6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Just need to vent a little......

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 08:21 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just need to vent a little......

Short Version:
Geez, you can't even trust the dealer to get a oil change right.

Long Version:
So.....story starts with me filling up my DEF tank for the first time last night. I let it run down to right about 130 miles to go. It took almost both containers to fill it. Parked the truck for the night.

This morning, I'm too lazy to get up to fish but I'm up.... Figure, I'll take advantage of the 'Free Oil Change' coupon from the my Ford Owner website. Little early on the mileage (5989 miles) but don't want to run into Christmas - it will be too busy. Get down to my local Ford store where I bought the truck. (Although I've handled most of the periodic maintenance, I've used this dealer on my 7.3 & 6.0 for years for 'big work'.) Check in at the 'Quicklane' counter. Tell them not to rotate the tires or check air pressure since I just did it. I wait for the truck to be done.

Done in a reasonable amount of time. Funny thing is, service writer tells me that they topped off the DEF. I say, "No way that happened. I put almost 5 gallons in last night. The tank only holds 5 gallons". Service guy gives me some lame answer that he must have topped it off. I drive home but wonder if things were done right. It lists the air pressure & tire rotation but they weren't done. That is fine as I told them not to do it. It also lists 2 jugs of DEF.....ah no, that didn't happen. Figure whatever.

What gets me is the 15 15W-40 oil. Dang it...15 quarts is overfilled. Check the dipstick when I get home, yep definitely overfilled. Crawl under the truck to see oil filter leaking. Decide to not touch the oil filter. I also checked the oil about 1/2 hour later.

I drive back to dealer. Ask them what oil they use on the 6.7. He says whatever is printed on the cap. I tell them it says 15W-40 on the paperwork which is an approved oil but not what is listed on the cap. I also tell him it should be 10-30 dino or 5-40 synthetic. I then tell him the filter is leaking. It either wasn't tightened or the tech didn't ensure the gasket came off. I tell them that is the oil weight and quantity I used for my 7.3 and 6.0. 6.7 is supposed to get 13 quarts. Quick Lane service writer tells me that guy put the correct oil & quantity but wrote the ticket wrong. I asked him if he is sure because I checked the oil & the whole 'bullet' comes out wet. I say, "My confidence isn't that high right now."

They made it right but shouldn't the paperwork be correct? An oil change is about as basic as it gets....

Old 12-09-2015, 08:57 PM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
I'd bet you got 15 qts of 15W40 just like the receipt says. Drain 2 and don't go back. Next time Shell Rotella 5W40 at Wally world or Amazon.com for $20 a gallon or so and the Motorcraft filter for $15.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:58 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Sad but a lot of times it is just the low guy doing the work and they don't bother to check on what is required.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 PM
miner999r
Tuned
They forgot to put the filler cap on one time. I didn't check leaving the shop. It was quite a mess under the hood. I check before leaving the shop now!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:00 PM
2civicrr
Senior User
I did check the oil cap & filter before driving off. Like I said, my confidence level wasn't too high. I know they change the oil. The oil cap was in a different position & printing on oil filter was in a different spot. Oil level was right when I checked it at home. Just a bummer that I had too.

I get that the LOF guys are low on the totem pole and training.....but dang!

Copy on the oil & filter from Amazon. Already have the supplies on the shelf. I was trying to save the $$$ but it ended up costing me half a day.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:23 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 500 Likes on 168 Posts
What I see happen a lot is the parts department doesn't get the memo (or in my case doesn't care). They continue to charge the amount of oil they're used to, and since they are using bulk oil, tech is responsible for the dispensing and may very well put the correct amount in but never sees/concerns himself with what amount is charged out.

But after five years of 6.7 oil changes....give me break. They should know better.

Old 12-09-2015, 10:29 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't change my own oil because it saves a little money, I do it because you hear stories like this all to often anymore!

Old 12-09-2015, 10:38 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
china marker for the tires too... I've asked for tire rotations and found that they were not done... I used to sign my oil filters too. Although I do my own oil changes. I have a hard time with the tire rotations and rebalancing.

I used the dealer free oil change coupon and also went in behind them. They did it right.

However, that wasn't the case with two different dealers on my 2011. One messed up the oil change (too much oil) and the other messed up the coolant.

Luckily I trust, but verify.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:30 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I posted about this a couple of times before. I had the same thing happen, too much of the wrong oil. The computer program was wrong ever since the 6.7 came out, maybe it still ain't fixed.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:54 AM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
It is sad this is still occurring. This was happening in mid 2010 when these 13 quart engines were just off the assembly line after many years of 15 quart engines. No reason for this to happen five years later by any Ford dealer!

Old 12-10-2015, 08:55 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2civicrr
Short Version:
Geez, you can't even trust the dealer to get a oil change right...
Hey, folks!

Just a reminder that I can document any feedback (positive or negative) about a dealership experience. Just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal

Old 12-10-2015, 09:58 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
I never leave the quick change oil place at my dealer without having them show me the dip stick oil level. It's always been correct but my dealer seems to have the same people changing oil each time I visit. I certainly know of a local dealer that I wouldn't let put air in my tires. Not all dealers are created equal.

Outside of members here, I know of no people that still change their oil or even work on their vehicles at all. Each time we have a Dealer oil change thread, it always makes me smile to see all the Super Duty people that still maintain their trucks. I wonder if the F150, Escape, Edge, Fusion crowd is this hands on. I doubt it. Seems to be a Super Duty trait that I don't have.

bruce...

Old 12-10-2015, 10:54 AM
SHOpar
Senior User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
Outside of members here, I know of no people that still change their oil or even work on their vehicles at all. Each time we have a Dealer oil change thread, it always makes me smile to see all the Super Duty people that still maintain their trucks. I wonder if the F150, Escape, Edge, Fusion crowd is this hands on. I doubt it. Seems to be a Super Duty trait that I don't have.
I bet if you look at enthusiast forums for any type of car, there's a lot of people that still do their own maintenance. I think it goes with the territory; if you're the type that spends a lot of time on forums about your car, you're more likely the type that is OCD enough to do your own maintenance (I know I am!).

I spend some time on the Focus ST/RS forums, and a lot of those guys do their own work. I've also have been on L-Body, Raptor, SHO, and Ranger forums, and the same goes for them, too. There are even a lot of BMW and Mercedes forum guys that do their own work.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:09 PM
Mystic_Cobra
Elder User
Originally Posted by FordService
Hey, folks!

Just a reminder that I can document any feedback (positive or negative) about a dealership experience. Just PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, dealer info, and any specifics you'd like me to include. I'll do the rest.

Crystal
Crystal, do you have the ability to check and see if the "service guide" is still telling mechanics to put in the wrong amount of oil?

This is crazy.

Old 12-10-2015, 12:31 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
Crystal, do you have the ability to check and see if the "service guide" is still telling mechanics to put in the wrong amount of oil?

This is crazy.
Hi Jimmy,

I don't have access to procedures or shop manuals; I'm sure the service manager at your local dealership would be happy to check for you, though.

Crystal

Quick Reply: Just need to vent a little......