Grandpa's 55' F350 restore - Page 32 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Grandpa's 55' F350 restore

Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Dave, your mat looks great. Everything is spot on!

I used that same type of insulation on my 54. It was put in around 1999 and served me well. Untill I replaced my heater hoses a year ago and then I had antifreeze leaking onto my mat. I thought "oh no, my heater core is shot". But it turned out I didn't have the hose clamp tight enough. Anyhow it soaked my insulation and I had to throw half of it out. Also, anyhow, I had the aluminum side up. But I think I heard the aluminum side should go towards the heat source..... Google it.

Here's a tip. Cut the insulation at the left side of the battery cover so if you need access you can just flip it up.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:25 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Does the grommet have a hole the whole way through?

Did you polish your keys? They look good. Is that the original light switch? Does the rheostat still work?

Old 06-13-2018, 10:32 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by abe View Post
Does the grommet have a hole the whole way through? Did you polish your keys? They look good. Is that the original light switch? Does the rheostat still work?
Yes, the hole goes all the way through the grommet. I have been very diligent about marking stuff, but for some reason this was not identified. The keys are original and yes I did polish them. The light switch is the original and as far as I know, it was working way back when. The truck hasn't been driven at night since before 1984.(since I have had it). I do not plan to glue down the heat shield. My plan is to trim the edges of the heat shield at the door and actually use Velcro on the rubber floor mat to keep it from moving at the doors. Just tossing that idea around. More research ahead.

Old 06-21-2018, 08:23 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.df85732 has a great reputation on FTE.
Cleaned more parts today and worked on hooking up some of the electrical, including the new battery cables. I followed the schematic that came with the wiring harness and the many pictures I had taken prior to tearing it apart. I was excited to try it for the first time with the push button. At first go I had nothing so I took the ground cables off and ground the frame down to bare metal. Tried it again. It turned over but still not enough to spin it to start. So I hooked up the battery charger and it fired right up. Battery gauge and temperature gauge appeared to be working. Oil pressure gauge not so lucky. Fuel gauge is not hooked up yet. After letting it run for a while I shut it down and tried starting it again. NO GO Any ideas out there beside for grounding issues? Might have to test the battery. It is three years old and basically has set around since I started my build. Hopefully something simple.

Old 06-23-2018, 07:26 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
I took my battery in today to see if it is still good. It is but on the weak side. So I took it home and put it on the charger. I also cleaned up the terminals since they were pretty dirty and scared from jump starting it. Put it back in and it fired right up.

Some of you might remember my issue with getting oil in the engine and water in the cylinders. Since that happened I have wanted to flush the cooling system and clean it up. Since all is running well I purchased some radiator/coolant flush and run it through the engine. I then ran fresh water for a good 20 minutes. I was really happy with the results. A brown, slimy, liquid ran out followed by very clean water. Yes it was a pain but needed to be done. While I was at it and hopefully the last time in a while that I will have to drain the coolant I replaced the upper hose with the one I got from Abe. Recognize it Abe? Getting real close to putting some sheet metal back on!

Old 06-23-2018, 08:04 PM
abe
Post Fiend
That upper radiator elbow looks great on your yellow yblock! Thanks for the free blurb. I have one left.....

I bet your getting excited! Coming down the home stretch.

Old 06-23-2018, 09:01 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
Originally Posted by abe View Post
That upper radiator elbow looks great on your yellow yblock! Thanks for the free blurb. I have one left.....

I bet your getting excited! Coming down the home stretch.
If home stretch means a year Just being realistic. The 9' Express box will be a challenge. It is still setting in my shop in pieces

Old 06-23-2018, 09:08 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by df85732 View Post
If home stretch means a year Just being realistic. The 9' Express box will be a challenge. It is still setting in my shop in pieces
I thought that would be at the body shop.

Old 07-03-2018, 11:12 AM
df85732
Secret Agent
Been messing with small things over the last week. Posted on different threads. Nothing major just those little things. I've been wanting to see how the non stock seat would look since I got it back, next to the paint job. Never did a side by side until today. I think it turned out pretty nice. Like I said before, this is as close as I get to eating those cookies OK since the seat is in it I thought I might as well try it out for size and take it for a spin. It was a noisy ride with not glass and doors as you can see. Doesn't really matter what I said, I think you can figure it out from the smile! With no major leaks and engine faults I plan to move forward with the front end sheet metal next.
Oil Sending Unit
Manual Hand Throttle
Door Hinge bolts

Old 07-03-2018, 09:21 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Dave, I must reluctantly say, your non-stock seat fabric looks...... wait for it...... AWESOME!

The blue vinyl matches your paint pretty closely.

You must be pretty psyched!

Old 07-04-2018, 08:31 AM
Harrier
Post Fiend
Harrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant futureHarrier has a brilliant future
Very nice. The seat does look awesome. Color is fantastic.
I did laugh out loud watching the video. There is something special about a ride like that. Did you meet any traffic on the highway? Do you know how fast you were going. It seems really fast with no doors and no windshield.

Old 07-05-2018, 05:39 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
Had a couple of projects that I needed help with today. Rear glass, windshield and doors. So I enlisted my youngest Son. I am using the original glass for the windshield and rear window. The windshield still has the Fomoco mark on it but the rear window has a Safe Lite mark. Would this be the same company that is around today or a different one? I never remember that glass being replaced. All went great and not nearly as hard as I though it would be. Followed the directions step by step. We just hung the doors at this time. I have the weatherstrip to install but have not purchased new latches yet. With the little research I have done, it looks like only stainless steel is available. I plan to search a little more unless you guys know of a supplier to original style latches? It was a good day with my baby boy!

Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 PM
49fordv8f4
Posting Guru
49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold49fordv8f4 is a splendid one to behold
Your truck is looking great! The seat looks really nice also, it matches perfectly. I loved your video.
Mark

Old 07-05-2018, 07:23 PM
abe
Post Fiend
Dave, what do you mean by stainless steel door latches? Do you mean the striker plate that goes on the door pillars or the latch/locking mechanism that goes inside the door? I have some NOS striker plates or you could buy some on eBay. $18 plus $8.15 shipping for a pair. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Striker-Pla...4AAOSw8DJaSE6s

Do you plan on taking your doors off to put the weather stripping on? You almost have to, to do it right and without cutting the weatherstripping and to recent from the 3M adhesive from getting all over the place.

Your boy looks happy sitting behind the wheel!

Old 07-05-2018, 07:48 PM
df85732
Secret Agent
Yes Abe I did mean striker plate. Thanks for correcting me. Also, thanks for the ebay link. After my Son left I got to thinking about how I was going to put it on. I guess I got the horse in front of the cart😱 Luckily he only lives 20 miles away. Might have to bribe him to come out again with some homegrown Nebraska Beef. LOL I will evaluate it a little closer tomorrow. He is getting Married in October. It is my goal to use my truck as a prop. I haven't told the bride yet though😂

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grandpa's 55' F350 restore

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.