Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Used engine oil flush and now the engine died (Now fuel related)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Exclamation Used engine oil flush and now the engine died (Now fuel related)

I used an engine flush because my engine pressure was low, while the engine was hot as advised in the bottle, and after rolling for 10 minutes (a couple of minutes from my home) the engine died, no noises or signals, it just hesitated and died, then it would start, run poorly and die again. Changed the oil right there and there was no change. So, did my engine break? Or is there anything I can try?.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:15 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You ran it with no oil? Just the flush fluid in it? Eh... I dunno about that, I don't believe in using snake oil unless the motor is otherwise junk to begin with, but generally unless an engine is completely seized it will still run even if the bearings are wrecked.

If it runs poorly and dies again I suggest checking fuel pressure first. Then spark, then ignition timing (may have a bad PIP) in that order. It might well be that you just so happened to develop a problem unrelated to the flush right after you did it.

If that all ends up being okay then I would do a compression test, no telling what that flush stuff did to your cylinder walls and rings. But save that for last, I'm leaning towards the above scenario (coincidence) first.

How does it run poorly? Steady dead miss on one cylinder? General misfiring? No power? Smoking?

Old 11-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
It just ran briefly when turned on, a couple of seconds and then died. I did suspect of an electric related problem. No overheating, no sounds. I just poured the small bottle of flush in the oil, which was due for a change. But it was very weird to have the engine die like that...

Old 11-27-2015, 08:11 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
Bad karma. ..

Unfortunate coincidence I'm sure.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:13 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
I hope, I'll have a look at it tomorrow. Any ideas?. What else could be the cause?. I tried turning the engine later but it barely did.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:40 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine flushes sometimes loosen enough stufff to clog the pickup screen on the oil pump. It
doesnt sound like thats what happened though with no noises. You say it wont crank over at
all now? Charge the battery up and try it. Hopefully its an electrical problem and not a tight engine.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:31 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
sounds like you might have a low battery, causing either the ignition or fuel pump to cut out shutting the engine off.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Well, I decided to check fuel pressure on the rail, and there was absolutely none, so there was my problem. Checked the Maxi fuse for the fuel pump and gladly it was busted (better this than the engine for sure), replaced it to no avail, so I guess it's time to replace the fuel pump, which seems to have shorted. Meanwhile I'll also replace the fuel filter, to service the whole system.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:05 AM
Roger T. Pipe
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may not help you now, but maybe someone in the future. My 1st boss when I started working when I was 13-14 was an absolute savant with all things combustion engine. They truly don't make people like him anymore...anyway, he'd always shudder when someone would mention engine flushes with over the counter products, which are basically kerosene or diesel fuel. A finely-tuned engine DOES NOT like this! He'd always suggest that if you really had to flush the engine (which most engines rarely require) was to use a name brand ATF fluid. Remove about 1 qt. of existing oil and replace with the ATF. Run the vehicle for 500 miles or so, then change it out with fresh oil.
ATF is super highly detergent and will remove whatever you're trying to remove without introducing kerosene into your system (now I just shuddered, lol).
Kerosene is meant for cleaning parts on a bench, but certainly not made to run diluted in your engine. Hope this helps!
Roger

Old 11-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
This product wasn't kerosene or anything closely related, no smell to tell that it was. ATF has been used on a lot of different cleaning situations, but I wanted to try this product, see if there was any improvements with the oil pressure.

Old 11-28-2015, 01:19 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
engine oil is a lot different outside the United States Roger.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:08 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hey Encho, glad you found the problem. Where are you reading this pressure at? You do know the stock gauge is a fake, right? At least on US models it is.

Common for the dummy gauge to read low when there is actually no problem.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
I do know the gauge's reading is mostly a lie, but it shows almost no pressure, not only low, it crossed out of the min bar. I have a mech gauge, but have no idea were to plug it and were to install the gauge.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:14 PM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine oil 'flushes" are never a good idea, if you feel you need to use a flush product then you really just need to be changing your oil more often.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
I change my oil/filter every 3000 miles but this is an old truck which always pours very dirty oil, and this is the first time I do a flush, wanted to try it and check if it improved the state of the oil, it didn't hurt anything to try.

Quick Reply: Used engine oil flush and now the engine died (Now fuel related)