Special Order Paint 1981 Flareside 4x4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Special Order Paint 1981 Flareside 4x4

Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 PM
Junior User

EarlyCobra has a good reputation on FTE.EarlyCobra has a good reputation on FTE.EarlyCobra has a good reputation on FTE.
Special Order Paint 1981 Flareside 4x4

Thought some of you might enjoy this, it's my '81 Flareside 4x4 (302/C6).

It's a Special Order paint truck, according to the Marti Report one of 4 special paint trucks in XLT Trim. Undoubtedly the only one in this orange, which was not a factory color for Ford in '81.

And, believe it or not, that's all original paint. It has a black interior, which is in excellent condition. The truck was clearly kept garaged it's whole life.

Anyway, enjoy.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:07 PM
Elder User

Old Hickory is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Old Hickory is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A really nice looking truck!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:51 PM
Elder User

1985 Bronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Nice truck, what's it say on the doors?
Old 11-10-2015, 07:02 PM
Postmaster

Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Chris, this is a very interesting truck! It is definitely different than the regular freewheel design in that the front fenders, doors and cab corners have one continuous outline instead of each panel being boxed separately. Also the hood stripes and stripes around the side windows are absent. I seem to recall running across a neon green flareside with stripes like this but I dismissed it as an aftermarket job. I will have to see if I can dig it back up on google image search.

By the way do you happen to know if the stripes were a die cut panel or was it just applied from a roll at the factory? I noticed some variation particularly in the fender corner down by the turn signal lens... some have a square 90* corner there and some have a tight curved radius. Just curious if you knew how these were done, I have never seen one in person.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
I like it!
Old 11-10-2015, 08:10 PM
Postmaster

Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.Ford F834 has a very good reputation on FTE.

Here is the green truck. Obviously it is not stock with the blacked out grille, hood lettering etc., so who knows if it was special or just a custom paint job. It occurs to me that the stripe pattern on the orange truck may be the same as the one used to outline two-tone flaresides:

Old 11-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Junior User

EarlyCobra has a good reputation on FTE.EarlyCobra has a good reputation on FTE.EarlyCobra has a good reputation on FTE.
Hey guys -

The truck said "Palisade West Plaza" on the doors, which was the strip center that the original owner, who ordered the truck, ran. It was applied when the truck was new, and I figured it was cool "patina" to leave on there.

The stripes are original, but are not the "free wheeling" design. And to that point, it's not a free wheeling truck either - I've ordered the Marti report to verify. So those are just regular accent stripes, used to break it up.

They do have very nice, hard 90' corners at the edges of the stripes, not a tight bend - as if you might find from a "flexible roll" of striping.

That would be pretty neat if that green truck was originally painted that color
Old 11-10-2015, 10:45 PM
FTE Chapter Leader

Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.Gary Lewis has a spectacular reputation.
I see three types of Flareside stripes in the master parts catalog: 5, 6, & 15. It looks to me like the above trucks are Type 6.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:37 AM
Postmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyCobra View Post
They do have very nice, hard 90' corners at the edges of the stripes, not a tight bend - as if you might find from a "flexible roll" of striping.
So am I understanding this correctly that there is no joint or seam in the tape at the corners? i.e., the stripe is one continuous piece cut from a sheet?
Old 11-11-2015, 07:24 AM
Junior User

Yup, cut out as if from a single sheet - that's the way I've seen all of the ford panel stripes.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:40 AM

ctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputationctubutis has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford F834 View Post
Chris...

By the way do you happen to know if....
If you are talking to me, I have no idea.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:45 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant futureDiesel_Brad has a brilliant future
I like it, i like it a lot. I envy you south west guys with no rust