Sponsored by: Moser

Snow wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 08:47 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow wheels and tires

So, at this point I think I'm just gonna run the snow wheels and tires. I've got my stock 22" Limited wheels that the tires are about done for and need replaced before snow hits.

My worry is in regard to the durability of the snow tires when towing and hauling. I've got a Limited so it can't take large loads to start with. The most I usually have a a scrap trailer that weighs in around 4000 pounds when loaded and maybe another 1000 pounds in the bed of the truck. Besides that the most I have is a 16' steel car trailer with a car or small SUV. I don't have anything really large to tow at this point.

My other worry is about damaging the tires running them through gravel and through the scrap yard. The 22" Limited tires already sag with 1000+ pounds on them. I'm thinking of going with just some 17" steel wheels and Blizzaks from Tire Rack and I'm assuming they will be able to handle much more than my 22" Limited setup will.

What are you guys running for snow setups? Any issues or concerns with towing?

Old 11-10-2015, 01:40 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Also, I just found they make a 33" snow tire in the 285/70/17 Blizzak DM-V1's. I wouldn't be as opposed to snow tires if they will look halfway decent as well. I would imagine that I shouldn't have any issues with load rating if I'm running that size. Again, I'm curious of your guy's thoughts concerning load ratings and running snow tires. I'm still rather a newbie concerning trailer towing and loading the bed.

Old 11-10-2015, 02:04 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
I run two different versions of Blizzaks and I'm very happy with both. I have DM-V1's on my f-250 (previously on my Expedition) and on my Chrysler 300c. We also run them on an Explorer, Explorer sport trac, Chrysler 300c.

Bridgestone Blizzak W965 | Bridgestone Tires

With my F-150 I'm running 265/70 17 Blizzak W965 which is an LT rated snow tire. I'd say grip is equal (or very close) to the DM-V1 but the tire is not as soft as it's made for heavier duty trucks. I got these tires and wheels (stock chrome 17's) from my Grandfather when he sold his '04 F-150 last summer which he had used them on during the winters since 2007. When I got them last fall I added TMPS and slapped them on.

I think the W965 would give you all the load capacity you could ever require, since these are run on 1-ton trucks, but give you the traction of a dedicated snow tire.

here is my set-up

Old 11-10-2015, 02:14 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
The DM-V1's are definitely the more "snow tire" oriented one whereas the W965's look like a commercial tire. I've never heard of the W965's before honestly. Even if I were to use the "small" 255/70/17 DM-V1's they are rated for 2300 pounds, so almost 9400 pounds total. IIRC the truck weighs in around 6500 pounds with me in it last time I went to the scrap yard, but I can't remember for sure. Figure I've still got 3000 pounds worth of people, trailer, and gear I'd imagine I'd be ok. The 33" DM-V1's are rated for 11,200 pounds! I'd doubt I'd need to run the W965's and would honestly prefer a softer tire for a little more smoother ride, especially since I'm only towing once every couple months. Generally in the winter I don't use the bed for a ****load of stuff. I just wanted to make sure that when I do go to the scrapyard or pull a car trailer in the winter and am loaded up that I don't have to worry about anything hurting those tires.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:51 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

They may look more commercial but I can tell you from personal experience that they are just as good. I have noticed they wear much better then the DM-V1's because I have 7 seasons on these and they show the same amount of wear my DM-V1's on my Expedition showed in 3 seasons. Both were put on every year at the same time and removed at the same time with the same annual miles driven. Something to think about if you live somewhere that the roads are pavement more then ice/snow covered.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:02 AM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
I'll do some comparing on the prices and see what the difference in in the size I want to run. Thanks for the tip!

Last night I scored a set of 2010 F150 4x4 17x7.5 steel wheels with center caps and lug nuts for 50 bucks! They have some corrosion, but are straight with no bends or issues. I'm thinking of painting them white. As far as I can tell 17x7.5 is the smallest and narrowest wheel you can run on the 09-14 so ideally it's going to be the best wheel for winter use. There's tons of options for 17" tires as well and the wheels are cheap as well. I'm going to assume that any decent wheel is going to be more than rated enough to well exceed the trucks GVCW.

Now I just need to figure out what size tire I want to run.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:34 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by the_auto_tech
I'll do some comparing on the prices and see what the difference in in the size I want to run. Thanks for the tip!

Last night I scored a set of 2010 F150 4x4 17x7.5 steel wheels with center caps and lug nuts for 50 bucks! They have some corrosion, but are straight with no bends or issues. I'm thinking of painting them white. As far as I can tell 17x7.5 is the smallest and narrowest wheel you can run on the 09-14 so ideally it's going to be the best wheel for winter use. There's tons of options for 17" tires as well and the wheels are cheap as well. I'm going to assume that any decent wheel is going to be more than rated enough to well exceed the trucks GVCW.

Now I just need to figure out what size tire I want to run.

This is why I opted for the 17" wheels for my snow tires. What are you doing with the TPMS?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:07 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
For winter traction, I've found narrow and tall work the best.

For a stock size, look for 235/75r17.

If you want to upsize, look for 245/75r17 or 235/80r17 but thos are likely to only be available in 10ply.

A question to the group... What are you all doing about the tpms? Looking at the light all winter? Or getting sensors for both wheels and reprograming the truck when you swap?

Old 11-11-2015, 02:36 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by meborder
For winter traction, I've found narrow and tall work the best.

For a stock size, look for 235/75r17.

If you want to upsize, look for 245/75r17 or 235/80r17 but thos are likely to only be available in 10ply.

A question to the group... What are you all doing about the tpms? Looking at the light all winter? Or getting sensors for both wheels and reprograming the truck when you swap?

I bought a set of 17" Black steel wheels, Blzzaks, and the tpms for them. First sign of snow, or steady 40*F temps, and they go on..

There was no way I was gonna look at that tpms warning light, and listen to that chime all winter long. I wasn't about to swap the sensors either. I didn't have to program the new sensors either.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:49 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

I bought a set of TPMS and had them installed in the wheels. They programmed them to the truck that one time. I've since swapped to summers and back to winters and done no extra programming but everything is working as it should.

Old 11-11-2015, 03:11 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by sammy77
This is why I opted for the 17" wheels for my snow tires. What are you doing with the TPMS?
I'll probably pull them out of the Limited wheels and put them on then buy a new set of sensors in the spring when I do the big wheels and tires. I'll probably end up selling the 22" wheels.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:44 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Has anyone found any snows bigger than 265/70/17?

Old 11-12-2015, 12:16 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
Also, any recommendation what color to paint the winter wheels?

Old 11-12-2015, 05:37 PM
the_auto_tech
Posting Guru
So, it seems like my options will be Blizzak DM-V1/V2 or Winterforce UV for a P-Metric tire and the Blizzak W965 or Winterforce LT for LT tires. It seems the only other actual snow tire that was recommended was the Cooper M&S which is an LT tire as well. These were the highest recommended actual snow tires. A lot of people recommended Duratracs or T/A KO's but I've used both in the snow and they don't compare to an actual snow tire. I've always had Blizzaks and loved them, but I've known a lot of people with the Winterforces and said they were great too. Bridgestone and Nokian kind of started the snow tire market though, but Nokians are too rich for my blood.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:41 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I'm on the second set of general altimax artic for our Subaru. With the AWD and the winter tires if is nearly unstoppable.

If I were going to get dedicated winter tire for the expedition, it would probably be these.

Generally they are reasonably priced, too.

Quick Reply: Snow wheels and tires