Fresh off the farm - 79 F150 Ranger - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck

Fresh off the farm - 79 F150 Ranger

Old 11-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Regular User

CelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to behold

As noted in a previous thread, Brutus (78 F150 SCab 4X4 LB) is sold. Well, almost - being delivered tomorrow.

Was looking for a 2WD regular cab and found this 1979 F150 Ranger. One owner, been on the same farm all it's life. Been sitting for outside for the last 5-7 years, but unbelievably has not rusted.

Here is what it looked like (ad pictures):

Old 11-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Regular User

CelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to beholdCelticOne is a splendid one to behold
Mileage is 119,000KM. About 74,000 miles.

Shop manuals were an extra $20!
Old 11-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Regular User

It got a quick pressure wash last night to take off the top layer of grime and moss(!):

Tried a little polish on this corner of the hood. Originally it looked identical to the paint beside it. The dull areas in the section I polished have some kind of touchup paint applied. Not sure what to do with these.

The worst area of course is the hood. But a lot of the blotchiness you see here is just more grime that needs to be cleaned off.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 AM
Elder User

Steven@nd has a very good reputation on FTE.Steven@nd has a very good reputation on FTE.Steven@nd has a very good reputation on FTE.Steven@nd has a very good reputation on FTE.
I would wax her up and call it good. That's pretty darn nice original paint and interior! The box looks near new inside... what an awesome find!

Which engine?
Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
Regular User

Thanks, Steven. I found out a fellow FTE-er was vying for the truck at the same time I was. I expect he will chime in here ...
Old 11-27-2015, 09:44 PM
Postmaster

paredneck33 is a splendid one to beholdparedneck33 is a splendid one to beholdparedneck33 is a splendid one to beholdparedneck33 is a splendid one to beholdparedneck33 is a splendid one to beholdparedneck33 is a splendid one to beholdparedneck33 is a splendid one to behold
Sweet score Celtic. That truck is awesome.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:50 PM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Are the black mirrors some sort of Canada-only thing? I like 'em. Btw, IIRC that thin Dentside trim is relatively hard to find.

Decent truck... cut, buff, and wax.... tune it up and drive.
Old 11-28-2015, 12:58 AM
Danger City Kitty

privateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud of
Some of those old farm trucks saw country roads only and little to no salt, they did a lot of idling though, to bad theres not a clock on it. Nice score. Cut, buff and wax, tune it up and drive or something like that. Lol
Old 11-28-2015, 07:39 AM
Elder User

Notmeofficer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post
Are the black mirrors some sort of Canada-only thing? I like 'em. Btw, IIRC that thin Dentside trim is relatively hard to find.

I have some.. want it?
Old 11-28-2015, 07:48 AM
Post Fiend

HIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud ofHIO Silver has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmeofficer View Post
I have some.. want it?

Trim? No... Mirrors yes but I'm curious as to their finish since they could be easily painted.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:44 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIO Silver View Post

Brutus had black mirrors as well but that truck was built in Kansas. I have two trucks built in Canada but only one has black mirrors. Of course any of them could have been changed over the years.

I just bought a set of chrome ones from a fellow Canadian for $5!
Old 11-30-2015, 07:57 AM
Regular User

So finally got to do a thorough inspection in the day light. Found three areas that will need attention:

Driver's side of the box, right at the bumper:

Passenger side of box behind wheel well:

That second one is really only noticeable from underneath. Standing by the truck it looks like this:

The third area is the front passenger side fender. It has been poorly repaired and painted. Grill shell also beaten up a bit. Not a great picture of the damage but you can see where it has been painted.
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 AM
Regular User

I'm thinking if I replace the front fender, I can make patch panels for the other two spots from the old one. Would this work?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:56 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

loudfords has a great reputation on FTE.loudfords has a great reputation on FTE.loudfords has a great reputation on FTE.loudfords has a great reputation on FTE.loudfords has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticOne View Post
Thanks, Steven. I found out a fellow FTE-er was vying for the truck at the same time I was. I expect he will chime in here ...
Yeah, I tried to buy the truck too but I was too late. Truck was ridiculously underpriced. What other options does the truck have besides the dual fuel tanks?
Old 11-30-2015, 08:17 PM
Danger City Kitty

privateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud ofprivateer, eh has much to be proud of
Should be no problem as the wheel well shape is the same front and rear and the bottom of the front fender should be close to the same if it isnt. I used a 89 cab for metal and did my 75s cab corners, floor, A and B posts, just took some bending and dolly work.