6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Brand new 2015 with possible water damage. Need some input.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 11:22 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brand new 2015 with possible water damage. Need some input.

So I have a bit of an issue with my new 2015 F-250 I bought a couple weeks ago. It had 71 miles on it when I bought it. After getting it home it sat outside in front of my shop for 3 days while it rained. On day 4 I jump in to pull it in the shop and install the Air bags. I notice that the windshield is wet on the inside and there is water pooled inside up against the lower windshield seal. I lift up the floor mats and notice the carpet is wet. We did get get a couple inches of rain over that 3 days and it was taking on water the whole time. At first I assumed it was leaking on the roof since I had the dealer install cab lights after I bought it. So I took it in, dropped it off, and they gave me a sweet new F-150 Lariat with 200 miles on it to drive while they fixed it. Up to this point I'm completely happy with how things are going and I completely understand that mistakes happen.

Today I get a call from the Service adviser and he informs me that the leak is coming from the windshield. This is kind of worrisome since the truck is a 2015 and was built in May so it's been sitting on the Dealer lot for 6 months taking on water. I find it hard to believe that in 6 months they didn't notice water streaks on the inside of windshield like I did the first time. But you have to account for the possibility that their Porter is making $10 an hour and either doesn't care or don't know that it's worth reporting.

So boys and girls what do you think I should do? I'm not the self entitled type and I know that mistakes do happen. But I know one thing, If they disclosed the issue to me I would have never bought it knowing that this happened. Water damage and the increased humidity for 6 months could have some effect on the reliability of the onboard electrical systems in the cab and the miles of wire associated with them.

My main issue is that this truck spends 5 months a year on the road, states away from home. Even if Ford was financially responsible for any issues going forward that isn't good enough for me. If my truck goes down my work shuts down and I'm sitting at a hotel at my own expense until it's fixed and all the while getting behind in my work. I can't even rent a truck to work while it's being fixed since my spray equip is custom built and mounted to the truck inside a topper shell.

So this is a bit long winded but what would you do, or more importantly what would you expect Ford to do in this situation. Swap for a different truck? Take money off the price of the new truck? I'm confident they will take care of me. They haven't let me down yet after 3 Superdutys and 500,000 miles I haven't yet even considered another brand. Advise and input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Zack

Old 12-04-2015, 11:36 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm sorry.
As much of a pain in a$$ it would be, I'd ask for a replacement.
There's such a potential for problems, my confidence in a dependable
long term experience would be gone.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:41 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would go for a replacement truck. You have no idea where water has gotten and corrosion issues in the electronics could take months or years to show up and then it'll be on you not counting your possible down time.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:00 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Yea I'm thinking that is the best path as well. Unfortunately I just installed the Thunderstruck bumper,Linex, B&W gooseneck, airbags, mudflaps, seat covers, and floormats. Why couldn't this of happened on Day 1 lol? I'm waiting to hear back after the salesman speaks to GM. I'm sure they'll make good on it one way or another.

Originally Posted by T diesel
I'm sorry.
As much of a pain in a$$ it would be, I'd ask for a replacement.
There's such a potential for problems, my confidence in a dependable
long term experience would be gone.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:01 PM
93-331-29PSI
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the windshield leaked it's quite possible that the water run down the firewall and pooled on the floor as you stated. I'd be more inclined to keep just the truck providing they replaced the glass/carpet/jute backing. I wouldn't be too concerned about water damage to anything as it'd most likely have already happened. I know that I've been through 3 windshield (on 4th) in my 2015 because of cracks/improper installation/defective glass and have had water in the floor of mine several times. I've had zero issues and have put 24k miles on it since. I'd be more concerned from mold spores than I would be electrical gremlins later.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:02 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Originally Posted by 93-331-29PSI
If the windshield leaked it's quite possible that the water run down the firewall and pooled on the floor as you stated. I'd be more inclined to keep just the truck providing they replaced the glass/carpet/jute backing. I wouldn't be too concerned about water damage to anything as it'd most likely have already happened. I know that I've been through 3 windshield (on 4th) in my 2015 because of cracks/improper installation/defective glass and have had water in the floor of mine several times. I've had zero issues and have put 24k miles on it since. I'd be more concerned from mold spores than I would be electrical gremlins later.
This is how I feel. Really need to find out where water was before you can pass judgment.

Old 12-04-2015, 12:57 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
If you cannot get a replacement, ask for an 8 year, 150,000 mile, zero deduct bumper to bumper warranty. I can think of another case where a dealer/Ford provided this.

bruce...

Old 12-04-2015, 01:23 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Originally Posted by my_crib_too
If you cannot get a replacement, ask for an 8 year, 150,000 mile, zero deduct bumper to bumper warranty. I can think of another case where a dealer/Ford provided this.

bruce...
Hey how about that last second hail Mary last night. I'm not the biggest A Rodgers fan but that was amazing.

Old 12-04-2015, 01:26 PM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My best guess would be that if it had experienced major leakage over any period of time you would smell the mold or musty odor from doing so. However the matter has been documented now should issues arrive down the road.

Old 12-04-2015, 02:17 PM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by strokin83
Hey how about that last second hail Mary last night. I'm not the biggest A Rodgers fan but that was amazing.
That was crazy... The Pack got very lucky and what a toss.

Since 1992 when Brett Favre joined the Packers, the Packers have brought a lot of joy to me. My team doesn't always win but it's sure exciting to watch and we are lucky to have two HOF quarterbacks back to back.

bruce...

Old 12-04-2015, 02:20 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
soon to be 3...

Old 12-04-2015, 04:56 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
extended bumper to bumper warranty with zero deductible

Old 12-04-2015, 06:06 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Hopefully there will be some good news tomorrow. Thanks for the time boys. Meanwhile I'm gonna pull my trailer with their little F-150 since that's all I have laying around right now lol. We'll see what that little Ecoboost is made of.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:28 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
What trailer are you pulling with the F150... Just curious as to how it handles it compared to the F350...

Are you sure that the windshield was leaking all this time and didn't decide to start now? You would think there would be a lot of more damage if it was.

One of the reasons I really, really do not want to have to replace my windshield on my truck. I have a little bulls eye crack where a rock on the highway hit it... Going to get I fixed rather than replaced.

Good luck with whatever route you choose... I doubt that the dealer or Ford will go down easy in replacing the truck. You might get an extended warranty out of it or some free service coupons without a fight.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:08 PM
strokin83
Senior User
I'm just pulling my little 5k mower trailer with it. Honestly I would love to work out of the F150 it's just not capable of of the payload I haul. I would break it in half. But they were some sly devils sending that home with me. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy one for the wife after the first of the year. She loves the thing and it is pretty impressive.

As far as the windshield goes. I'm starting to think maybe they need to rethink the cab lights being the leakers. The more I think about it the more I think that truck would have a funk to it if is was soggy all summer. They installed the cab lights three days after I bought it. I'm hoping that's it and they make good on it since I already installed everything on that truck. I'll keep you all posted.

Originally Posted by Dakster
What trailer are you pulling with the F150... Just curious as to how it handles it compared to the F350...

Are you sure that the windshield was leaking all this time and didn't decide to start now? You would think there would be a lot of more damage if it was.

One of the reasons I really, really do not want to have to replace my windshield on my truck. I have a little bulls eye crack where a rock on the highway hit it... Going to get I fixed rather than replaced.

Good luck with whatever route you choose... I doubt that the dealer or Ford will go down easy in replacing the truck. You might get an extended warranty out of it or some free service coupons without a fight.

Quick Reply: Brand new 2015 with possible water damage. Need some input.