1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1967 F100 Disc Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1967 F100 Disc Brake Conversion

I was at the JY the other day and without much research pulled the Disc Brakes off of a 1969 F100. The donor had a 5 lug pattern rim like mine. I doubt that the brakes from the donor were original to the truck. It appears that the disc brakes had undergone a recent brake job.

I don't know much about brakes. In any event, will I be able to install the brakes that I picked up with my current configuration? It should be noted that I also pulled the proportional valve. Should I pull anything else from the truck?

I believe that I have the original suspension that came with my my 67. What else would I need?

Some of the markings (rt brake) include 7-FB and 8355. On the left brake, 8-FB and 8345 appears stamped on same. Can anyone tell me if what Ford vehicle these were originally from?

I also need a dust shield for the left brake (pretty mangled). Anyone have a part number or a source for one that would match the one that I pulled?

Here are some photos of what I pulled:

Old 11-25-2015, 03:26 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Based on the steering stop on the spindle, it appears to me it is a 75-79 setup. I think you shoulda grabbed the I-beams..

Btw, the I-beams also have casting numbers (C8Tx D2Tx, etc.) which could also have provided info towards swapability and compatibility.

Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
If you pulled these discs from a '69 F100, you are correct that they didn't come on the truck originally. None of the Bumpside F100s came with factory front discs. Front discs weren't factory installed on the F100s until 1973.

Hard to tell what model Dentside the front discs came from. If they are from a '73/'74 F100, they will go onto your existing Bumpside I-beams/radius arms. If they are from a '75-'79 F100/F150, the kingpin lengths will be slightly longer and you will need to swap in the Dentside I-beams/radius arms. --I suspect the brakes are from a '75-'79, but can't absolutely say for sure.

The only way I can think of to determine what year range the brakes came from would be to press the kingpins out and measure their length. 6.35" length x .859" diameter for '73/'74 front discs (same kingpin measurements for '65-'72 F100s) and 6.49" x .859" diameter kingpins for '75-'79 F100/F150.

Installing Disc Brakes on Your 2WD Pickup - Pt. 1 - FORDification.com

Old 11-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
If you pulled these discs from a '69 F100, you are correct that they didn't come on the truck originally. None of the Bumpside F100s came with factory front discs. Front discs weren't factory installed on the F100s until 1973.

Hard to tell what model Dentside the front discs came from. If they are from a '73/'74 F100, they will go onto your existing Bumpside I-beams/radius arms. If they are from a '75-'79 F100/F150, the kingpin lengths will be slightly longer and you will need to swap in the Dentside I-beams/radius arms. --I suspect the brakes are from a '75-'79, but can't absolutely say for sure.

The only way I can think of to determine what year range the brakes came from would be to press the kingpins out and measure their length. 6.35" length x .859" diameter for '73/'74 front discs (same kingpin measurements for '65-'72 F100s) and 6.49" x .859" diameter kingpins for '75-'79 F100/F150.

Installing Disc Brakes on Your 2WD Pickup - Pt. 1 - FORDification.com
Will I be able to swap the kingpins from my 67 if the disc brakes that I pulled were originally from a 75-79 truck? The radius arm on the left side was damaged on the donor truck and I recently had my suspension rebuilt.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:14 PM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Sam, If you are thinking about a power steering disc brake upgrade, buy a donor truck and have all the parts needed for your upgrade.

John

Old 11-25-2015, 05:23 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
John, thanks for your thoughts and I have seen you make the recommendation on numerous occasions. With that said, I am already committed with the purchase of the disc brakes pictured in the first post. I got the proportioning valve as well. I came across the following write up and it appears to suggest that I can use my Kingpin (already rebuilt) if the setup is from a 75-79 truck. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Front Drum To Disc Brake Conversion Guide For 1965-1972 Ford Trucks - Ford-Trucks.com

Old 11-25-2015, 06:14 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Also, does anyone have a part number for a dust shield for a 75-79 truck?

Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
The best thing you could do, to eliminate mixing and matching parts that potentially won't work together, would be to go back and get the Dentside donor I-beams and radius arms from the donor truck. It will be a matched setup.

If one of the radius arms on the donor truck is damaged, pull a radius arm from a second donor truck. --the Dentside radius arms are interchangeable from one side to the other. Only the lower shock mount that's bolted to the radius arm is side specific.

Tie rod holes in the Dentside spindles will be larger than the Bumpside tie rods.

You will also need the hard line to flexible caliper hose frame brackets from each side of the donor truck.

There were primarily two disc/drum brake valve types used on the Dentside 2WD trucks. One was cast iron (made by Kelsey-Hayes), the other was brass (made by Weatherhead). The cast iron version was for trucks 6,800 lbs. and under. The brass valve was designed for trucks over 6,800 lbs. To bleed the front brakes with the cast iron valve, the stem on the front is pulled out. The stem on the brass valve is pushed in.

I spent a good deal of money on the drum brake front end of my truck, right after I got it. When I switched to discs, the drum brake front suspension got pitched to the side without a whole lot of use on those new parts. Oh well. It was worth the sacrifice to make the change over to discs with all matching components.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
Take a look at the site below for the dust shield. The 79 dust shield looks like the one that is on the brakes that I pulled:

Comparing I-beams and Spindles - FORDification.com

1979 dust shield part number would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sam's1967
Take a look at the site below for the dust shield. The 79 dust shield looks like the one that is on the brakes that I pulled:

Comparing I-beams and Spindles - FORDification.com

1979 dust shield part number would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
The shields you have look just like the ones I have on my truck from a '77 F100. I do not know the number for them.

My donor front discs had a damaged left shield (crumpled and rusted completely through across the bottom). I went back to the wrecking yard and pulled a left shield from another donor. When I went to pay the wrecking yard owner fo the replacement, he told me "it was on the house."

Unless there's an NOS dust shield out there, you'll probably have to pull a good used one from a wrecking yard donor.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Bent shields are good "victims" to practice your hammer and dolly techniques. Consider the effort as an opportunity to learn something new.

A little bit of reading, a little bit of time, and ya might keep extra dollars in your pocket....

Old 11-26-2015, 04:45 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Sam, I do it for a reason, to which you added to with your response then added a second post asking about part number for this piece. I am not dissing you bro, I have done this swap multiple times myself. When you start with a complete donor truck you have every little piece for your brakes, steering, steering column, ALL.

There are many experienced players here that can buy kits, mix & match parts, but there also are many members that need to buy the complete truck.

John

Old 11-26-2015, 08:04 AM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by jowilker
Sam, I do it for a reason, to which you added to with your response then added a second post asking about part number for this piece. I am not dissing you bro, I have done this swap multiple times myself. When you start with a complete donor truck you have every little piece for your brakes, steering, steering column, ALL.

There are many experienced players here that can buy kits, mix & match parts, but there also are many members that need to buy the complete truck.

John
A parts truck donor is a good approach if it has EVERYTHING you need/want to put on your truck.

In my case, I installed various parts that ranged from the Bumpside trucks to the Bullnose trucks. In other words, I would not have been able to source all the parts from a single donor and, I wouldn't want the carcasses of multiple (or even one) parts vehicle lying around, that I would have to haul off afterwards.

I spent a considerable amount of time reading/researching what I would need and what it would have to come from BEFORE I started locating/removing/buying donor parts.

Rushing to buy parts without first putting the research time into all the little details and the gotchas, that come with it, ends up costing you a lot of wasted time and money in the end.

A person needs a clear understanding of what they need (or don't need) before tearing parts off of another truck. There are plenty of people here who have done this swap --I'm one of them.

There's tons of information on this swap on the internet and plenty of people here with (actual) first hand experience to help with this swap. Listening to the advice of what they have to say can help eliminate costly mistakes of wrong parts and wasted dollars and time.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Sam's1967
Elder User
I appreciate the advice. I am on a limited budget and got a good deal on the brakes that I pulled. The donor truck option is simply not an option unless I want to lose 1/2 of my net worth and pay alimony for the rest of my life. I have time on my hands and would like to see if the brakes that I picked up will work. Unless, you are telling me that it won't work.

In other words, can you say with any certainty, that the brake set up that I located (assuming it is from a 75 to 79 truck and my suspension is original 67), will not work if I use my own kingpin or the donor's kingpin to accomplish the swap.

Thanks and I truly appreciate all that you guys do to take care of me.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:48 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
By looking at them, do you know what Bumpside radius arms look like, compared to what Dentside radius arms look like?

If you do, go back and look at the radius arms on the donor truck to see what they are (unless you can currently visualize what they were). If the Bumpside radius arms are still on the '69 donor truck, this will tell you one of two things:

Either the front discs you have are for a '73/'74 model Dentside or, possibly the person that put the discs on the truck installed a mix-match of wrong parts.

If the '69 donor truck has the Dentside radius arms on it, it most likely has the Dentside I-beams too. If they are the later '75-'79 I-beams, the beams will be cast with the number D5TA. If it has the Dentside I-beams AND the Dentside radius arms installed on it, chances are very great that the parts all correspond and are a matching set.

If the '69 donor truck does have the complete '75-'79 Dentside front suspension on it, your '67 beams will not be configured for the later revision of the Dentside spindles/longer kingpins.

If your truck is currently operable, you can continue using it with its existing drums until you gather all the other components to make it a complete setup. I had my front suspension for over a year while I was gathering parts to go through it and rebuild it, effectively spreading my cost out over time, instead of trying to spend a bunch of money all at once.

--if you ever consider adding a Dentside front sway bar to your truck, the Bumpside radius arms are not configured for the '75-'79 Dentside front sway bar endlink C-brackets so, that's something else to take into consideration.

Quick Reply: 1967 F100 Disc Brake Conversion