1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

New to vanning but not new here

Old 11-11-2015, 07:08 AM
00Boss
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to vanning but not new here

Hey guys, my first time in this neck of the woods. I used to hang in the 80-86 pickup area but things have changed.

I am the new and not sure if I'm happy yet owner of an 89 e350 convertion van. This thing has just bout everything I wanted in a van but it's a bit wore down. I'll deffinitly be posting here as I run into trouble fixing her up.

I'll also post pics once I have more then just the ad pics

Old 11-12-2015, 02:27 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 165 Likes on 152 Posts
Welcome to the Vanning neck of the woods! Lots of good folks here from all over to help out. From time to time we even visit the other side of the mountains where the trucks live!

Old 11-16-2015, 02:25 PM
00Boss
Elder User
Old 11-18-2015, 12:56 AM
68Mercury250Ranger
Laughing Gas
looks good to me, somebody had a bra on the front most of its life?

bit of touch up and some buffing and that paint might come out pretty nice yet.

5.8 or a 7.5 in it?
I would have bought it. all the conversion vans around here are E150s and can't pull a decent trailer with them.
cheers James

Old 11-18-2015, 02:44 AM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 165 Likes on 152 Posts
From what I can tell I think with a little work it will clean up pretty good.
Keep us updated..

I noticed the booster seat. If you have a child that requires a booster seat and all you have is lap belts, make sure your seat is designed for lap belt only use..

I mention this because neither of my vans have shoulder belts in the back and I have a couple of families in my neighborhood that I help out sometimes, both have children that require seats.. You are not supposed to use a standard booster seat with a lap belt only because it sets the child up too high and they can get hurt worse then if they didn't have a seat at all..

Here Is what I am looking into for my needs
E-Z-ON 86Y Universal Harness | E-Z-ON Products, Inc. of Florida
They make two different models and it requires a tether bolt to be installed behind the seat in the floor. They are available at my local county school bus shop for $60.00 That beats 2 or 4 hundred bucks for a seat.

IF your seat is not designed for lap belts only then check with your local police department (not just a patrolman), and state laws..

Here is Oregon law
The booster seat requirement does not apply when the rear seat of the vehicle is equipped only with lap belts, provided the child is secured by the lap belt.http://www.oregonimpact.org/booster-seats/

These laws can be confusing from state to state... And I asume they would apply to what ever state you happened to be in..
According to
https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/direct...SafetyFAQs.pdf
When a child reaches their 8th birthday no matter their
height, it is legal for the child to use only the adult safety belt in the passenger vehicle.

Georgia
Exceptions:
A child under age 8 and weighing at least 40 pounds is not exempt from the law. Such a child may use a lap belt instead of a car seat or booster seat when:
The vehicle is not equipped with lap and shoulder belts; or
Excluding the driver’s seat, all seating positions with lap and shoulder belts are being used to restrain other children.

Q: When can my child ride in the front seat?
A: Georgia law requires children to ride in the back seat until age 8.

See Georgia is confusing to me because the law states a child under age 8 may use a lap belt " if all shoulder belt seats are being used by other children. "
The front passenger seat in my van has a shoulder belt.. But then it says children under 8 must ride in the back!

So I am going to print out the GA laws and get the captain of our local police department to sign the paper stating that we talked about this.. That way if one of his patrol officers pull me over and try to say the children aren't in booster seats, I can hand them the signed paper..

Old 11-21-2015, 11:59 PM
00Boss
Elder User
Originally Posted by annaleigh
From what I can tell I think with a little work it will clean up pretty good.
Keep us updated..

I noticed the booster seat. If you have a child that requires a booster seat and all you have is lap belts, make sure your seat is designed for lap belt only use..
Thanks for the concern, yes the seat is safe for laps only.

Sadly that is also the good side, the roof and drivers side ain't nearly as clean. I have every intention of repainting and using perforated vinyl to allow me to have a BA mural on the sides.

She is a 7.5 e4od with 4.10s, the E350 is half the reason I bought her. It's a rare beast with these options and I need a tow rig.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 AM
jayro88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 00Boss
She is a 7.5 e4od with 4.10s, the E350 is half the reason I bought her. It's a rare beast with these options and I need a tow rig.
Whatcha towing with it?

Old 11-22-2015, 05:29 PM
00Boss
Elder User
For now it'll just be my 57 IH. But I hope to pull a nice toy hauler one day.