1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiring under cab, 2015 f350

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 05:42 AM
Ridge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring under cab, 2015 f350

I just bought a used 2015 F350 crewcab XLT, I as under it looking to see where running boards would attach and seen it looks like a 2 wire pigtail with a female connector close to that area where mounts would be, it is on both sides in same place, is that for lighted running boards or power running boards?

Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 AM
Duwop
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Auto retractable boards

Old 11-03-2015, 06:10 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your description sounds correct. Connectors are on the outsides of the frame rails. towards the rear of the cab, about 6 inches forward of the rear cab mounts. There are small waterproof plugs in the ends.

Mine were live, so I wired them up to LED running board lights. They are on the same circuit with the cab lights. They power up whenever the door is opened, or unlocked with the key fob. They dim to off when the cabin lights time out as well.

These connectors are part of a lighting circuit. I don't believe they'd provide enough power for running board motors. You could use them to trigger a relay to run retractable running boards; to open or close them, but you wouldn't be able to directly power the running board motors off of them - the lamp dimming function would mess up the operation of the motors

Last edited by RightWingNutJob; 11-03-2015 at 06:22 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Ridge
New User
That's good, I am glad they power up when opening the door, now I have a reason to add lighted boards or just lights under cab

Old 11-03-2015, 10:15 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
Your description sounds correct. Connectors are on the outsides of the frame rails. towards the rear of the cab, about 6 inches forward of the rear cab mounts. There are small waterproof plugs in the ends.

Mine were live, so I wired them up to LED running board lights. They are on the same circuit with the cab lights. They power up whenever the door is opened, or unlocked with the key fob. They dim to off when the cabin lights time out as well.

These connectors are part of a lighting circuit. I don't believe they'd provide enough power for running board motors. You could use them to trigger a relay to run retractable running boards; to open or close them, but you wouldn't be able to directly power the running board motors off of them - the lamp dimming function would mess up the operation of the motors
But the LED running board add on lights stay on when the headlights come on at dark, correct?

Old 11-03-2015, 10:46 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
No they don't operate with the headlights. If they're wired into the pre-existing connectors under the cab - they go on & off with the dome lights.

To have side running lights that operate with the headlights, you'd have to splice into a wire for one of the parking lights, or tap into the trailer lights circuit on the towing wiring harness

Last edited by RightWingNutJob; 11-03-2015 at 10:48 AM. Reason: sp
Old 11-03-2015, 10:54 AM
auburngrad
Senior User
Does anyone know what to call the connection or where to buy a plug to connect to those wires. Looking at adding lights that are not from ford down there and would like to set up as plug and play.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:08 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
Originally Posted by auburngrad
Does anyone know what to call the connection or where to buy a plug to connect to those wires. Looking at adding lights that are not from ford down there and would like to set up as plug and play.
Amazon sells a Ford compatible speaker connector that fits:
Amazon.com: Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Metra 72-5600 Speaker Adapter for Select Ford Vehicles: Car Electronics

I cut off the other ends and soldered the wires into my new harness. I shrink-tubed it all, and added lots of Di-electric grease inside the connector. So far no issues with corrosion.

Finally got it to let me add pictures. (Cell phones are not good for low-light shots.)

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob
No they don't operate with the headlights. If they're wired into the pre-existing connectors under the cab - they go on & off with the dome lights.

To have side running lights that operate with the headlights, you'd have to splice into a wire for one of the parking lights, or tap into the trailer lights circuit on the towing wiring harness

Another question then. What color was the wire as I am adding inside foot well lights on D & P side and want them to work with the dome lights like your setup. Looking for the wiring inside the cab if possible. Thanks.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:25 AM
RightWingNutJob
Elder User
I don't have a wiring diagram for the cab. ("Juststrokin" may be able to look it up?) You could hook up your foot well lights to the same line as the running board lights - you'd just have to feed it back into the cab.

Using those same connectors, I also have it wired up for my Bed Lights. I can click my key fob, and light up my bed for 30 seconds, or it stays on as long as the door is open. It's also tied into an upfitter switch (with some blocking diodes), so I can turn on the bed lights separately from cab lights - unfortunately, I need to keep the key in the ignition to provide power to the upfitters.

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Lonewolftx
Posting Guru
No Running Board Lightd

Unfortunately the 2016 LKR's don't come with the running board lights, like my '06 did. Hence the need for wire color.