1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Exhaust thru the front Fender, Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 08:09 AM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
Not out of the front fenders.
How bout doing the same thing but out of the back fenders instead ?

Old 11-27-2015, 09:22 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,615 Likes on 1,456 Posts
In PA that would not pass state inspection. My local garage told me the tailpipe on my 70 F350 flatbed must have an elbow on it to put the exhaust out the side (and behind the cab) instead of straight back under the bed.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:06 AM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's one of those, "I like it but wouldn't do it myself kind of thing."

There's an '53 F100 here with the exhaust cut out lower than your mock-up location.

Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you guys make some good points the first being the fumes, second possible discoloration from the exhaust around the fenders, but as far as noise they would be baffled so thats not an issues and with the cam it should sound pretty cool. Here in AZ you can run whatever you want, plenty of rat rods running straight headers etc, no emissions, inspections etc. I do like CharlieLeds set up though. Going to have to think about this a bit more before I cut holes in the fenders, but I do like the look, possibly lower in the fender like the pic above.

Old 11-27-2015, 11:32 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
If you do it, be sure your door weatherstripping is sealing all around, seal the door widows closed, install CO detector in cab, be sure life insurance is paid up.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:57 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could also go from being the person with the cool old truck up the road to the person with a loud piece of s** up the road. I got a kid next door to me which has a loud truck you can hear it three blocks away. I guess I'm showing my age, seems like when I was younger loud noise didn't bother me but as I've gotten older it really gets on my nerves. Kinda like pulling up to a traffic light and someone pulls up with their bass turned so loud the windows vibrate.

Old 11-27-2015, 06:16 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Don't want to be a Kill Joy but
Here are a couple of status that you may want to know about;

28-955. Mufflers; noise and air pollution prevention; emissions control devices; civil penalty; exception
A. A motor vehicle shall be equipped at all times with a muffler that is in good working order and that is in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise.
B. A person shall not use a muffler cutout, bypass or similar device on a motor vehicle on a highway.
C. The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive fumes or smoke.
D. Beginning with motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines of the 1968 model year, motor vehicles and motor vehicle engines shall be equipped with emissions control devices that meet the standards established by the director of environmental quality.
E. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least one hundred dollars.
F. This section does not apply to an electrically powered motor vehicle.

and

28-955.04. Exhaust system; visual inspection; requirements; civil penalty
A. A commercial motor vehicle that operates in this state shall have an exhaust system that is detectable by a visual inspection and that meets all of the following:
1. Is free from a defect that adversely affects sound reduction.
2. Is equipped with either a muffler or other noise dissipative device.
3. Is not equipped with a cutout, bypass or similar device.
B. A person who violates this section is subject to a civil penalty of at least five hundred dollars. If the person shows the court that a muffler has been installed or the existing muffler has been serviced to comply with subsection A, the court may reduce or waive the civil penalty.

Old 11-27-2015, 08:01 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I believe we all should follow our dreams as too how we want our truck to look, so as far as aesthetics go, if you like it that's all that matters. But when it comes to safety. I will give you my concern. Carbon monoxide is odorless, deadly, can build up slowly and it causes death quickly. And from what I've been told (by my HS auto shop teacher)has no or very little warning signs except maybe skin discoloration (redness)about the time of death. So I agree with what Ax stated in Po#20. Please be careful with things that cant be seen, smelled, or heard. The odor that we associate with exhaust gas is a mix of gasses and the carbon monoxide part of it is odorless. Enjoy your build and enjoy the cruise.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 PM
drptop70ss
Cargo Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Just run electric cutouts and you can use them at the car shows. I was going to run cutouts but it turns out my truck is more than loud enough with the mufflers as is.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:06 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by abe
In PA that would not pass state inspection. My local garage told me the tailpipe on my 70 F350 flatbed must have an elbow on it to put the exhaust out the side (and behind the cab) instead of straight back under the bed.
I would like to hear the logic behind a REG that places the tailpipe outlet several feet closer to the cab windows, That sounds like a rule designed for an SUV with a rear window, and being generically applied to pickups.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:17 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts

I'll stick to exhaust out the back

Old 11-27-2015, 09:25 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by fatfenders
I would like to hear the logic behind a REG that places the tailpipe outlet several feet closer to the cab windows, That sounds like a rule designed for an SUV with a rear window, and being generically applied to pickups.
I think he means it cannot be in front of the back of cab, and must direct the exhaust to the side and down. Not saying it has to exit right behind the cab. Big van trucks almost always dump down just behind the cab.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:32 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I think you are right. I did miss the flatbed part.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:58 PM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
IMHO, I think it would get old fast. I have side exhausts at the back of the running boards and I'm starting to think I would like some tail pipes. I couldn't imagine pipes that close to the cab.

But, like others have said, its you truck do what makes YOU happy.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Don Vito
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
That setup looks very aggressive but there are some very serious issues with it...first, if you pull up next to another truck/car you will be blasting them with your exhaust. Second, do you REALLY want to have that much noise so close to your door window when you are cruising down the road?
Here is what I consider to be a better solution, it keeps the noise behind the cab and the exhaust lower to the road...
CharlieLed, what pipes did you use ? I think I'm going your way on this.

Quick Reply: Exhaust thru the front Fender, Opinions