Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 F350 CCLB Dually (2wd) conversion to 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F350 CCLB Dually (2wd) conversion to 4x4

I am looking at purchasing a 1997 f350 CC/LB Dually. They have less miles on them and are cheaper. Love the look and is much better for what I need then a SRW.
I currently have a 1997 F350 CC/LB ZF5 4x4 (did the conversion about year and half ago) that is totaled now. Has 285/75r16 tires on it. Within 8 hours of finishing a repair (transmission swap, new drivelines, rebuilt axles, new bushings and ball joints) it becomes totaled. Was stopped at a stop light and the guy behind me didn't stop going 50+. So this will be my donor truck.
I have questions:
1) How long will it take to do the conversion (don't need to wire up the 4x4 light or anything right away) (I do have all the shop tools with compressor, transmission jack, and such)
2)what parts would i need?
I know I need
1)1988-1997 f250/f350 4x4 dually hub for the front end
2) New leaf spring
my old ones are looking like W instead of flat or slight 2
3) What will the hight difference between the 2?
4) Would a 2" leaf spring front end look with 235/85r16 ties? (I believe these are the biggest tires I can run on the dually with stock rims)

I hate to take the 7.3L apart but taking best of both worlds will be worth it.

Go

Donor truck shown as follows

New truck as follows:

Old 11-23-2015, 02:54 PM
pitpawten
Junior User
Don't have answers on your questions, but wanted to say that the wreck sucks.

Guess you didn't get much for it since insurance is not likely to realize the held value of these trucks.

Did it wreck the rear frame/driveline or was it just the bed/bumber etc?

Old 11-23-2015, 02:55 PM
pitpawten
Junior User
also on the dually tires, you sure you cant run 255x85 R16's on stock rims?

Old 11-23-2015, 03:54 PM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
Yea the insurance company sucks. The bumper fell off, the frame tweaked, 4 of 6 bolts holding the be broke off, death wobble at 25mph.... theres more to it to but don't really like talking about it.

Im not sure about the tires... thats why I am here. Ive been reading a lot of forums and theres a big old debate. I want to get the BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A® KO2 tires because I will be doing lots of driving in the snow with tools and equipment in the bead (so no need to add weight to the bed of the dually when driving in snow)

Old 11-25-2015, 09:07 AM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
I just purchased the truck and it rides on a cloud. It has the roll along package and super easy truck to drive. Wish it was 4x4.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:14 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2wd rims have less offset than 4wd rims so 215s are all you should run on 2wd rims

2wd rim 5.00 offset
4wd rim 5.35 offset
van rim 5.15 offset

Old 11-26-2015, 07:34 AM
lisagoud
Posting Guru
4wd conversion

I've done alot of these...I would recommend using a 1987-1991 kingpoin front dana 60 (much tougher than the later balljoints)

Old 11-29-2015, 10:00 PM
bbf385
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by lisagoud
I've done alot of these...I would recommend using a 1987-1991 kingpoin front dana 60 (much tougher than the later balljoints)

Calling BS on that. I have an '88 KP60 I would trade for the 95-97 BJ version in a minute.
The later axle has better brakes and if you have to replace a king pin you're going to have a bad day. It's not as likely, but at 25 years old for the newest KP it's possible, esp in the rust belt.

For the front use super duty leaf springs and mount the shackle at the rear of the front springs (like a super duty)

Super duty springs (99-04 front)
front hanger you will have to make

From your '97
stock hangers off the rear of the front springs
shackle from the rear springs
shock towers
pitman arm
rear block

Old 11-29-2015, 10:09 PM
bbf385
More Turbo
I just did this to a 2wd F250. Though I used rear leafs from an F150 in the front. Drives really smooth.
I don't have a pic of it finished, but here is one with the rear sitting on a floor jack. Has somewhere around 7" of lift. Stock 235/85R16 tires in this pic.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:39 AM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
Originally Posted by bbf385
Calling BS on that. I have an '88 KP60 I would trade for the 95-97 BJ version in a minute.
The later axle has better brakes and if you have to replace a king pin you're going to have a bad day. It's not as likely, but at 25 years old for the newest KP it's possible, esp in the rust belt.

For the front use super duty leaf springs and mount the shackle at the rear of the front springs (like a super duty)

Super duty springs (99-04 front)
front hanger you will have to make

From your '97
stock hangers off the rear of the front springs
shackle from the rear springs
shock towers
pitman arm
rear block
So super duty leaf springs are better and smoother?
Your talking about making it have a reverse shackle kit on the front axle to make it smoother ride?
Why do I need rear axle shackle? Shouldn't it all ride the same hight?
Could I buy lifted leaf springs (like from struck spring) instead of having blocks?
I have heard stories from people having blocks and then under heavy load the blocks snap. Is that true?
Dont I need to box in the front end (like the front 6" of the frame so it can handle the weight and be strong for the 4x4)?

How long (when I have all the parts in) will it take to do the conversion? I don't know how to weld but I can order a prefab reverse shackle kit for like $350 from PMFsuspension.

What companies should I look for or avoid for suspension parts? (Idk if it allowed to be talked on here but it would be helpful to have a few brands out there to look into).

Old 12-01-2015, 02:09 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
The 99-04 SD springs are about 3-3/8" longer and with the rear shackle placement it improved the ride Noticeably.

You can just buy a production RSK(reverse shackle kit), you would just want to box the frame where it mounts.

I recommend Precision Metal Fab

Blocks are fine, just you dont want to go stacking them

Old 12-01-2015, 10:41 PM
bbf385
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
Blocks are fine, just you dont want to go stacking them
I meant get them because the 2wd likely won't have any block (mine didn't) and a facorty block makes it easier to level the truck. I used an F150 block (2") with 6" lift springs to level my truck.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 PM
bbf385
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Brian Donoghue
So super duty leaf springs are better and smoother?
Your talking about making it have a reverse shackle kit on the front axle to make it smoother ride?
Why do I need rear axle shackle? Shouldn't it all ride the same hight?
Could I buy lifted leaf springs (like from struck spring) instead of having blocks?
I have heard stories from people having blocks and then under heavy load the blocks snap. Is that true?
Dont I need to box in the front end (like the front 6" of the frame so it can handle the weight and be strong for the 4x4)?

How long (when I have all the parts in) will it take to do the conversion? I don't know how to weld but I can order a prefab reverse shackle kit for like $350 from PMFsuspension.

What companies should I look for or avoid for suspension parts? (Idk if it allowed to be talked on here but it would be helpful to have a few brands out there to look into).

I just gave a partial parts list if you wanted to make a DIY kit. If you want to order one then it will be a bit easier.
It isn't bad. How long depends on how badly you want it to happen.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Brian Donoghue
Senior User
Originally Posted by bbf385
I just gave a partial parts list if you wanted to make a DIY kit. If you want to order one then it will be a bit easier.
It isn't bad. How long depends on how badly you want it to happen.
Ok sounds good. Im wondering if a K30 dually 4x4 hub will work on my truck. Or would it be better if I buy all new parts or go to allfordparts and see what they have? Sometimes feels better then research.

Trying to save money to make a ß@∂ @$$ 41997 F350 CC/LB Dually 5-speed manual 4x4 truck.

I am going to order the parts this week so i can get it done before Christmas this year. I have all the tools to make it go by faster. (transmission jack, pneumatic's, father + 2 brothers + gf + me, beer , radio with games on, grinder,... basically that makes any good shop run better)

I am thinking of doing the exhaust coming outside the bed (I saw this picture. Im not trying to steal it or anything just thought it was really cool and want it on my truck)

Old 12-09-2015, 08:00 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Brian Donoghue
Ok sounds good. Im wondering if a K30 dually 4x4 hub will work on my truck. Or would it be better if I buy all new parts or go to allfordparts and see what they have? Sometimes feels better then research.

Trying to save money to make a ß@∂ @$$ 41997 F350 CC/LB Dually 5-speed manual 4x4 truck.

I am going to order the parts this week so i can get it done before Christmas this year. I have all the tools to make it go by faster. (transmission jack, pneumatic's, father + 2 brothers + gf + me, beer , radio with games on, grinder,... basically that makes any good shop run better)

I am thinking of doing the exhaust coming outside the bed (I saw this picture. Im not trying to steal it or anything just thought it was really cool and want it on my truck)
GM hubs will NOT work.

PLEASe do not ruin a truck with stacks, ESPECIALLY something like those

Quick Reply: 1997 F350 CCLB Dually (2wd) conversion to 4x4