Bullet Proof now or later

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 09:01 AM
biminifred
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bullet Proof now or later

Good morning;

I have an 05 X, 4x4, with the 6.0 (04 manufacture date), 104K miles, which is currently stock. The code is activated indicating an issue with the turbo, so I am planning to replace/ upgrade it. I am also considering upgrading the air intake and the muffler. If I do this amount of improvements, should I add the studs for the heads (bullet proof) now or can that wait?

Also, this is a great web site and has already provided great advice for correcting my prior steering wandering issue. Thanks to everyone who has put the site/threads together.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:11 AM
mecdac
Lead Driver
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Do it now, get all the work out of the way and enjoy your truck.

Old 12-10-2015, 09:44 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I wouldn't bother studding it until you have a blown head gasket. Why fix what isn't broken?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:50 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
A few of my observations as the former owner of 6.0 motors one of which I put the n ARP studs but it still blew up 3 more times.

1. most problamitic 6.0 motors show their evil side before 100k
2. If ain't broke don't fix it.
3. No such thing as a "bullet proof" 6.0, bullet proof was the name of the company who solved the EGR cooler problem.
4. ARP studs help but do not stop blown head gaskets.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:43 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Just do the upgrades that you want, but be ready because it could strike at any time.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:35 PM
dougger222
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My buddy does a fair amount of "bullet proofing". He typically does EGR, head studs, and oil filter mod plus one or two more things. He's done a few head steads without replacing the head gasket and they are working well. His cheapest "bullet proofing" is $6K and his most expensive is $15K which needed both heads, injectors, and a turbo.

His opinion like others have mentioned is "bullet proofing" helps make the motor better but there's still problems that will arise with the 6.0 even if it's been "fixed".

Old 12-10-2015, 02:11 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You probably wouldn't be asking this if you had purchased a 7.3L. But if it were me (assuming I could afford it) I would opt for doing it sooner rather than later. Because auto repair prices don't usually go down but get more expensive as time goes by.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:44 PM
Magilla_v6.0
Senior User
What code do you have for the turbo? They can be serviced for much cheaper. Replace the unison ring and cleaning everything will take care of most problems.

I have a 04 6.0 also, 135k on her. No studs yet but egr is gone and oil cooler has been rebuilt, most hg problems stem from those two things.

I am not planning on studs until it pops.

Old 12-11-2015, 09:03 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by RBerry9511
You probably wouldn't be asking this if you had purchased a 7.3L. But if it were me (assuming I could afford it) I would opt for doing it sooner rather than later. Because auto repair prices don't usually go down but get more expensive as time goes by.
No, he would be asking which transmission to use, how to replace every O-ring in the thing to slow down the leaks, how to replace the up pipes etc

Old 12-11-2015, 11:35 PM
RBerry9511
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
No, he would be asking which transmission to use, how to replace every O-ring in the thing to slow down the leaks, how to replace the up pipes etc
Lol ok I sort of asked for that......all in good fun..

Old 12-12-2015, 12:19 AM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Don't fix what ain't broke

Old 12-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have to do injectors, I would recommend doing the studs at the same time.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:48 PM
Peace2Peep
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I know some people say if it isn't broke don't fix it. I come from a different camp...don't be left on the side of the road...EVER.

Here's how:

1. Do not upgrade to any performance level other than stock

2. If you are upgrading the turbo, you will need injectors to realize said power(then stud it) and downpipe/exhaust!

3. If you are upgrading turbo then use custom tunes(then stud it)

4. If you are looking to do any upgrades in the future(stud it)

5. If you are studding...take the heads to a machine shop for deck surfacing(which many modder and studders do not do and it costs them) Even new heads are not true.

6. The work on your truck is ONLY as good as the mechanic that works on it! People who complain it did not help may have experienced shoddy work.

7. EGR work is necessary..in my opinon.

8. Coolant filtration is cheap insurance.

9. Eat healthy

10. Merry Christmas!

Old 12-14-2015, 08:53 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by Peace2Peep
I know some people say if it isn't broke don't fix it. I come from a different camp...don't be left on the side of the road...EVER.

Here's how:

1. Do not upgrade to any performance level other than stock

2. If you are upgrading the turbo, you will need injectors to realize said power(then stud it) and downpipe/exhaust!

3. If you are upgrading turbo then use custom tunes(then stud it)

4. If you are looking to do any upgrades in the future(stud it)

5. If you are studding...take the heads to a machine shop for deck surfacing(which many modder and studders do not do and it costs them) Even new heads are not true.

6. The work on your truck is ONLY as good as the mechanic that works on it! People who complain it did not help may have experienced shoddy work.

7. EGR work is necessary..in my opinon.

8. Coolant filtration is cheap insurance.

9. Eat healthy

10. Merry Christmas!
Well said, I'll add my experience.....

When I was in the market for my 6.0 Excursion, I planned on buying with the intention of driving it stock and building it as things went along, provided the truck was healthy.

Things didn't quite turn out that way....

The long and short of it is that I bought my truck 700 miles from home and prior to me handing them the check, when I roadtested the truck, I found it had a clogged oil cooler and leaking EGR cooler that caused the truck to puke under hard acceleration.

Regardless of this, I purchased the truck since it had what I wanted and I had the money to fix the problem. I dropped it off at PSE with the intention of getting the oil cooler fixed and the EGR deleted. However, Dorian talked me into getting studs done, since it wouldn't be that much more and I didn't want to have to think about it ever again. I'm glad he did, because now I drive and enjoy my truck instead of having to constantly wonder when or if my heads will blow or leak.

My stance: if you have the money to stud the truck and have a reputable shop go through the engine, do it. It's peace of mind; a reputable shop will reseal everything on the engine itself so you don't have to worry about leaks or anything expensive down the road. The thing is, life will throw you some financial curve ball's and 6.0 issues have a tendency to catch you with your pants down in the woods. This is why I just went ahead and had my truck studded.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 PM
A Rodder
Posting Guru
Did you run a spread on the oil vs water temps?

I dropped my new 04 off today for work.
The deltas were 12/14 degrees off and it's cold outside.
We are having the coolant system flushed, new oem cooler installed, egr delete via freeze plugs, coolant filter done (I had already had it purchased) check and clean the unison ring and turbo and resurface the ex manifolds as I dint have a lot of boost.

Total cost is 1600.

Tech did a test when I bought it to check gaskets and egr system.

Gaskets are not leaking.

He recommended not worry about it. If yours are not leaking now. Ditch the egr, verify cooler is functioning properly and roll the dice.
This 04 has 196k