1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ridiculously slow fill at the pump 05 F250 SD

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 06:53 PM
66 bronco roadster
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ridiculously slow fill at the pump 05 F250 SD

Ok back at this problem. When I say she wont fill... I mean I can't get more then $0.10 -$0.20 for gas in before the pump shuts off! I'v read all the tips and tricks of holding the gun upside down, tilting the gun up, changing different guns or gas stations, and even pulling the carbon canister filter blowing it out with compressed air... not one of them worked! Yes air passes through the canister but at a restrictive rate.

The only way I can get this truck to fill like every other car I'v filled is to unplug the vent line to carbon canister filter. Then I fill the F250 as fast as I want. Obviously the problem is in the carbon canister (plug up media or faulting canister solenoid) but what is the fix other then buying a new one???

Anyone of you guys had to deal with this one?

Thanks Jeff

Old 10-27-2015, 09:10 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
check the hoses for the vents after the canister...

around here .. spiders and mud dobbers can make nest in the of hose... blocking air to exit system.

a couple of years ago. Mazda did a recall for this issue in there cars.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:33 PM
66 bronco roadster
Mountain Pass
Yes I blew it out with compressed air the whole canister filter system from the inlet to the exhaust outlet vent tub. Then I blew out canister from the outlet vent tub so I had air coming out the inlet tub. Air was passing either direction through the carbon canister system but was restricted. I can't tell if restricted air flow is normal or if the carbon is loaded with crap or canister solenoid is stuck partly closed? Just doesn't make sense. Also why Ford didn't vent the filler tube better so the air pass more freely then trying to push through the carbon canister system?

Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
check the hoses for the vents after the canister...

around here .. spiders and mud dobbers can make nest in the of hose... blocking air to exit system.

a couple of years ago. Mazda did a recall for this issue in there cars.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:53 PM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
is there a vent hose that runs up the side of the filler neck?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:14 PM
66 bronco roadster
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
is there a vent hose that runs up the side of the filler neck?
Yes it appears that there is a small vent line. Without measuring it I would guess 3/16" or so... a far cry from the older ford trucks that used 3/8" vent lines. What's the point of not adequately venting the filler neck?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:38 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Just a thought - inlets and outlets are usually directional. Is it possible the inlet and outlet tubes have been swapped?

Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 PM
66 bronco roadster
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by wrvond
Just a thought - inlets and outlets are usually directional. Is it possible the inlet and outlet tubes have been swapped?
On this setup the inlet is on the driver's side while the outlet is on the pass side. The whole canister assemblely is so large it spans between the frame rails just above the spare tire. The way ford set this one up it would be impossible to swap the two lines.

Thanks for the idea though!

Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 PM
Wild Pete
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's dissapointing fix

The truck is an '08 F350 V10. It has worked in a dirty environment prior to my acquisition. At 67,000 miles the charcoal canister was replaced and the Ford engineered upgrade was installed. It amounted to running a vent from the canister in the back of the truck all the way forward to the engine compartment. I was on a trip to ND driving in a rainstorm all the way from Stockton CA to Idaho Falls ID. I fueled in Rexberg ID without problems and drove on to Bozeman MT the next morning I attempted to top off the tank and it wouldn't fill. Blaming the pumps, I drove on to Billings to fuel there.. Again there was a problem. Had to drive up on blocks on the drivers side'
Bottom line, I wasn't able to fill with any speed for almost 2 weeks. The weather was dry the whole time. Drove back without issue. Searched the internet for answers and came to the conclusion the canister had to be replaced. When the canister was removed there was dirt and dried dust that once was wet, on the inside of the vent that runs to the engine compartment. The 90 degree hose that attaches the vent hose to the canister was very loose and could easily leak dust and water into the canister. A hose clamp and tape were installed to seal the junction.
The vent hose end in the engine compartment has a very coarse grate over the end. With the amount of dust that this vehicle runs in, I decided to ad an air filter over the grate. I installed a filter for a Tuchumsa small engine, Napa part #7-08325 and to create a reasonable fit, a rubber bushing was needed, Napa part #735-5004. A bit of silicone sealant was required to hold the filter in place.
Hopefully these refinements will provide more than 33,000 miles of service
I hope this helps

Old 01-09-2016, 11:30 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am not going to guarantee this will fix your problem but after replacing the charcoal canister assembly on my 06 I disassembled this valve on the old one and found a screen that was completely plugged with dirt and wasn't able to blow out when installed in the truck.

And with the new assembly I ran a hose from the vent to the fuel door area to reduce the amount of dirt it was exposed to.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:17 AM
HearseDriver
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I had the same problem as Wild Pete & twigs. My 06 was originally owned by a farmer and my carbon canister, evap hoses & air box for the canister were plugged with dirt. I dropped the canister and back blew the canister hoses & air box or filter. I got a LOT of dust & dirt out of them - it made a cloud when I did this. Put everything back and while there was definitely an improvement it was still difficult to fill. I dropped the canister, took it to work taped one air hose & air nozzle to both the canister and air box and let it run for my full 8 hour shift. The plant had ZERO processes going on that day and the Atlas Copco screw drive air compressor ran almost continuously that day. After reinstalling the carbon canister though I'm now able to lock the fuel fill nozzle, walk away and my tank will fill until it's topped off.