Grandpa's 55' F350 restore - Page 36 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Grandpa's 55' F350 restore

Old 09-11-2018, 09:46 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
What brand gasket is that?

Old 09-11-2018, 09:59 PM
df85732
Elder User
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
They are from Egge Pistons. Located in California.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:56 AM
raytasch
Old guy with old toys
raytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputationraytasch has a superb reputation
My bad on three bolt lengths. Thinking of later Y blocks.
Place the head on a level surface with the combustion chambers facing up, Make certain the mating surface of the head is level. Fill each combustion chamber with gas and allow the gas to sit. If the gas remains, your valves are sealing well. If the gas leaks out, the valves are not sealing well.
Very old school test.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:34 PM
df85732
Elder User
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
Well I owe my followers a long over due update! A couple of things have occurred in life which lead to an abrupt end to me working on my truck. First, as I was putting the head back on my trucks engine I stripped the threads out of one of the holes in the block. Of course it was the one closest to the fire wall. I was down to the final torque and ..%$&#$%......there it went. One of the sickest feelings I have ever had. At about this same time my wife and I decided it is time to purchased a new home. Various reasons for this included my retirement in April, downsizing, the booming Real estate market, and finding a place that we fell in love with. At that point my life got crazy. Oh did I mention that my son got married in October. Back to the Truck. Being overwhelmed I decided to take the truck to a mechanic to have repaired. This worked out well as I did not have the time to work on it anyway. The move went well but very stressful. It is crazy what a person can "horde" in a 4800 square foot house, a 40 X 60 shop outbuilding, and 6 acres of land Our new place was about 50 miles away. I made at least 20 trips with PU/18' enclosed trailer during a one month period and one load with a 26' box truck with all the big stuff. We took possession November 1. The place is an old farmstead with multiple outbuilding. The bad thing is, none of them are up to my standards for a shop. I will be having a new one built this winter/early spring. Wife is not to happy but all the other buildings are for her horses so it's only fair, right??????? I did get my truck back yesterday but do not have a heated shop yet so I am putting up a portable garage inside of the pole shed to work in. Something I can heat with my portable heater. It has been a longer that planned process and I look forward to finally moving forward again. Also, for the record, all my bed panels( including some new parts) are currently at my body/paint guys place, getting the workover. Trust me I WILL GET THERE!

The New place!

Leaving the Old place for the last time!

New Temporary home!

Old 12-15-2018, 02:45 PM
56panelford
Posting Legend
56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation56panelford has a superb reputation
You should lay a sheet of 6 mil poly on the floor to keep the moisture at bay especially under the tent..

Old 12-15-2018, 02:49 PM
df85732
Elder User
Thanks for the advice John!

Old 12-15-2018, 05:16 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by df85732 View Post
Well I owe my followers a long over due update! A couple of things have occurred in life which lead to an abrupt end to me working on my truck. First, as I was putting the head back on my trucks engine I stripped the threads out of one of the holes in the block. Of course it was the one closest to the fire wall. I was down to the final torque and ..%$&#$%......there it went. One of the sickest feelings I have ever had. At about this same time my wife and I decided it is time to purchased a new home. Various reasons for this included my retirement in April, downsizing, the booming Real estate market, and finding a place that we fell in love with. At that point my life got crazy. Oh did I mention that my son got married in October. Back to the Truck. Being overwhelmed I decided to take the truck to a mechanic to have repaired. This worked out well as I did not have the time to work on it anyway. The move went well but very stressful. It is crazy what a person can "horde" in a 4800 square foot house, a 40 X 60 shop outbuilding, and 6 acres of land Our new place was about 50 miles away. I made at least 20 trips with PU/18' enclosed trailer during a one month period and one load with a 26' box truck with all the big stuff. We took possession November 1. The place is an old farmstead with multiple outbuilding. The bad thing is, none of them are up to my standards for a shop. I will be having a new one built this winter/early spring. Wife is not to happy but all the other buildings are for her horses so it's only fair, right??????? I did get my truck back yesterday but do not have a heated shop yet so I am putting up a portable garage inside of the pole shed to work in. Something I can heat with my portable heater. It has been a longer that planned process and I look forward to finally moving forward again. Also, for the record, all my bed panels( including some new parts) are currently at my body/paint guys place, getting the workover. Trust me I WILL GET THERE!

The New place!!
You call this downsizing??!! That's a large house and that's a lot of grass to cut! LOL

I am envious! It is beautiful! I love it! Congrats! How many acres?

Your last name doesn't start with an 'S' does it? You'll have to fix that on the barn. LOL

Old 12-15-2018, 07:05 PM
df85732
Elder User
Originally Posted by abe View Post
You call this downsizing??!! That's a large house and that's a lot of grass to cut! LOL

I am envious! It is beautiful! I love it! Congrats! How many acres?

Your last name doesn't start with an 'S' does it? You'll have to fix that on the barn. LOL
Thanks Abe. You are very observant. The "S" was previous owners and is now gone. We plan to to add our own little touch. This will make you even more envious. This is a picture of the finished off barn. "Party Barn" Here again, this is the previous owners decor but we hope to deck it out! TRUCK stuff ??????????

U

Old 12-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Effies 56
Senior User
Effies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to allEffies 56 is a name known to all
Dave,
Just a gorgeous looking new place! The truck looks like it will be fine in there! Party room is very nice.
Regards,
Chris

Old 12-15-2018, 07:40 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by df85732 View Post
Thanks Abe. You are very observant. The "S" was previous owners and is now gone. We plan to to add our own little touch. This will make you even more envious. This is a picture of the finished off barn. "Party Barn" Here again, this is the previous owners decor but we hope to deck it out! TRUCK stuff ??????????

U
Yes, your truck should fit in that room nicely and it looks like it's heated.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:51 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Gorgeous place and your truck is looking good.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:27 AM
bigwin56f100
Post Fiend
bigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant futurebigwin56f100 has a brilliant future
That's a wonderful homestead!

Old 02-26-2019, 03:09 PM
df85732
Elder User
Thanks for rattling my chain Abe It has been a long winter with no end in site. Well there is, I'm just getting tired of this cold and snowy weather. No progress with my truck but have made some headway with my new shop. Some how they were able to get my shed up between storms. Now I just need concrete and electricity. Hopefully within the next month. In the mean time my truck is setting in a different building. I have it set up to work in, just haven't had the time or it has been to cold.I know excuses.....excuses.....right. I am able to heat the portable garage with my salamander heater. With temperatures forecast in the teens this next week I will probably hang out in the house some more

Old 02-27-2019, 05:37 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
That's going to be a great shop for your truck. Just keep plugging away.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:31 AM
abe
Post Fiend
Dave, thanks for the update. That garage will be a nice addition to your property.

Your truck is patiently waiting for the warm weather.

Stay warm out there in the cold flatland

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grandpa's 55' F350 restore

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.