1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

VA to CA: 1952 F1 Rebuild (S) Project: Day 0

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:49 AM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VA to CA: 1952 F1 Rebuild (S) Project: Day 0

This is our not so new Ford F1 (1952). It was purchased by my Granddad new in 1953. I recently shipped it from Virginia out here to San Francisco, and plan on rebuilding it with my 2 boys (11 & 14). That trip went so-so: the truck arrived without its tailgate which was presumably stolen somewhere along the way. I found this forum and thought it would be great to make an introduction. As you can tell, the truck is in need of a whole lot of attention. We have a few headwinds coming at us. I’d rate my mechanical skills as somewhere around shade tree mechanic. I grew up working on tractors, cars and implements but never learned how to weld . Also, living in the city, we are very limited on garage space. Using an engine hoist is completely out of the question .

Goals: we want to do a mostly original rebuild, same straight 6 engine, body, etc. Since this is a tow vehicle for my last project, Granddad’s wooden boat, we expect to upgrade to disk brakes and would like to get some seatbelts. We need to completely disassemble the truck, clean up and paint the frame, suspension, etc. and work our way back up. We’re not trying to make a museum piece, just preserve and drive.

For the body, that leaves us with needing to make decisions on what pieces we can fix, what we have to hire out and what we will simply replace. Mechanically, we plan to send the block and heads out to machine shop and reassemble at home. We haven’t decided yet if we’re staying 6v or not: that type of decision is months and months away.

We will do our best to search the forum and ask relatives questions before we post any stupid questions here . The breadth of the project is a little intimidating but we’re excited to get started.

Here are a few pictures of the truck:

Attached Images         
Old 05-07-2016, 08:56 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to hear of another family heirloom being saved. Looks like a great starting point. Stick around, ask the questions. Search feature of the forum is not the best. Usually someone will have an answer although we don't always agree on what is the right answer. We do all tend to get along. Thanks for the pictures, keep them coming. How about a picture of that old boat. The fact that it will be towed by a F1 makes it right on topic.

Old 05-07-2016, 09:16 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

That should be a fun project for you and your boys.

I did not know how to weld when I got my truck, but last year, I took a welding class at a local vocademy and bought a MIG welder.

I think you'll find that skill helpful on this truck.

And yes, let's see that boat.

Old 05-09-2016, 05:00 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Thanks for the warm welcome. As requested, here's a picture of the boat when I got done with her. She was home made in my grand dad's garage in 1958-59. One of those projects that started as a row boat and grew and grew. I fixed up and ran the original Johnson outboard when I got it here to CA and promptly hung it in my shop. The 1958 v4 50 hp was a notoriously unreliable motor and not in sync with using the boat for family camping trips, skiing, etc. Not to mention it drinks gas like it cost < $0.25/gallon (because it did when it was built )

The boat project was mostly refinishing labor and some new woodwork (windshield, rear seats). She needed a new transom and that I had to hire a marine carpenter to fab & install with me.

The boat was a labor of love but now on to things more Ford...I can't wait to have the original tow vehicle back on the road and pulling the boat.

Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2016, 05:48 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the FTE -- You will have a ball with your boys- remember this is a fun hobby (it can get very frustrating at times) so enjoy the time with them. You may want to find the thread about TRUCKSTOCK Northern CA that is going to happen soon. You could meet a great bunch of guys and gals. The idea of TRUCKSTOCK is to talk about the old rigs with no pressure -- great source for information and possible help. Plus it is always great to be able to put a face with a name. You don't need to take a truck to enjoy it.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:54 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! I'm assuming that the truck doesn't currently run and drive. I do suggest that you consider breaking the project into two separate parts. First, safety and mechanicals: brakes and drive train, along with steering and seat belts. Put the truck back on the road without trying to do the cosmetic upgrades. After you have a few - or more than a few - miles on it, you'll better know what is needed versus what might be nice to have. This would also prevent you from having a multi-year project without any road time. Your call, but trying to get it all right the first time, while still learning, isn't usually as successful as desired.

Enjoy the journey.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:00 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE you have the right project to bond in a new way with those boys. May i suggest start with the smaller jobs you feel you can complete now. After you and the boys feel more confident go for the tougher ones. You may be amazed how quick the boys will learn through you tube how to do most of things they have never done.Most importantly have fun.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:42 PM
pholmes350
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the truck comes out as good as the boat that will be a sweet pair. Good luck! This site is a valuable tool, and it's free. Welcome!

Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by 49f3dls
Welcome to the FTE -- You will have a ball with your boys- remember this is a fun hobby (it can get very frustrating at times) so enjoy the time with them. You may want to find the thread about TRUCKSTOCK Northern CA that is going to happen soon. You could meet a great bunch of guys and gals. The idea of TRUCKSTOCK is to talk about the old rigs with no pressure -- great source for information and possible help. Plus it is always great to be able to put a face with a name. You don't need to take a truck to enjoy it.
Thanks for pointing us to that meetup. I had already looked and seen that I couldn't make it to the Nationals or the West coast thing down in Orange County this summer. It turns out I can't make the No. Cal Truckstock either. Grrr. Just seeing a few trucks would get the kids really engaged, plus I need to start figuring out parts sources.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:38 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
Originally Posted by pweng1
Welcome to FTE you have the right project to bond in a new way with those boys. May i suggest start with the smaller jobs you feel you can complete now. After you and the boys feel more confident go for the tougher ones. You may be amazed how quick the boys will learn through you tube how to do most of things they have never done.Most importantly have fun.
Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't really thought about it that way, I was eager to take it all the way down to the frame and patiently build it back up. The bed is shot, but I can just take it off and try to get it on the road. This kinda plays to my strengths too. I've pulled and rebuilt motors, it's the body work that is brand new.

John

Old 05-09-2016, 11:27 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome, there's no better place on the net than here for almost anything pertaining to your truck. And, building with your boys is awesome. That is a real sweet boat.

Old 05-10-2016, 02:05 PM
JakRak
Senior User
Cool Effie, it's always nice to hear about an old rig staying in the family! And although I'm not much on boats, yours looks pretty sweet.

Old 05-10-2016, 07:32 PM
Marauder2004
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a nice project truck and a beautiful boat you have there! The two together with their history are a priceless combination.
One thought is that after you get her running and safe, a body shop would never be able to duplicate that decades earned patina.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:21 PM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello,

And....another welcome to the forum. That will be a classic boat/truck combination! It appears that you are well entrenched in the classic vehicle addiction. If you keep going you'll need a warehouse!

Dan

Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 PM
WallaceSF
Senior User
We've been spraying parts with penetrating oil and today we had our first movement. The hood is open...

It's great to see the excitement of an engine compartment to an 11 year old. What does THAT do???? What about THAT???

It looks to me like we're 6 cotter pins from pulling the hood off the hinges. Is that right?

Unfortunately, no movement yet on either of our locked, rusted frozen shut doors. I'm thinking the hinge pins are the best way in. I've sprayed, clamped and beat on them and no luck yet. I think a smoke wrench will be the next step. I've yet to see replacement hinges for a 52, only for later models, so I don't want to bust these if I can help it.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: VA to CA: 1952 F1 Rebuild (S) Project: Day 0