Project Thunderhorn: Second Generation Bronco Build - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Thunderhorn: Second Generation Bronco Build

Old 03-24-2016, 12:46 PM
Posting Guru

Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorn View Post
Haha its funny you say that because now that i have two bronco i really want to continue the original project AND put the IDI from this (The blue Bullnose) in the other Bronco but even then I would want to put something else back in the Bullnose XD
I know that's going to be me when I have my own place and can get part vehicles. I get excited when I see a beat up vehicle that I like being sold cheap on craigslist and know I'd probably start to have a collection.

Putting that diesel in your bronco would be pretty cool though!
Old 04-01-2016, 12:35 AM
Senior User

Thunderhorn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Jones View Post
I know that's going to be me when I have my own place and can get part vehicles. I get excited when I see a beat up vehicle that I like being sold cheap on craigslist and know I'd probably start to have a collection.

Putting that diesel in your bronco would be pretty cool though!
Well even if I owned my place instead of rented my wife wouldn't be very happy about all the trucks. I am just happy she has been so supportive with the 6 vehicles I own right now, 4 of which are on the property and 2 of which look like crap in the yard.

If you want to collect cars/trucks, stay single or bring it up on your first date and see what she says lol
Old 04-01-2016, 12:54 AM
Senior User

Alright, didn't get a chance to put it up yesterday when it happened but here it is! (Or not, I cant seem to get pics to upload tonight so ill try again tomorrow ) Rented a crap trailer for cheap and my Father-In-Law towed with his killer Superduty. Stoked to have it here and after a bit more inspection everything is as good as expected. There was ONE potentially disastrous problem during the trip though, I will cover that next... Cue dramatic music, DUHN-DUHN-DUHN!
Old 04-01-2016, 09:39 AM
Senior User

There we go. Damn pictures were too big I guess. These are the only ones I could upload.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2016, 09:52 AM
Senior User

During the trip the tow was pretty easy. The 6.7 didnt even hardly notice the weight, however the trailer brakes didn't work so downhills were a bit bouncy/jerky. We stopped plenty to check our tie down and even re-positioned the truck once because it looked strange how the back tires didn't seem to line up... Well, after closer inspection it was apparent that they actually DIDN'T line up at all. My guess is the U-bolt was broken for a while and driving it up on the trailer busted it loose, the axle was trying to escape and one of the wedges almost did. couldnt do anything but tie down and hope for the best though... Got it home without a hitch (lol towing pun) from there on and I took the broken bolt out for ordering. New one should be here by early next week...
(Sorry 'bout the fuzzy pictures, re-sizing is destroying them)
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Senior User

Project Black and White

So, with the arrival of the Black Bronco (and looking at 'black' and 'white' side by side) the fate of white has been sealed. I knew it was beat up but I didn't really realize how far gone it was until seeing a decent one next to it. (though i should have known because i bought it from a guy who picked it clean as HIS donor truck) The white one is going to be my donor truck and will be going down to Placerville for storage. I for sure want the engine, exhaust, battery, grille pieces, dash pad, and a bunch of other little stuff as well as just having spare axles and stuff to use if i ever need them. Mainly, The Thunder WILL LIVE ON through the engine and hopefully my parents can still use it as a ranch truck. This does hurt, because I've been through so much already with the white one, but I am happy with the outcome already as the acquisition of Black has pushed the project forward YEARS and for less than the original purchase price of White aswell. Also, now i have the part time transfer case and 4 speed that I've always wanted.
For now though, Project Thunderhorn will be chiefly on hold until we get settled in Oregon and I will just be working on "Project Black and White" getting both trucks ready to move and doing some small fun stuff on Black.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
Glad you got er home safe. It's a small world, I just snapped a pic of Black when I was cruising around dent spotting.

It is a bitter pill to swallow having to (sort of) let go of White, but you already have plan to have it live vicariously through Black.

What is your end plan for Black? Just mechanical/off road stuff, or are you gonna do cosmetic stuff too?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:28 PM
Senior User

Hmm... Well I haven't really thought about an END plan much but here are some things I would like to do:
-The Engine build and swap between the two trucks,
-Go through the drive-train and make sure everything is solid, then put new seals on everything to eliminate leakage and then paint.
-Needs new body mounts, preferably poly. On that note ALL new poly bushings.
-2 or 3 inch taller leafs and coils, none of that blocks and spacers crap. And no need for the 5 or 6 inches that White has.
-Some nice 35'' tires, maybe on beadlocks.
-Bunch of LED lights. Flood and spot up front, a flood for reverse, and some rock lights underneath.
-Possibly maybe 1 ton axles...
-Lockers for whichever axles i choose to stay with.
-Custom Front and Rear bumper with winch.
hmmm, and i really like the look of clearance lights and that exterior sunvisor you sometimes see but both are a little silly.

Right now the need to do list is:
#1 New U bolts!
#2 Fix rear drive-line situation
#3 Stop rust in a few small spots
#4 Fix fuel leak at carb
#5 Breaks need serious attention.
#1.5 Find a job in Oregon so i can find a house so i can stop stressing out (and register the damn thing)
Old 04-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
Sounds like you got a pretty good plan going. Sort of a shame that it has all that bedliner on it, seems like a pretty straight body.
Old 04-01-2016, 02:02 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain dewd View Post
Sounds like you got a pretty good plan going. Sort of a shame that it has all that bedliner on it, seems like a pretty straight body.
Yeah I like the bedliner but it IS kind of a shame because this body could accommodate a nice paint-job. plus it seems like some of his prep work wasn't thorough enough because a few spots are peeling off. all around pretty good though and bedliner or not, paint would be one of the last things on my list of eventually to do's so i still might paint it someday. Maybe not though I always wanted to cover the whole truck like that anyway. I might just put ANOTHER coat on instead.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:08 PM
Elder User

bigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud ofbigzirb has much to be proud of
So are you going to start a new build thread for the new Bronco or just morph this into a two rig build thread? Just want to know where to follow along on all of you hard work.
Old 04-01-2016, 03:19 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigzirb View Post
So are you going to start a new build thread for the new Bronco or just morph this into a two rig build thread?
As for right now the plan is a single build with two rigs, that is to say that, Black will eventually be the only rig called Thunderhorn. I kind of anticipated this sort of thing when I named the thread "Second Gen Bronco Build" in case I picked up two. Black is a 78 and White is 79 but the end result will be a combination. On this thread White will likely disappear from the spotlight but hopefully someday I will start a new build for White again but that's way too far away to think about right now. Though If I ever do get around to putting a diesel in white I figure I will call it Thunderhead lol... but thats getting way ahead of myself.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:40 PM
Senior User

So I've been doing some thinking (dangerous, I know) And I figured I would lay out my thoughts here. What I want to do with the two Broncos right now, a bit later, and SOMEDAY IF I ever stumble on to ALOT of money.
Right Now:
Fix up Black and make it daily driver worthy, use any parts I need from White that won't totally cripple it. Slowly work on all the little problems on Black that I don't already plan on addressing "a bit later" and just having fun with it.
A Bit Later:
Pull the Axles, Suspension, frame, and engine from White and rebuild them all to my dream rolling chassis. Once that is done I want to pull the tyranny and T case from black, quickly rebuild them, add them to the newly rebuilt rolling chassis, remove the chassis from black and replace it with the dream chassis. This way I figure I will minimize the down time of Black but still get some of the benefit of a total frame off restore. Then I could put the old chassis from Black back under White and therefore put white back into somewhat working condition. This whole process will likely take years but I think it is a solid plan that I CAN and WILL stick to and get done. Only time will tell though.
SOMEDAY MAYBE:
After the previous two plans have been finished and completely dependent on whether or not I am at a place in my life where I can afford to throw time and money around for no really justifiable reason, I want to sort of Revert Black back into a classic restored truck and less of a 4x4 TOY and WORK TRUCK. while simultaneously starting to build White back up into a COMPLETE 4x4 toy with no regard to keeping it classic. Power-stroke swap, 1 ton drivetrain, huge tires fit within cut fenders, off road bumpers... the sort of things I would feel bad about doing to a nice classic truck. This plan is a long shot though and i don't even know if i could do it without just selling one of the trucks.
Old 04-08-2016, 03:12 PM
Posting Guru

I have a pair of pre cut fenders that I took off my truck, if you come up to get them, they are yours, free. That way you don't need to chop your nice uncut fenders.

It sounds like you have a pretty solid plan for your trucks. I think the biggest thing is to keep one in a drivable state. Letting a rig sit for months or years can really make you lose momentum and interest.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Senior User

I might have to take you up on those fenders next time i'm out that way

So yesterday I got my new U bolts installed and today i (mostly) fixed my break issue by replacing the check valve on the break booster. Now that I can stop the truck suddenly I can better feel how bad the body mounts are. At least i think that is at least part of the problem. Massive body roll feels like the frame is floating on jello. I wonder could this also be bad shocks though too? Either way the body mounts are rotted bad and I am sure they are original 38 year old rubber. I am going to see if I can find some polly mounts in White though because everyone else always seems to have red.