Fuel lines at the "mixer" where and which color clip

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Poppa Squirrel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel lines at the "mixer" where and which color clip

Sunny beaches!

So, I thought that I'd need to clean out the mixer and maybe replace what I thought was an 'inline pump'. I was in a hurry, still am and that makes for stupid mistakes. I figured "the mixer" was the grey clipped on set of line nipples and that white thing up front was a small pump to get the fuel to the lift pump atop the engine.

So, I took off the lines and took the two mated parts to the Ford Dealership only to find out that it was a switching valve. I wanted to shoot myself.

I have 6 lines, in pairs, which go to the six nipples , in pairs on the mixer. If I recall, the black clips were close to the frame rail making them "source" lines. Which would then (if my memory is correct) make the lines with the white clips "return" lines.

The amusing and pity-enducing thing is that I set the clips on the edge of the frame, not re-inserting them into their respective lines. The steel lines are still on the frame, likely as the factory installed them, so that's ONE roadmap I can use. as far as which is coming from where off the top of the tank... I'll need some help with that one.

1. Which color clip is "source" and which is "return"
2. With regard to the steel lines in front of the mixer, which is "Source"
3. With regard to the steel lines coming from the rear of the mixer, which one is "Source"
4. How can I acurately determine which of the lines coming from the tank is "source"

I truly appreciate the help, I am trying to get fuel into the bowl and she's not co-operating. The time off work to get her running is not making me any money and the parts store doesn't take personality as payment.

Poppa Squirrel

Old 11-16-2015, 06:11 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think once you bolt the selector valve back to the frame, the lines will only hook up one way. Each pair is a supply and return, and they should be different sizes, maybe. The lines should just about lay where they would go on the valve. Also, clean the valve up real well, and each port should be marked. Hope that helps some.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Poppa Squirrel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Bill. I did as you recommended and sure enough, those buggers refused to do anything the way I wanted... It had to be THEIR WAY! Well, thank heavens for that.

I'm sure that each of us has had the "I don't have time for this $h1t" days. Mine has lasted a few weeks now. Realizing that each clip wasn't a matter of dirty and not so dirty and that there was no need for me to be tending this part of the truck at all nearly sent me to the loony bin. Using up that time which I didn't have on something I didn't need to do was a horrible revelation.

Thank you for taking your time to set me straaight. Glad that I have a "Spare car"

Old 11-17-2015, 08:46 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you got it worked out.