1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Locion of IVS

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:04 AM
clifford allen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locion of IVS

My truck.. 95 F350 7.3 is doing the same symptoms as in a thread about throttle pedal and IVS switch. Where is the IVS and what does it look like?
I am a relative newbie to the 7.3 and it is bone stock, except I did put a 6 position tuner on it. It did wonders on the 50 HP setting for running empty.
When the truck stutters ( lopes) the wait to start light flashes. I also have the light flashing on the lock out OD. I had Auto zone run codes and they were not able to get any. I have a different guy coming to try to read codes this sunday. Truck has 150,000 miles and is in excellent shape otherwise.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:34 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
It's on the pedal. It's the one that's a simple switch, with a two-wire connector. The typical symptoms of an IVS problem are that the truck won't rev up above idle, or it drops to idle, and won't rev up again until you release the pedal and press it again.

If the OD-Off light is flashing, there's a transmission code stored. AutoZone, et al cannot retrieve codes from our trucks. You need a device capable of reading the "Ford Enhanced" parameters.

WTS light flashing is another thing entirely. That typically means an interruption in main power to the PCM. Akin to you turning the key off and back on.

Of course, the FIRST thing to do is to take the tuner/chip (is it a programmer or a chip, BTW?) out of the picture. Don't just set it to stock, but remove it completely, and see if the problems persist.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:54 AM
clifford allen
New User
I had all these problems before I added the chip. I was hoping the chip might "fix" some of them.
I have had the dropping to idle and having to play with the pedal since I got the truck. It has just gotten more often.
I have a diesel mechanic bringing his scan tools over sunday. I may have to pull the chip, it was a pain putting in but I know how to get it out now, so it will be easier this time.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:57 AM
clifford allen
New User
The transmission seems good and strong, no shuddering or slippage noticeable. I have pulled 10 12,ooo lb loads of hay and tractors, but I don't know much about the Ford E4OD transmissions.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:03 PM
clifford allen
New User
The key switch is a little jacked up, you can remove the key with it running or even start it sometimes without the key. Maybe I need to switch it out 1st. Might be the answer to several little issues.
The truck is a 2 owner, me and the original buyer, it sat more than it was used. The rear tank had slime and gunk build up and the front tank had its share of goo in it also. I finally got the fuel system clean, the filter stays clean now and I can run either tank without any issues. I am going to change the O rings on the injectors this winter, as it set for so long, I figure the O-rings may be cracked, and put in new glow plugs to help with starting. The TS-6 chip did help with starting, it starts very quickly now compared to before, and the WTS light isn't on as long as before.( doesn't make sense to me). This engine is completely stock, doesn't even look like any nut or bolt has had a wrench on it. I plan on putting an innercooler on it and a few other goodies to "wake" it up more. As I posted before, I am new to these engines and read these posts to learn from you guys that have been there, done that. As a "newbie" the abbreviations are sometimes very confusing and it takes a while to figure out what it is being discussed.
The T-6 chip did wonders in the 50 HP mode for get up and go, I have yet to put a load behind it with the chip.
A few questions...
I need a gauge package for EGT...Boost...Fuel pressure..
What setup will be good? Where do I get fuel pressure?
I read the EGT needs to be under the manifold on drivers side, that I can do.
Boost pressure.. where do I get that? what is normal for standard stock turbo?
Limited budget, will have to do it in stages, as it is a farm truck ( toy) I always wanted. 4 door dually .Cow sales have to pay for this truck's upgrades and goodies along with tractor and baler payment. Have 2 other trucks to drive so down time isn't an issue.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:53 PM
clifford allen
New User
Truck does have an aftermarket Viper alarm and remote door lock key fob. ( key fob doesn't work) I probably need to remove entire system as I don't really like aftermarket systems like this.