Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > 6.2L V8
Reload this Page >

Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2

Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2

 
  #1  
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 AM
flyingtexan's Avatar
flyingtexan
flyingtexan is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 142
flyingtexan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2

2016 6.2 with about 750 miles on it, I'm noticing a hesitation under part to full throttle acceleration, feels like cylinders are cutting out or something. No lights or codes, seems to shift strange on occasion as well. My first experience with the 6.2 so not sure how un-normal this is.
 
  #2  
Old 11-02-2015, 04:59 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Chuck's First Ford is offline
Postmaster
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: very South Texas
Posts: 4,011
Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.Chuck's First Ford has a very good reputation on FTE.
NOT normal.. Call and make an appointment with your dealer... get it fixed.

my 2012, with 138,000 is smooth as silk... should so yours.
 
  #3  
Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 AM
RightWingNutJob's Avatar
RightWingNutJob
RightWingNutJob is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 576
RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.
I think you're encountering the 6.2L engine/tranny "learning curve." Your description sounds similar to what I experienced when my truck was brand new....but can't be sure based on a description on message board, so having the truck checked out is your call.

When my truck had under 1K miles on it, it would act weird when I was rolling at a moderate speed and then stepped hard on the gas to accelerate into traffic, etc.. It was great when accelerating from a stop light if you stomped on the gas - but it couldn't seem to make up its mind if you were already rolling. The transmission hesitated before it downshifted (usually down to 2nd), the engine made more noise than power for about a second-and-a-half or so, and then it would finally decide to get moving.

I was concerned about it, but since nothing else seemed to be wrong; it wasn't throwing any lights or fault codes; and based on what other 6.2 owners had written about their brand new trucks having a learning curve, I decided to wait to see if things improved.

And they did,.. By the time the odometer had rolled over ~2K, my concern was gone. I think it was a learning affair for both the truck's computer/transmission trying to figure out my driving style, and me figuring out the vehicle too. I'm used to my 6.2 now and intuitively drive it to get the most out it. (And now that gas is < $2/gal I've been having fun putting my foot into it!)
 

Last edited by RightWingNutJob; 11-02-2015 at 08:19 AM. Reason: sp
  #4  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Good listener
Good listener is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 357
Good listener is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Good listener is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It may not be normal depending on the severity. I had some hesitation with my 2015 for a couple of thousand miles. I also had a surging cruise control issue. Both went away on their own and now the truck accelerates and cruises very smoothly at 6000 miles.
 
  #5  
Old 11-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Big Vic
Big Vic is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 122
Big Vic is starting off with a positive reputation.
My 2014 F-250 did this for about 1500 miles. No hesitation now. I also think it has to do with the computer during break in period.
 
  #6  
Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 PM
flyingtexan's Avatar
flyingtexan
flyingtexan is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 142
flyingtexan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob View Post
I think you're encountering the 6.2L engine/tranny "learning curve." Your description sounds similar to what I experienced when my truck was brand new....but can't be sure based on a description on message board, so having the truck checked out is your call.

When my truck had under 1K miles on it, it would act weird when I was rolling at a moderate speed and then stepped hard on the gas to accelerate into traffic, etc.. It was great when accelerating from a stop light if you stomped on the gas - but it couldn't seem to make up its mind if you were already rolling. The transmission hesitated before it downshifted (usually down to 2nd), the engine made more noise than power for about a second-and-a-half or so, and then it would finally decide to get moving.





I was concerned about it, but since nothing else seemed to be wrong; it wasn't throwing any lights or fault codes; and based on what other 6.2 owners had written about their brand new trucks having a learning curve, I decided to wait to see if things improved.

And they did,.. By the time the odometer had rolled over ~2K, my concern was gone. I think it was a learning affair for both the truck's computer/transmission trying to figure out my driving style, and me figuring out the vehicle too. I'm used to my 6.2 now and intuitively drive it to get the most out it. (And now that gas is < $2/gal I've been having fun putting my foot into it!)
That is EXACTLY what I'm experiencing! I will keep an eye on it as the miles roll up.
 
  #7  
Old 11-03-2015, 08:11 AM
RightWingNutJob's Avatar
RightWingNutJob
RightWingNutJob is offline
Elder User
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: CT
Posts: 576
RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.RightWingNutJob has a good reputation on FTE.
Glad to help.

First time it happened, I was heart sick, I thought I had bad transmission on a brand new truck. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it, and changed my driving to a bit to avoid it. So, when I needed to get moving quicker, I didn't stomp on the gas quite so hard...so it only kicked down to like 3rd...and found that I still had more than adequate power and rpm headroom to accelerate and merge on the highway.
 
  #8  
Old 11-03-2015, 12:36 PM
flyingtexan's Avatar
flyingtexan
flyingtexan is offline
Senior User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 142
flyingtexan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RightWingNutJob View Post
Glad to help.

First time it happened, I was heart sick, I thought I had bad transmission on a brand new truck. Took me a while to figure out what was causing it, and changed my driving to a bit to avoid it. So, when I needed to get moving quicker, I didn't stomp on the gas quite so hard...so it only kicked down to like 3rd...and found that I still had more than adequate power and rpm headroom to accelerate and merge on the highway.

Yep, me too. I have owned nothing but Ford trucks and have never had a single problem with any of them. The feeling this weird transmission stuff, I was like seriously? What has happened to Ford. I will monitor all this and hopefully it will learn and get over it. Normally it drives great putting around town and like you said off the line at a stop light. I only see it when I'm heavy in the gas merging onto a freeway.


Thanks again.
 
  #9  
Old 11-04-2015, 02:43 AM
Unclemark
Unclemark is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 237
Unclemark is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mine was weird at first as well.... Sometimes it couldnt get out of its own way for nuthing. If it had not been for experiencing the same growing pains with my ecoboost 150 I would have never bought my 250 because it was a total turd for the first thousand miles or so and acted like it had issues at times.... 4400 miles on it now and its great. On a side note I know all this computer controled stuff is suposed to be the bees knees but I sure do miss throttle cables, old school transmissions and what not lol
 
  #10  
Old 11-04-2015, 10:08 AM
airm4n
airm4n is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 397
airm4n is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Mine seemed to me when I got to be as best as I can guess like a 2 stroke motor. You'd punch it to get into traffic quick and it was almost like it was taking a big breath then you were off and at 5000 rpm. That was with 3.73 gearing on my 2011. In the last week or two I had it regeared to 4.30 and I had to learn again. It seems very much smoother than before and even some of the odd shifting I had gotten used to seems to have disappeared now. I did find that 5 star tunes helped a lot on 3.73 gearing along with that hesitation/surging like a 2 stroke but on 4.30 I am now running stock again as it seems to shift and run the best there.
 
  #11  
Old 11-04-2015, 10:10 AM
airm4n
airm4n is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 397
airm4n is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'll add that hesitation/surge is in my opinion now non-existent as best as i can tell with this new gearing in.
 
  #12  
Old 11-04-2015, 07:10 PM
SWV10's Avatar
SWV10
SWV10 is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 341
SWV10 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My '16 has been perfect but I'm not in it everyday so the learning curve may not be noticeable.
Presently right at 2K Miles, does run better than brand new though, the 4.30 gears are nice.
 
  #13  
Old 11-04-2015, 10:17 PM
Unclemark
Unclemark is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 237
Unclemark is starting off with a positive reputation.
I wish i had got the 4.30 gears in mine....
 
  #14  
Old 11-05-2015, 07:57 AM
Good listener
Good listener is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 357
Good listener is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Good listener is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by Unclemark View Post
I wish i had got the 4.30 gears in mine....
You're not the only one. For some reason most of the in-stock trucks the dealers order have 3:73s. I found out the folks doing the ordering don't know much about trucks. You really have to order to get anything close to what you want.
 
  #15  
Old 11-05-2015, 08:31 AM
Unclemark
Unclemark is offline
Senior User
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 237
Unclemark is starting off with a positive reputation.
The dealer here where I live only knows how to orded two types of super duty.... Either its a base gas burner xl or its a super duper loaded out diesel model. No xlt models ever show up on their lot.... Now on the other hand 30min down the road they have an assortment of trim levels on hand thats why I made the drive buy from them.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hesitation, surge, etc. 2016 F250 6.2


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: