3 Valve Spark Plugs / To Impact Or Not To Impact - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V10 (6.8l)
Reload this Page >

3 Valve Spark Plugs / To Impact Or Not To Impact

Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3 Valve Spark Plugs / To Impact Or Not To Impact

Old 02-04-2019, 04:29 PM
907born
New User
907born is starting off with a positive reputation.
Impact away ...carefully!!!

Originally Posted by OneTon350 View Post
I have an 07' 3 valve V-10 and I am getting ready to change the plugs
and coil packs. I should also mention I have 251,000 miles on them.
Yep, they are original. Been researching the removal and how they break
off. I am going to get the Lisle Extraction kit of course.

My question is after seeing some video's it appears that guys are having
better luck cracking the plugs loose and then using a 3/8" impact?
I would be soaking them with PB Blaster of course.

Any thoughts on this.

I know the idea of using an impact sounds nuts,
but one example is in the video below. He very carefully removes them
by hand but in the comments below he says that he has started using an
impact with good success.

Ford 3 valve spark plug removal 4.6 5.4 & 6.8.mp4 - YouTube
I used a 3 speed Milwaukee 18v cordless impact starting at the lowest setting to remove and change the plugs on my wife's 2007 expedition. Approximate mileage about 115000 at the time. The factory plugs came right out. Having said that I did have a complete fuel rail /injector cleaning done to remove carbon build up by a mechanic before I attempted to remove them, stopped them there because they wanted over $700 extra to change plugs.Mostly used the impact to create vibration to loosen not torque.So I say if careful common sense is followed it is the right tool for the job.

Old 02-04-2019, 04:40 PM
Krewat
Super Moderator
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
WELCOME to FTE 907born

Old 02-04-2019, 06:12 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
I used a 350lb impact with 80lb torque stick. Basically just as others said to apply shock and not rotate the plug out.

Ditto on all the decarbon presteps and pentetrating magic oils.

my local quick lube chain offered a drip solvent cleaning that was hung on the hood and the drip was adjusted to smoke up the exhuast with out cutting the motor off...same fecarbon principle

Old 02-04-2019, 09:41 PM
907born
New User
Impact away ...carefully!!!

Thanks for the welcome I have to look that up [Penetrating solvent/oil] never seen that set up i try to use kroil for most things like that but its not a pleasant odor to me. Lol more of a 2 cycle blue and Avoid gas guy.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 AM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Is this an issue because they're 251k originals? When I changed mine (2008 year model) I had no issues at all just taking them out by hand as one normally would. Though I have no idea how long they were in there, they most likely weren't originals.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:14 PM
907born
New User
Hey John, no I didn't have any knowledge of how or why plugs would come out if they broke so I didn't want to twist them off by applying to much torque. Due to me having 5 reconstructive surgeries in the past 5 years, my truck just 1 week earlier being totalled by a red light runner, and not being able to work, and the expedition our only vehicle to shuttle wife and kids to school and work. I tried to use everything I could to make sure the plugs came out easily. I'm a plumber not a mechanic so I'm not saying it is an accepted practice but it did work well for me, then again they might have spun out with a wrench.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:30 AM
Bently_Coop
Post Fiend
Bently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputationBently_Coop has a superb reputation
Fordtechmakuloco did make a video regarding using the impact on a hot Engine.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:19 PM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
ashleyroachclip is starting off with a positive reputation.
Using a 1/4 " drive battery powered impact is very useful with a 3/8 adapter , in removing plugs .

Old 02-12-2019, 04:58 PM
eddienelson
Senior User
eddienelson is starting off with a positive reputation.
Im still waiting to see a 250k mile spark plug.... Heck show me a 150k mile plug....

Old 02-13-2019, 05:00 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by eddienelson View Post
Im still waiting to see a 250k mile spark plug.... Heck show me a 150k mile plug....
Read & view this thread: High Mileage Plugs

Might be more mileage than you asked about but interesting none the less.

Also here are some SP-479's from my '03 E250 with 5.4 V8, about 226 K miles when removed:

Old 02-13-2019, 03:36 PM
super 6.8
Elder User
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
That picture makes me feel better about not changing mine yet. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2019, 04:19 AM
Im50fast
Nice guy!
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Eddienelson and super 6.8

i changed my originals at nearly 300,000 and documented it here on FTE. Confirmed originals.
The gaps were over 1/8.

I did it because of some minor but persisten misfiring. It ran a little bit smoother with new plugs but still had the misfire. Turns out the misfire was due to a tiny hole in the head combustion chamber.

Everything is documented with pics here on FTE.

Delgriffith wins the award for highest spark plug wear on FTE, but I still hold a firm 2nd place.

I removed mine carefully with a 1/4 Dewalt impact after spraying some WD40 in each spark plug well beforehand. And I (literally) prayed, and then used light throttle on the Dewalt.
Easy peasy.
(edit: Woops mine is a 2v v10... still applies though. )

Last edited by Im50fast; 02-20-2019 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Woops mine is a 2v v10... still applies though.
Old 02-21-2019, 06:11 PM
'01V10
Junior User
'01V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Would cracking them loose and then soaking with some sort of gun cleaning solvent that is specifically designed to break up carbon be beneficial? I have a 2V, so I'm more concerned with plugs spontaneously coming out, rather than refusing to. Just an idea that came to mind.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:08 AM
Diamnd1
Elder User
Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Diamnd1 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by '01V10 View Post
Would cracking them loose and then soaking with some sort of gun cleaning solvent that is specifically designed to break up carbon be beneficial? I have a 2V, so I'm more concerned with plugs spontaneously coming out, rather than refusing to. Just an idea that came to mind.
Not necessarily. 2V does not have the added length that extends past the threads into the combustion chamber where the carbon buildup occurs. I can't say it won't be of some benefit though.

As far as spitting plugs, that was mostly due to the lack of threads in the head on the early '99 and '00 years. The 'PI' heads got more threads, however, Fords recommended torque specs were too low for the plugs. Thus creating the opportunity for the plugs to wiggle loose and eject. Concensus here is a torque value of ~25ft-lbs is sufficient to significantly reduce the possibility of plug ejection. Just be sure to put anti-seize on the threads.

Old 02-22-2019, 06:12 PM
'01V10
Junior User
'01V10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Diamnd1 View Post
Not necessarily. 2V does not have the added length that extends past the threads into the combustion chamber where the carbon buildup occurs. I can't say it won't be of some benefit though.

As far as spitting plugs, that was mostly due to the lack of threads in the head on the early '99 and '00 years. The 'PI' heads got more threads, however, Fords recommended torque specs were too low for the plugs. Thus creating the opportunity for the plugs to wiggle loose and eject. Concensus here is a torque value of ~25ft-lbs is sufficient to significantly reduce the possibility of plug ejection. Just be sure to put anti-seize on the threads.
I didn't mean on mine. I meant for the OP

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 3 Valve Spark Plugs / To Impact Or Not To Impact

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.