Hope I didn't trash my heads...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Hope I didn't trash my heads...

So, I'll try to keep this short. Bought an '06 expedition with 77k on the clock and a CEL for over retard on bank 1. Replaced VCT solenoids and cam sensors and code never came back, though engine had a slight tick. Drove it for 3 weeks with no issues.

last week started it and it was running horrible, CEL is on with 02 sensor over rich code. Looked under the hood and saw giant 2" hole in the passenger side valve cover right above the cam phaser...

Tore the engine down and found that both tensioners had blown seals, passenger guide had disintegrated, and passenger guide was broken in half.

Couldn't find a way to verify if the chain had jumped timing, though I was able to rotate the engine enough times to get the two colored links within one tooth of the timing marks on both sides, with the marks on the chains on the inboard side of the phasers which tells me the timing didn't jump, right? If needed I can post pics of the timing marks tonight when I get home.

I ordered a complete timing kit with chains, tensioners, guides, phasers, crank sprocket, oil pump, and water pump.

now where I get scared. I followed a write up for tear down and reinstall of timing components with pics from the Ford manual for order of dis-assembly and reassembly. Nowhere did it mention locking the cams before taking the chains off...so I didn't. Drivers side phaser didn't move, but passenger side spun a few teeth when the chain came off. Did I trash the valves by not locking the cams down?

Terrified I'm going to reassemble this thing and find it won't run.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:10 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
There should be a procedure to align the cams in that same service manual. I believe AutoZone etc loans out cam locks, not too sure if those are engine specific or kinda generic but can't really replace all the timing parts without one.

Hopefully someone here can guide you through cam alignment and verification. Maybe check YouTube too:

Old 10-27-2015, 08:05 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
I've watched that video several times. That is where he mentions locking the cams before removing the chains.

Seems to me that aligning the cams will be a non-issue since the colored links will dictate where the cams need to be to line up, right? The cam only moved a few teeth, so I am assuming it will align fine when I put the new chain on, I'm just concerned about damaging the valves when it unloaded once the chain was removed...

Old 10-28-2015, 09:00 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Nothing eh? Seems like even though this is a common issue on the 3v 5.4s there just isn't much info out there. I guess most people don't tackle this themselves...

Old 10-29-2015, 11:13 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Geeze, seems like the only area I get replies in around here these days is the SuperDuty forums...

Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I've been reading these engine forums since 2010 or so and have almost never seen an issue like this under discussion here. Like you say either most don't DIY or its not too common a problem.

Sometimes even FTE doesn't have the answer.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:36 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Originally Posted by JWA
Sometimes even FTE doesn't have the answer.
No way, lol, FTE has always delivered for me!

For real though, timing component failure on the 3v 5.4 is WAY too common. A google search shows tons of returns on other forums, I was just hoping there would be someone with experience here that could chime in since I've never had to register anywhere else to answer my questions.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:40 AM
akorcovelos
Elder User
so to tie this off, no damage to heads. Truck is back together and running like new. If the phasers move when you pull the chains it's ok as long as the crank is in the proper position.