Project Thunderhorn: Second Generation Bronco Build - Page 5 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Thunderhorn: Second Generation Bronco Build

Old 09-23-2016, 03:35 PM
Senior User

Thunderhorn is starting off with a positive reputation.
while i was at it. I figured i would add a bit of extra capacity to the oil pan since i am pretty sure i have the room and clean lines and square edges will be easier to weld anyway. So far ive made the initial cut, cleaned up those cuts and trued them straight, done some rust/paint removal and sanding and mocked up the plan with cardboard. I should be able to get the metal i need for around 30 bucks but ill probably hold off in order to put 30 more to the machine shop.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2016, 08:15 PM
Elder User

bigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud of
Nice to see you making steady progress. Just remember on the oil pan you will need to extend the oil pump pickup to the "new" bottom of the pan.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:07 PM
Senior User

Yes, I have to keep doing something related to the truck or it will go by the wayside. But I am determined to keep this project alive. Being that i was forced to leave both trucks in another state and almost 500 miles away plus struggling this much with money is putting it in serious danger of becoming an abandoned dream but I have decided that I will sell my body before I give up... On that note, This last weekend i did just that! (no, not in that way) The plasma clinic down a few blocks pays 50 bucks for plasma the first two times then 30 bucks every-time after that. I went in and got registered, examined, and they bled me for an hour, but I got my money! 50 bucks towards the project isn't much but once i get the other 50 i can take the engine into the machinist and get the ball rolling again. Even the slightest progress is monumentally better than none! Ill have to wait and see how the plasmaphoresis affects me but if all is well i will be able to 'donate' up to twice a week... Brick by brick till the job is done.
Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Senior User

did another session of plasmaphoresis last week and got the engine to the machinist. the got the list back yesterday.
-Block needs to be decked and trued, also honed/bored
-bores are 30 over and need to be cleaned up to 40 over
- rockers are good
- cam is pitted and flatened,
- crank is 10 under and needs to be cleaned up another 10
- pistons have lots of scratches (replacing them anyway)
- rods need resizing and threads fixed (basically need to replace them too)
- heads mag fine but need at least a valve job, likely new seats

So essentially right now i need to:
- decide on pistons,
- rods
- cam (+lifters)
then i can get these items to my machinist and he can clean up the block to accommodate them.
Problem is, i am having alot of trouble finding any good info or variety of choices for pistons and rods. I talked to tmeyer briefly but i didn't feel like he was interested in explaining anything to me. I am interested in the 400 engine kit they sell but i was hoping to be able to 'shop around' a bit before making any decisions even though i will probably go with something from tmeyer in the end. I wonder if there is anywhere else to get these parts.
anyway, i probably wont be able to buy anything until at least after Christmas at this point so i will be doing alot of research these next few months to get a plan set. Anyone on here built one of these themselves and got any helpfull tips?
All in all the project is creeping along towards victory!
Old 12-07-2016, 10:36 PM
Elder User

1985 Bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Any updates?
Old 12-08-2016, 08:59 AM
Senior User

No updates really. I have picked out all my parts though. Just need about 1200 dollars to get my pistons, rings, cam, lifters, bearings, oil pump, gaskets, and some other goodies. Then with pistons and cam stuff in hand we can start the machine work. I figure for about 16-18 hundred bucks my bottom end will be finished. Then just some attention (another few hundred likely, maybe SS valves and new springs) to the heads, a 400 dollar carburetor, 1-2 hundred dollar dynotune/test hopefully then hopefully i will be living somewhere i can bring the rest of the truck to. We will see what happens with my taxes, if i come out getting money back it will likely be the best chance i am going to get to do this, if i get hit by healthcare penalties because my wife couldn't get enrolled I may be screwed.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Senior User

Good news and bad news and possible solutions! Good news is I have about half the money I need for the engine kit, and we should be getting money back from taxes this year I THINK. Bad news is I am having some registration problems which need to be resolved before I can commit all this money to the engine. I am working on resolving said problems but its mostly a waiting game. I may have to tow White up here to Oregon in the process. Havent gotten anything else done but been keeping the stress/obsession levels up where they are supposed to be concerning the project in general. It would be helpful if I knew anyone who shared the obsession. The other guys at the shop are more into their ricecars than 4x4s and there don't seem to be any Bronco guys in/around the Eugene area.
Old 02-05-2017, 01:22 PM
Posting Guru

Black Ford XLT is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hope your paper work comes thru, Still rather push a 4x4 than even ride in a rice burner my.02 cents Good luck TR
Old 02-06-2017, 01:19 AM
Senior User

SDDL-UP is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thunderhorn,

Eugene is known for two things - liberals and running! You are fortunate to have found anyone interested in ricers even. Love what you are doing with the project!