1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

...my good ol' truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:39 PM
Mookie's 85
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...my good ol' truck

So I thought I'd share the story of my truck:

Back in 1985 Mr Mainprize walked onto the local Ford dealership and plunked down $7950 for a brand new F150
then proceeded to drive it every day for the next 30 years. The only thing he ever did was regularly change the oil.
He never once left town or ever drove it beyond the city limits. I didn't know him, but would occasionally see him
driving it around, paint fading, tires balding, and the wheel wells gradually starting to rust. Still ..one cool truck.

This past summer, I decided that it was time for me to finally find a fixer-upper of my own, so I began looking
for an older F150, within a reasonable distance from home. I searched almost every day for a month and a half.

One morning, after searching for about an hour on Kijiji and finding nothing of interest, for some reason
I refreshed the page and BOOM there it was!! "posted six minutes ago" for $1400. To make a long story short,
I bought it on the spot for $1200 without even going to see it. I arranged to meet him the next day, took it for a drive
and fell in love with it. He was kind enough to take my $100 deposit and wait a month til I was able to pay him in full.
The frame was rock solid, the interior was faded but spotless, and every single part under the hood was original
...including the spark plug wires stamped "1985".

Mr Mainprize is a pretty decent guy at 83 years old, and I got to know him a bit. The only reason he sold his truck
to buy a new one, was that he finally decided it was time for a vacation to visit his sister who lived out of town
and felt he needed a new vehicle for his first extended road trip of 37 miles. It was time for him to part with it
and all of the 48,977 original miles he had on the odometer.

So I've spent the past 4 months scrounging around yard sales, scrapyards, and word of mouth, and managed to find
a couple of lightly rusted front fenders, 2 rear repair panels, a cab corner, a new original set of front rotors and pads
(in a lady's closet who's husband long since passed away), and 4 nearly-new Firestone tires mounted on rims.
A friend of mine, a certified mechanic, is only charging me $45/hr to replace a ball joint, spring shackle, plugs,
wires, rotor and cap, muffler/tailpipe, and certify it with a safety inspection ...all the above for a total of $1087.

I learned to do my own bodywork as a teen by watching a guy called Ed, just a real fine 75 year old-timer I know,
who has spent his entire working life, quietly earning a living doing bodywork for almost 50 years in his garage,
never advertising anywhere, no sign on his shop, and no phone. A true craftsman, Ed simply loves his work.
He finally retired a month ago but kindly offered to do one last job and restore the body on my truck for me.
For the sake of a good story, I think I might just have Ed weave his magic one last time.

This is not about money, but for $2287, I couldn't be happier, and am looking forward to soon getting it on the road.
My plan is to drive it every day for the next 20 years, except for winters, and eventually passing it along
to someone else, in better shape than I found it, along with the continuing story of my good ol' truck.
The best part is that is I've met a lot of real nice people along the way.

And while I'm here, I want to thank the administrators and generous contributing members for this amazing forum.

Mookie

Attached Images  
Old 12-07-2015, 01:14 PM
WhatsAChevy?
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First of all, Welcome !
Second,
Nice....a truck with history and a new owner with proper respect and intentions.
Damn good to hear a story like this ! IMO...that truck's name should be...."Mr. Mainprize".
It says it all.
What a tribute that would be. Thank You for sharing !

Old 12-07-2015, 01:31 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I am looking forward to following your story, Mookie's 85!

Old 12-07-2015, 03:48 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
That's a cool story

Old 12-07-2015, 05:29 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great story, and a nice ride!

Old 04-10-2016, 05:45 AM
Mookie's 85
Junior User
Originally Posted by Mookie's 85
...and am looking forward to soon getting it on the road.

...are we there yet?

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2016, 10:58 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,788 Posts
That will slow you down when you don't have a garage..........or my case garage with no heat.
Dave ----

Old 07-11-2016, 11:01 AM
Mookie's 85
Junior User
So I got the truck on the road in early spring and have been driving it daily ever since.
Took my time to restore the body and now have it near ready for paint, probably next spring.

Its a lazy, unhurried 40 minute drive to work, taking the back roads past cornfields,
dairy farms, and a couple of small communities, and not a week goes by
that I don't return a friendly nod from someone.

Now, I don't know about you guys, but driving my good ol' truck never gets old
'cause for me, everything changes like magic when I get behind the wheel.
Happens every time. ...I feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:01 PM
1986F150six
Lead Driver
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
So I got the truck on the road in early spring and have been driving it daily ever since.
Took my time to restore the body and now have it near ready for paint, probably next spring.

Its a lazy, unhurried 40 minute drive to work, taking the back roads past cornfields,

I like your attitude!

Old 07-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yessir, I agree totally!

I feel like a loser every time I get in my new truck, I feel like a winner every time I get in my old truck!

So I got rid of the new truck!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 10-03-2016, 10:21 AM
Mookie's 85
Junior User
Here's a vid clip of the finished bodywork, ready for paint. I worked every inch of the truck to ensure that it lasts,
but purposely left a small dent on the front fender as a reminder that this good ol' truck is my everyday driver.
At this time of year its a bit too cool here for painting, so I'll leave it until late next spring to finish it,
and since my wife loves it (but will only drive it if it looks "spooky") I decided on a dark satin grey.

As long as I have it, this will never be a shiny showroom truck, and for all its been thru over the years
its earned its rest time ...and will never see another winter again.

Old 10-03-2016, 12:31 PM
DDDDDMorgan
Mountain Pass
*Sniff* it brings a bit of a tear to my dry old eyes.

Love the story. Good on you for rescuing the old beauty.

I'm with you on the good feeling you get driving it. I experience the same thing with my 86. I wrench on it, which is becoming fun, I learn a lot and no matter how much I spend on parts I'm never going to get to new truck price.

Let's see some inside pics and maybe some from under the hood

Old 10-03-2016, 04:02 PM
guns
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is funny how a man can fall in love with his truck... I smile every time I get in mine....Even as I pump it 50 times to start it... I am glad you have found your soul mate...

Old 10-03-2016, 04:29 PM
DDDDDMorgan
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by guns
Is funny how a man can fall in love with his truck... I smile every time I get in mine....Even as I pump it 50 times to start it... I am glad you have found your soul mate...
O man O man!!

I can help you with this!

Old 10-03-2016, 05:05 PM
Pkupman82
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great story, love this stuff. Beautiful work bringing it back to life! I can completely identify with this madness. I have a small motor pool of elderly Ford iron as well, a 79 Bronco (wheeler) 84 F150 4x4 (my high school sweetheart), 84 F250 4x4 (farm/plow truck), 91 F150 4x4 ( adopted orphan) and a 97 F250 4x2 (the hauler). They all have their own personality that's for sure. Old Ford trucks are like a fine wine, they get sweeter with age. I live in Chebby country, so it's easy to get noticed among all the late model Silverados and Sierras. I try my best to keep my rigs looking as good as they can be, it's not unusual to get a wave, nod, or a compliment. Pretty cool...

Quick Reply: ...my good ol' truck