes. P0170 means there was a malfunction in the computer's control of the air:fuel ratio. It also indicates that the fuel trims reached their limit of adding fuel while trying to compensate for a actual or perceived rich condition. When the fuel trims reach their rich correction limit, the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) sets a P0170, indicating a problem or malfunction in the fuel trims. It may also have a P0173 referring to the same malfunction but on bank two. Symptoms Symptoms of a P0170 DTC may include: MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) Illumination Start and stall Poor fuel economy Black smoke at tailpipe Hesitation/misfire at idle or under load Causes Potential causes include a vacuum leak, unmetered air leaks Fuel saturated engine oil Leak in turbo air charge hoses (if equipped) Possibly bad O2 sensor (If Mercedes, may require adaptation with M-Benz compatible scan tool.) Oil contamination in MAF connector or O2 sensor connectors. Also check ignition coils, cam and crank sensors, and oil sensor for leakage contributing to oil intrusion in wiring harness. Defective MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor (especially on Mercedez-Benz and other European autos. There are a lot of problems with aftermarket MAF sensors.) Defective fuel pressure regulator Leaking camshaft adjuster solenoids (Mercedes-Benz). NOTE: for some Mercedes-Benz models there is a service recall for a crankcase vent hose located under the intake manifold. It should be checked for leaks/cracking and also operation of check valve in the hose. The check valve should flow only one way. Possible Solutions It should be stated right off the bat that the most common problem associated with this code is the MAF sensor or air mass meter. This is especially the case with Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen and other European cars. At time of writing, you don't normally see this code with American-made cars, and minimally with Asian, and, to be honest, I have no idea why. It appears to me that the PCM (powertrain control module) logic used by some European car manufacturers to set a P0170 (or P0173) fault code simply isn't used by American vehicle manufacturers. It is more common to see P0171, 0174, 0172, 0175 codes set with regard to fuel trim malfunctions on American cars. There is very little information on the setting conditions for a P0170, or P0173, but what information that is available almost seems to be a redundancy of the P0171,4,2 & 5 setting conditions. I'm sure there's a reason for it, but I can't get anyone to tell me what that is. The similarities between them may be why we don't see this code surface on domestic vehicles very often. It's simply unnecessary. So, simply put, if you have a P0170, your PCM noticed that the fuel trims reached their rich correction limit. Basically it's adding fuel to try to compensate for a lean condition, real or perceived. If you have this code and access to a scan tool, observe the MAF sensor reading in grams/sec. The reading will be different for different automobiles, so get a good spec. I'm going to stick with what would be normal for a Mercedes (1.8L), since they have the bulk of the trouble. Expect to see at idle 3.5-5 g/s (ideally). At 2500 RPMs with no load it should be between 9 and 12 g/s. On road test, at WOT (wide open throttle) it should be 90 g/s or well above. If it's not in specs, replace it. Be careful of Ebay MAFs. Often they don't work according to OE specifications. If the MAF checks out and there is no oil intrusion at the connector, check fuel pressure and ensure that there are no leaks at the regulator internally or externally. Check all vacuum hoses and confirm none are cracked, disconnected or missing. Make sure there are no vacuum leaks at the intake manifold gaskets or tears in the air supply hose. If the engine is turbo charged, be sure the hoses are in good condition and have no leaks. Leaking turbo pressure hoses could cause a rich condition. Inspect the condition of crankcase vent hose under intake manifold and operation of check valve in the hose. (In the "What are the causes?" section) If there doesn't appear to be any problems with the fuel pressure, MAF or vacuum hoses, then inspect the O2 sensor connectors for oil intrusion. A bad O2 sensor could cause a P0170, or P0173. Repair cause of oil leak and replace oil-fouled O2 sensor.

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0170
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Old 05-06-2016, 07:55 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
At dealer now. Hope they know this and more.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:12 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Just released from dealer. No joy.

Ford is aware of the issue, but has no fix. Ford instructed dealer to clear the code, and send me down the road. Ford will contact the dealer and me directly when they have a fix.

Old 05-06-2016, 11:49 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
I had Re flash two months (12,000 miles) ago. I now have 36,000 miles. Sounds like I just got the Re flash that is supposed to fix massive shaking/knock during regen. It is done automatically without asking me. Was not expect to fix the issue, just did it in matter of course.

A state earlier Ford has no fix for the fault code - just cleared code and sent me on my way. However, looks like they did pin tests. I could be for the various sensors id'd in other postings. Services report pasted before.

"CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS NO Cause: CC42, PCM, IDS TEST HAD CODE P0170, RAN OASIS FOUND SSMFOR CONCERN, Correction: FOLLOWED SSM 45737, DID PINPOIT TEST W9 READINGS NORMAL,TEST J7NORMAL,J9 MAF IN NORMAL RANGE,DID TEST KA-KA11, NOCONCERNS FOUND, DID TESTM1,M2(YES),M3(YES),M4(NO),M5(YES)M6(YES),M9(YE S),M12(YES)M14(YES),M15(NO), NOCOCERNS FOUND,FOUND LATER CALIBRATION, REPROGRAMMED PCM WITH LATEST CAL.TESTDRIVE, RETURNED TO CUSTOMER, Part NumberPart DescriptionParts Total:$ 0.00Job # 1 Total

Old 06-01-2016, 12:32 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Update:

Put a little more than 3K miles on it in the 3 weeks since Ford sent me on my way with no known fix for my condition.

Got same check engine light about every 1,000 miles. First time after Ford I was 1,000 mile from home. I checked code with Torque pro. Yup, P0170 again so I turned fault off. Ran another 1,000 miles and check engine was on again with same code. After about a dozen key turn off turn on cycles in 120 miles it went off by itself. 1,000 Miles it was back on. Same light off after a dozen or so shutdowns.

Had other issues with tranny, so went back to dealer. I reported that every 1k miles each time I confirmed it was the same P0170 and want to be sure it went into Oasis. They did did see the record of the last two fault codes and did pin tests again, and this time injector #3 was was indicated as faulty and was replaced.

Too soon to say if this is fixed. Presumably it is and if so I won't post here again.

Old 06-01-2016, 01:22 AM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Although I haven't thrown this code in awhile my fuel milage has dropped to 14.5 on the last couple of tanks.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Bkuu..,

I just turned 40k miles. Ford calls for the foam air filter to be replaced at 40k; the paper air filter when the green-yellow-red indicator is in the red zone. I never saw yellow, let alone red, but changed the paper one too. Paper was not clean but not horrible either. There were a lot of dead bugs and leaves I the bottom of the air box.

Air filters can affect mileage. Below posts indicate dust in air box a possibility, as well as several other such as a bad injector. Air conditioner on season always costs me 1mpg or so.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Update:

Bad news. Engine light back on with same code 145 mile after #3 injector replaced. Back to the Ford dealer. Will probably need to rent a car get to the wedding 1k miles away and stay stay in a hotel rather than 5er. Dejevu...

Old 06-03-2016, 12:04 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
More like Deja Poo... The feeling the same chit is going to happen again.

I feel for you - it stinks when you can't trust your vehicle.

When the code comes on does it affect the truck in any way? Or is it just a CEL illuminating?

Old 06-04-2016, 10:01 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Update:

Dealer checked pinoutps. All ok. Turned out check engine light an sent me on my way. Story remains Ford is aware and working on fix but nothing yet.

So, engine light on every 1,000 miles in last 4,000 now every 150 miles? What if I did not spend good money on a tablet , Bluetooth doggle and TorquePro app? I would be SOL and check into a dealer ever 150 miles. Give me a break... oops, don't mean that, but this sucks for for 15 month old $70k vehicle wi 40k miles. Plain sucks.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:16 AM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Update

3 weeks and 3,000 miles later - have not had any more check engine lights with this code or any other.

Knock wood

No idea why.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:06 PM
Teklanis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time poster, but long time reference user. Had my 2015 f250 pop a CEL @ 42k miles and got P0170 on my code reader. This is the thread I found trying to figure out the implications. Happy to say my visit to the dealer today resulted in a replaced MAF sensor and a broken plug replaced. My truck seems to have perked back up and fuel mileage increased even with a 35mph headwind. With the long list of possible causes as listed above, I was glad it was that simple. Thanks to all of you guys with input and information for the rest of us.

Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 PM
bkuuz1
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Teklanis,

When you say a replaced MAF and broken plug are you referring to the plug for the MAF?

I haven't thrown the code since winter. I'm expecting for it to pop up when it hits 20F.

Brice

Old 09-26-2016, 10:31 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
It is now 10k miles and 2vee flashes later. No more codes... knock wood.

Originally Posted by JohnD333
Update

3 weeks and 3,000 miles later - have not had any more check engine lights with this code or any other.

Knock wood

No idea why.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:02 AM
Teklanis
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bkuuz1
Teklanis,

When you say a replaced MAF and broken plug are you referring to the plug for the MAF?

I haven't thrown the code since winter. I'm expecting for it to pop up when it hits 20F.

Brice
From what I can tell on the paperwork it was the pigtail to the MAF. Not sure how or why it broke a wire inside, but glad it got coverage too. My mpg was in the toilet for a while so no telling how long it was an issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Code P0170-Power Fuel Trim (Bank 1)