Modular V10 (6.8l)  

V-10 Misfire on #4 cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Joeyd99
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V-10 Misfire on #4 cylinder

I recently purchased a 2002 Ford F250 SD with the famous/infamous V10. The truck was owned by a woman who used it to pull her horse trailer on occasion, the truck is in great shape with a tad over 161K. The truck was running fine when I got it, the only problems were a shudder in OD and an exhaust leak. I was aware of these problems and the price was adjusted accordingly. I had all of the manifold bolts replaced at a local muffler shop, which took care of the exhaust leak. The next step was to have the plugs changed and the transmission serviced, I also had the air/fuel filters changed along with the EGR valve. I had a local shop do this for me, using Napa parts and Bosch Iridium plugs. I picked up the truck last Thursday and it was smooth as butter, ran better than when I took it up there and the transmission shifted like a new one with zero shudder in OD, but it didn't last long. I drove it a short way, turned it off for a few minutes then when I started it back up, I noticed a miss, not a bad one and barely noticeable. It doesn't miss at idle, only after I put it in drive. Took it back to the shop and put a code reader on it, came up with a misfire on #4 cylinder. The shop manager, whom I've know for years, said it was a COP. He had the delivery guy bring a new one from Napa, installed it, but it was still had the small miss. I wasn't in a hurry to get the truck back and he was pretty covered up, so they didn't get a chance to look at it until today. I just got off of the phone with him and he said something about the code not resetting and it might need to be driven for a while before it would reset. I really don't think that is the problem, I believe it is one of the aftermarket boots that were installed. Any ideas? Suggestions? I may be wrong, but I am inclined to believe that the miss is the result of something that was installed, in that there was no miss when I took it up there. The spark plugs that were removed were burnt pretty bad, I'm not sure if they had ever been replaced. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Joeyd99; 12-07-2015 at 11:44 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-07-2015, 11:44 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
Bosch Iridium plugs.
Replace them with Motorcrafts. The modular engines tend to be pretty picky about their plugs.

Still there? Swap #4 COP with another one that's easy to access.
Still there? swap #4 injector "" "".
Still there, investigate base engine (compression, etc).

he said something about the code not resetting and it might need to be driven for a while before it would reset
All he has to do is disconnect the negative battery cable while he's changing the plugs again. The computer will completely reset in about 5 minutes or so. There are more elegant ways of doing it, but that one is completely and 100% effective.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:56 AM
Joeyd99
New User
Thanks for the quick reply. Dang, could have sworn that I read somewhere that the Bosch plugs were a good alternate to the Motorcraft. But looking at the old plugs that came out of it, they were burnt pretty bad and the truck wasn't missing. I guess I should have left the plugs/boots alone, it wasn't missing. Live an learn I guess. Thanks for the info, I will pass it along to my mechanic.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:38 PM
David Bender
New User
check your cat converter, i just got mine out of the shop they said the partially plugged CAT was chewing up the plugs,,,, he said the same thing, use only motorcraft,,, i put others in and still getting a stumble on the passenger side as well.

Old 12-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Joeyd99
New User
It's definitely not the cat, I had that taken care of when I had the manifold bolts replaced. I passed along the info to my mechanic, he assured me that he would take care of it, whatever it turns out to be. Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully I will get the truck back tomorrow.

Old 12-09-2015, 03:15 PM
Joeyd99
New User
Well, that turned out to be a lot easier that I was expecting. A set of Motorcraft plugs and a new COP on #4 cylinder and the truck runs great. Actually, I am amazed at how good it runs. When I bought the truck it wasn't 100%, had an exhaust leak and the dreaded shudder in OD, now it is as smooth as butter and I am a happy camper! Thanks a lot for the great advice! My mechanic didn't say it but I know he was skeptical about changing the plugs, but it worked. Again, thanks for the info!!

Old 12-09-2015, 06:41 PM
jspringator
Senior User
A replaced COP always requires a new plug. Keep an eye on your grounds, particularly corrosion on the - battery clamp.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:50 PM
Joeyd99
New User
A replaced COP always requires a new plug

That is good to know, but I can't get my feeble mind wrapped around the why of it. So, are you saying that if I had just replaced that one plug on #4, then more than likely I would have achieved the same results?

Old 12-09-2015, 06:57 PM
jspringator
Senior User
That has been my experience. I didn't see the why in it either, so I tried not replacing the plug when I replaced the coil. It still had the miss, and the miss went away when I replaced the plug. I remember asking this question when I was in the throes of my COP problems. I never cured my chronic COP problems until I fixed my ground issue.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:02 PM
jspringator
Senior User
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Joeyd99
New User
Well, thanks for the heads up on the corrosion issues. They use a lot of salt on the roads in the winter around here, so I will need to keep an eye on the cables and such. I'm a little hesitant to brag on how well the truck runs now, afraid that I might jinx myself But, dang, it is running really good! Thanks for all of the replies!

Old 12-13-2015, 04:30 PM
dmags
Senior User
I just bought a 99 250 v10 116k
literally 1 mile out of the hole pooped a plug. private sale seller rigged it to sell it.prior to that it seemed smooth
fast forward $400 something later shop did the heli coil like repair 1 plug and coil. It still has a sort of stumble with little load at low rpm
I changed all 10 plugs myself and its still there (motorcraft plugs)
I would have had shop do it but they wanted $1000!!!!
I was looking at some aftermarket COP set ups for like $60 for all 10
Am I wasting my money on them? I figure A shop would get
me $100 just to look at it so it could be a good gamble if a coil is a coil
Have any of you ever used global automotive parts ? E BAY
any suggestions? is there a way i can figure out my issue?

Old 12-14-2015, 07:29 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,390 Likes on 1,099 Posts
^^^^ While I appreciate trying to save a buck or two keep away from eBay COP's unless they're Motorcraft. Sure they're more money but from personal experience there's nothing advantageous about cheap COP's. I use NAPA's better brand and pay only $50 each---considering I'm driving a van with a few OEM original COP's with over 275K miles I'd say the better brands make a lot of sense.

If your engine has a misfire due ignition issues the CEL should be lit up---if so get the codes read and share them with us.

As a side note its better to start your own thread rather than tacking another issue onto an existing one---too often it gets lost and the situation never really addressed.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:20 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
If your engine has a misfire due ignition issues the CEL should be lit up
It would need to be a SEVERE misfire before any CEL comes on, if at all, if it's an OBDI system.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:17 PM
dmags
Senior User
Thanks I will start a new thread next time
I have no CEL
I am going to throw 10 COP's at it
at 116k it wont hurt I just did the plugs so I'm sure they are original

Quick Reply: V-10 Misfire on #4 cylinder