Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 swap to 2wd truck

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 03:18 PM
1Austin112
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4x4 swap to 2wd truck

Hey all,

So I had found a pretty decent deal local for a 95 F150 XLT 5.0 3.02 JUST like the same modal truck i already own and drive daily, same year modal engine and everything but the one i found is a 4x4 with 32's on it. Well he also gave me another 95 F150 XLT 4x4 5.0 302 for free in the deal but it was in an accident and the front end frame is all bent down but has a 4" lift on it. The issue im having is the "running" one is basiclly junk, it hardly runs and stalls quite a bit, but 4x4 does work on it and the axles are in working order. The frame is extremely rusted and doesn't look safe, almost every metal line is very rusted almost to the point of breaking, he removed everything for the AC unit and replaced it with a normal pully. lots of lines are cut and over all not great, Coil springs broken. I spent quite some money on this so i cant just junk it. My question is how hard and is it possible to transfer the 4x4 setup to my daily driver 2wd? My frame is very good, engine is good trans needs rebuilt but not a problem, they are both the same year modal engine size but the one i bought is 4x4 and mine is 2wd. If it is possible how hard would it be and any advice? Again everything 4x4 isn't rusty and is working, could i just swap the axles out? Simple bolt up or alot of work required.

Thank you all, Hoping you all can help on this new step in my ford life, you were all very helpful when i got my other 95

95 F150 XLT 5.0 302 4x4
WB - 133
Type-GWM - F142
Body - D64
Trans - U ( 4R70W )
Axle - 17
Springs - K I

95 F150 XLT 5.0 302 2WD
WB - 133
Body - 564
Trans - U ( 4R70W )
Axle - 18
Springs K G

Old 11-11-2015, 04:10 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I've researched this because I plan on doing it if I can ever find the right cheap donor. Everything will bolt right in. You will have to use the 4x4 cross member and rear driveshaft. You will also have to swap your rear ended since they are a different ratio. And if you want it to sit correct, you will have to swap the rear leaf springs because they are 3" vs 2.5" and the 4x4 lift block is for a 3" spring. The holes are already under your carpet/rubber for the transfer case shifter, just unbolt the cover and pry it loose. There's never going to be an easier time to replace all your bushings, ball joints, u-joints, coil springs, etc.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:20 PM
1Austin112
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ron94150
I've researched this because I plan on doing it if I can ever find the right cheap donor. Everything will bolt right in. You will have to use the 4x4 cross member and rear driveshaft. You will also have to swap your rear ended since they are a different ratio. And if you want it to sit correct, you will have to swap the rear leaf springs because they are 3" vs 2.5" and the 4x4 lift block is for a 3" spring. The holes are already under your carpet/rubber for the transfer case shifter, just unbolt the cover and pry it loose. There's never going to be an easier time to replace all your bushings, ball joints, u-joints, coil springs, etc.
Thats real good news i like to hear, the leaf springs on the 3x3 are real rusty as well as where they mount so i would probably purchase new ones. drive shaft i already figured i would need to swap since it would be shorter on the 4x4 going to the Tcase. And also on this modal of 4x4 for whatever reason it actually doesnt have the 4x4 shifter, its got the buttons mounted on the dash that look factory done, for high and low. How hard of a task do you think this would be? Im not super advanced in mechanics but have a decent understanding and willing to learn as i go as ive been doing. Any special tools required? I already know i need to go get a air compresser and torch ( been holding out ) but other then that anything i should know?

Old 11-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
I don't know about the electronic shift transfer case. I plan on a manual. I'm sure you could run the harness and all that, but I'm 99% sure they are the same transfer case, just with an electric shift motor bolted to it. Someone may chime in here that knows for sure, but you may just go to the junkyard and salvage some linkage and a shifter and bolt on. The electric shift motors, relays, and switches are prone to failure. As far as the rear springs go, I was going to keep my 2.5" springs and do an add-a-leaf and an adjustable helper spring. What is the torch for? Do you mean a cutting torch or a little propane torch to heat rusty bolts with. I sure hope your not going to buy a cutting torch just for this job.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:52 PM
1Austin112
Senior User
I don't know about the electronic shift transfer case. I plan on a manual. I'm sure you could run the harness and all that, but I'm 99% sure they are the same transfer case, just with an electric shift motor bolted to it. Someone may chime in here that knows for sure, but you may just go to the junkyard and salvage some linkage and a shifter and bolt on. The electric shift motors, relays, and switches are prone to failure. As far as the rear springs go, I was going to keep my 2.5" springs and do an add-a-leaf and an adjustable helper spring. What is the torch for? Do you mean a cutting torch or a little propane torch to heat rusty bolts with. I sure hope your not going to buy a cutting torch just for this job.
Not a cutting torch, just a little 50$ set at the local hardware store for rusty bolts, everything is extremely rusty under and on this truck and im very sure it would be a heck of a time trying to do the whole job without one, even replacing some stuff on my 2wd i had a heck of a time and its not even close to as rusty. As for the electric transfer case / switches i dont know if it would have to be the same harness, as far as ive read and someone correct me if im wrong, its basiclly just some switches hooked to a power source and relay shouldnt be to much of a problem, although the junkyard by me has like 15 f150s 1990 - 1996 so any parts i may need wouldnt be an issue. Just not sure how long it would take to complete as my 2wd is my daily driver and winter is coming fast

Old 11-11-2015, 05:09 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't know about the electronic shift transfer case. I plan on a manual. I'm sure you could run the harness and all that, but I'm 99% sure they are the same transfer case, just with an electric shift motor bolted to it. Someone may chime in here that knows for sure, but you may just go to the junkyard and salvage some linkage and a shifter and bolt on.
That electric setup is factory, it's the ESOF (Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly) system and is not the most reliable, with the majority of the unreliability being attributed to the auto hubs.

The transfer case are NOT the same internally. The gear train and all is 95% the same and many parts are interchangeable but the shift mechanism is completely different and the case halves are different as well.

Best bet is to sell that electric case if it works, and go get you a manual case from the junkyard. If you want to swap the electric case into your 2wd truck I am not sure if the harness is separate (pretty sure it is) but you will need the wiring, controller (in passenger kick panel) and transfer case.

Don't bother swapping the auto hubs over, throw them in the trash and get a good set of manual hubs instead. They will work fine with the electric shift system.

I know all this because I ripped out my electric shift system and replaced the transfer case with a manual one on my truck. Just took out all the electric stuff (not necessary, I just don't like unused parts hanging around), cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, and bolted it all up.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:56 PM
1Austin112
Senior User
Follow up question for anyone that can answer, how long do you think it would take to swap the axles and t case from the junk 4x4 to my good 2wd? think it can be done in a day ( 8am - 7pm )

Old 11-11-2015, 09:22 PM
toby tough
Posting Guru
If you had everything sitting there off the 4x4 ready and a couple friends to help, I would say 3 days. You have to figure in taking the stuff off your 2WD also. Renting a tranny jack will make it easier and safer. Then there are the unforeseen delays. Rusted bolts, trips to the hardware/parts store, frosty beverages..... Use MAPPS gas for the little torch set up. Burns hotter than propane. JMO it would take a long weekend plus. I always give myself some extra time just in case.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 PM
1Austin112
Senior User
Originally Posted by toby tough
If you had everything sitting there off the 4x4 ready and a couple friends to help, I would say 3 days. You have to figure in taking the stuff off your 2WD also. Renting a tranny jack will make it easier and safer. Then there are the unforeseen delays. Rusted bolts, trips to the hardware/parts store, frosty beverages..... Use MAPPS gas for the little torch set up. Burns hotter than propane. JMO it would take a long weekend plus. I always give myself some extra time just in case.
Gotcha, I work normally 6 days a week but next week im off for 3 days so i was thinking of then possibly. At this point i have 0 people to help me so it may be a spring project since my garage isnt big enough to fit my truck in.

Thanks

Old 11-11-2015, 09:53 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The front axle is a couple hours tops. The transfer case, you can't just bolt in, the transmission needs to be changed as well.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:21 PM
1Austin112
Senior User
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB
The front axle is a couple hours tops. The transfer case, you can't just bolt in, the transmission needs to be changed as well.
what all needs to be done with the transfer case for it to work? Transmission is the same exact one as my 2wd now but my tranny is shot regardless so it was swappin as well

Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 AM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dixie460
That electric setup is factory, it's the ESOF (Electronic Shift-On-The-Fly) system and is not the most reliable, with the majority of the unreliability being attributed to the auto hubs.

The transfer case are NOT the same internally. The gear train and all is 95% the same and many parts are interchangeable but the shift mechanism is completely different and the case halves are different as well.

Best bet is to sell that electric case if it works, and go get you a manual case from the junkyard. If you want to swap the electric case into your 2wd truck I am not sure if the harness is separate (pretty sure it is) but you will need the wiring, controller (in passenger kick panel) and transfer case.

Don't bother swapping the auto hubs over, throw them in the trash and get a good set of manual hubs instead. They will work fine with the electric shift system.

I know all this because I ripped out my electric shift system and replaced the transfer case with a manual one on my truck. Just took out all the electric stuff (not necessary, I just don't like unused parts hanging around), cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, and bolted it all up.
I second trashing the auto locking hubs. I've stripped two sets out. Thanks for clearing up the electric shift transfer case. One truck I was looking at was an Eddie Bauer with electric shift transfer case, guess I can mark it off the list. When I finally buy a donor, it will be complete and everything I need. Not hunting parts.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:04 AM
Willz74
Elder User
Try swapping a few parts at a time it seems like you don't have enough time to do it all at once

Old 11-12-2015, 09:13 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by toby tough
Use MAPPS gas for the little torch set up. Burns hotter than propane.
Barely. True MAPP gas is no longer available and ain't been since about 2008 when the only plant in the country shut down, probably due to the evil EPA.

What you see in the yellow cylinders now if you look closely is actually MAP/PRO which is a half-a$$ blend of propane and some other crap and does not burn as hot as the old, REAL MAPP gas did.

If any of y'all have actual MAPP gas left, save it for when you REALLY need it because that's the last of a good thing.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:51 AM
1Austin112
Senior User
Yeah the local store just sells the blue and yellow tank set, ive seen it work many times so it may be a good backup plan to have just incase, This weekend they are towing the other junk 95 to my house since i dont have a tow truck, this is the one with the bent frame, so i guess theres all good parts on that but a bad frame so i will see if i can swap all the broken parts on the 4x4 this weekend just to get me through winter then come spring do the 4x4 swap on my 2wd. You said to junk the auto hubs, how easy is it to put manual hubs on instead? Im brand new to 4x4 trucks and learning that they are a bit different then 2wd but mostly the same minus a few parts

Quick Reply: 4x4 swap to 2wd truck