Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

is transmission drain plug sealant necessary

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 08:18 PM
diyster
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is transmission drain plug sealant necessary

I'm doing my first ever partial drain and fill on my ford escape transmission. I've done one, and after a few days, am going to do another. My question is whether one needs to put sealant on the drain plug when you put it back in. I've found a lot of conflicting info on this. This time, based on a neighbor, I just put it back in without any sealant, and so far nothing has leaked. But I'd like to do it right this next time, if sealant is necessary. I have some teflon tape and was thinking of wrapping two layers. I'd put it just below the top of the threads so it can't get in the transmission. FYI - this is a large tapered (I think) plug that does not have a bolt head or gasket like the oil drain plug. This just has the threads to make the seal.
What do people here do? Is it necessary to seal the transmission drain plug? Is teflon tape ok?
Thanks!

Old 11-17-2015, 08:30 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Teflon tape is NOT OK! It is not quite as bad as pipe sealant, but close. Any type of sealant on the threads could end up inside the trans where it can clog a small orifice or make a valve stick. Either of these would lead to a new transmission.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:45 PM
diyster
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Teflon tape is NOT OK! It is not quite as bad as pipe sealant, but close. Any type of sealant on the threads could end up inside the trans where it can clog a small orifice or make a valve stick. Either of these would lead to a new transmission.
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying do NOT use any sealing (tape or paste)? Is it supposed to just be the bare metal plug, and then snug it down to seal it?

Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by diyster
Thanks for your reply. Are you saying do NOT use any sealing (tape or paste)? Is it supposed to just be the bare metal plug, and then snug it down to seal it?
I thought this was quite clear:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Any type of sealant on the threads could end up inside the trans where it can clog a small orifice or make a valve stick. Either of these would lead to a new transmission.
DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON THE THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-18-2015, 09:52 AM
diyster
New User
Thanks Mark. You probably were clear before, but you are quite clear now. Don't use any sealant and the plug will be fine and you are saying it will not leak. I won't use anything sealant, and will just put the plug back in as is (bare).

Old 12-10-2015, 12:24 PM
diyster
New User
Just wanted to follow up on this thread if anyone reads it in the future. I put the plug back in bare (no sealant or tape of any kind). Its been about three weeks and 1,000 miles since I put the bare plug in, and there is not leaking or dripping.