Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 11:28 PM
aslowdodge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to replace doorspeakers and wiring

I posted this elsewhere and realized this might be a better place
I have a 2007 Lariat Screw

I've read that some people are replacing their door speakers like I want to do and reporting much better sound. My question is now that I realize I have the audiophile system, it is still worth swapping these speakers and will it be better sound?
I bought 2 pairs of Pioneer TS-A6886R 6x8's.

I had a 98 Lexus GS 400 and I upgraded the stereo with an head unit, amp and all the door speakers and disconnected the subwoofer and actually liked how it sounded. I guess the upgraded speakers were so much better that the subwoofer wasn't needed.

So Should I try to bypass the factory tweeters and subwoofer and run everything into these newer supposedly better 4 way speakers in the door? Or just plug in the new speakers and let tem act as midranges?

BTW Do I need to remove entire door panel or just grills?
It seems pretty straight forward for wiring. Anything I should know?

Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
IMHO automotive-type sound systems especially OEM new install are integrated systems and tend to not work well with aftermarket components. Upgrading or changing just one part of the OEM can be a bit tricky too but more importantly not be quite the hoped for improvement.

Were it me I'd consider changing the whole system and upgrading wiring to agree with the new system's manufacturers suggestions. Again though what's hoped for might not be the result because automotive sound is a very difficult thing to tailor to your specific needs/wants.

Don't mean to discourage you but before you cut away the OEM speaker wiring use adapters from Crutchfield as a bridge between your new Pioneer and Ford factory wiring connectors---makes it easy to replace the Ford speakers if you want.

Door panels do tend to be completely removed----most grilles are molded into them so they're not removable separately.

HTH