Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
So far so good
Anyone else with reviews on other wheels

Old 12-17-2015, 08:54 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've run the WW/van turbo combination on my F-250 for the last 10 years, wondering if a wheel change might be in my future.

but I don't want to screw with anything that is working well. Towing our 10,000lb 5th wheel with this setup (Van turbo with '99 wicked wheel, TW tunes, Swamps 175's, DI intercooler) EGT's are great - no having to back off the throttle because EGT's climb high. Unloaded she's run 108 mph at 22-24 lbs of boost.

Has anyone have any input on boost increase or spool up time when switching over to the new generation wicked wheels?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Sous
Your work has paid off! It looks great...

What are your thoughts on the improvement of how the truck runs and responds to throttle input?

I am doing all of the same things right now, just at a much slower pace because of other "Honey Do" list items.
Sous, have you installed the Riff Raff 4/4 wheel?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:57 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
My new favorite quote
John, what wheel did you install during your turbo rebuild?

Old 12-17-2015, 08:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I should have an opinion on the RR 4/4 wheel vs. the stock wheel here in another week or two. I removed the air box and cut a hole in it for the foam sleeve and took a tooth brush and Simple Green to the parts I could get to. I plan to clean everything that I can reach while removing all of the parts to rebuild/replace.

My thoughts may be a bit skewed though because I will be doing up-pipes, exhaust and a turbo rebuild at the same time.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:05 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
You'll like the benefit from the foam sleeve, it has worked well for me for a good 10 years. Let us know when you get her going.....

Old 12-17-2015, 09:07 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
I should have an opinion on the RR 4/4 wheel vs. the stock wheel here in another week or two. I removed the air box and cut a hole in it for the foam sleeve and took a tooth brush and Simple Green to the parts I could get to. I plan to clean everything that I can reach while removing all of the parts to rebuild/replace.

My thoughts may be a bit skewed though because I will be doing up-pipes, exhaust and a turbo rebuild at the same time.
Don't forget to hook up a scanner or Auto Enginuity when you run her hard so you can see your max speed. Once you pass 100 mph the gauges do the windshield wiper dance and go back to zero........

Old 12-17-2015, 09:14 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
John, what wheel did you install during your turbo rebuild?
I tried to go with the RR 4/4, but due to installation problems ended up with a "95 wheel" (wicked wheel 1)

It made a big difference in spooling time and no turbo stall over stock, but I know it flows less than stock and definitely less than these newer wheels like the 4/4, WW-2, and apparently the SPX

I'm watching this one closely. I am really considering a new style wheel, but would like to know the real world difference from what I have and the new one.

Mine: Right now I have 3.73 and 35" tires. On my trip home (no trailer, 3 people, 2 doors for the house, about 750lbs of cargo, and about 20 gals fuel in the tank), I could easily jump from 65mph to 90mph in a few seconds, using about a 65hp setting on the Gearhead tunes in my Hydra.

Not too shabby, but I think I can do better for not much invested into a new wheel. Just need to decide.

FYI. I am still sucking my filter reminder (OEM, thanks to a kind friend ) closed. I have the vacuum filter sleeve to try from the AIS to the fender, just haven't had time to take care of it.

Old 12-17-2015, 09:26 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by ExPACamper
..........................Mine: Right now I have 3.73 and 35" tires. On my trip home (no trailer, 3 people, 2 doors for the house, about 750lbs of cargo, and about 20 gals fuel in the tank), I could easily jump from 65mph to 90mph in a few seconds, using about a 65hp setting on the Gearhead tunes in my Hydra.......................
Sounds like she's doing just fine to me!

Old 12-17-2015, 09:44 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Sounds like she's doing just fine to me!
LOL! Yeah, but after all the work and $$, to skip the small dollars/simple efforts and leave a decent slice of performance on the table seems...not quite 'right'

And the bit of black smoke more often than I like...needs more air

Old 12-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Oldguyfl
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Your work has paid off! It looks great...

What are your thoughts on the improvement of how the truck runs and responds to throttle input?

I am doing all of the same things right now, just at a much slower pace because of other "Honey Do" list items.
I have had a few days now to drive the truck and I can say the truck runs great. Throttle response seems better and no longer have the hard "whoosh" when shifting gears.

Additionally it seems to spool up quicker and the whistle sounds great.

Fuel mileage for some reason has increased slightly as well.

Well worth the time to do it IMHO

Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I feel your MPG has gone up because the truck is running more efficiently and getting the same amount of work done with less effort. This is what I am looking for with all of the updates/upgrades I am doing now.

Of course, the MPG goes right out the window when your foot gets heavier because you want to hear the new wheel scream.

Old 12-18-2015, 02:44 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Of course, the MPG goes right out the window when your foot gets heavier because you want to hear the new wheel scream.
...or you want to shoot out of the box from the ricer riding in your blind spot for 10 mins after you pulled right to let him pass

These behemoths can be nimble and snappy once finessed with a few minor mods

I'm not a light to light racer or any kind of junk like that. I like to cruise at a comfortable speed, yet be able to maneuver away from tight traffic. The closer you are, the greater the risk.

Having the ability to increase speed rapidly without hesitation is a great help to maneuvering into more relaxed and safer position in traffic. It's more useful than 0-60 acceleration, IMHO.

You should try it out once on a highway at cruising speed. Just give her some pedal and see how much more responsive she is!

That should tell the tale of your improvements Then come back and tell us your impressions!

Quick Reply: SPX, Riffraff, Barder and others turbo wheel review thread