1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2002 7.3L glow plugs/injectors and else?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 04:24 PM
comsupany
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I may have to replace injectors. What other parts and procedures should I consider at the same and how hard would it be--i mean I'm not an expert mechanic but reasonably handy, are they recommended for a novice?

I like the idea of pulling the valve covers, replacing injectors, glow plugs and wiring harness.

Old 10-24-2015, 08:01 PM
Absolute
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Id check all the wiring under there. And for the price of a new harness set, I'd just put a new on in there. I'd do the injector O rings too, I assume your doing that with the injectors. Also check the cups to make sure there not leaking or damaged. That's the only one I see you having trouble with since you need a special tool, and careful careful careful, clean clean clean. Can't say that enough. Not sure of the age of your glow plugs, I'd do them too. Make sure the torque is right on those injectors.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
If you haven't pulled injectors before, I'd highly recommend getting help from someone who has

I had help replacing the injector orings (your new ones should come with new orings), which requires pulling the injectors, installing the new orings, and replacing them.

I was VERY GLAD I chose to get help

There are quite a few things and tricks you are likely not yet aware of. It can be coached, but the learning curve can be a challenge, as can handling all the items by yourself.

The extra set of hands alone....worth gold

This is especially true of the passenger side. LOTS of things to be removed there

Where are you located? You can put this in your profile and we'll stop asking

Old 10-26-2015, 01:31 PM
comsupany
Senior User

Originally Posted by ExPACamper
If you haven't pulled injectors before, I'd highly recommend getting help from someone who has

I had help replacing the injector orings (your new ones should come with new orings), which requires pulling the injectors, installing the new orings, and replacing them.

I was VERY GLAD I chose to get help

There are quite a few things and tricks you are likely not yet aware of. It can be coached, but the learning curve can be a challenge, as can handling all the items by yourself.

The extra set of hands alone....worth gold

This is especially true of the passenger side. LOTS of things to be removed there

Where are you located? You can put this in your profile and we'll stop asking
I'm in Roswell, NM. I wasn't too excited about pulling the valve covers. After doing the drivers side I was pleasantly surprised. I'm the kind of guy that likes working in a shop, not in a field and not having to put everything away after an afternoon of working on the truck. Would rather pull the garage door down and go home. Not an option for me right now. On the passenger side, there are a couple of things in the way that bother me--not sure if they have to be removed or not. The AC pump at the front and a shiny metal box toward the back. What I'm hoping is I can get it running then address the injectors seperately. I'd like to clean up the oil on the top of the engine and replace "all of it while i'm in there" like the wiring harness, glow plugs, injectors, o-rings, cups and anything else.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:51 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by comsupany
I'm in Roswell, NM. I wasn't too excited about pulling the valve covers. After doing the drivers side I was pleasantly surprised. I'm the kind of guy that likes working in a shop, not in a field and not having to put everything away after an afternoon of working on the truck. Would rather pull the garage door down and go home. Not an option for me right now. On the passenger side, there are a couple of things in the way that bother me--not sure if they have to be removed or not. The AC pump at the front and a shiny metal box toward the back. What I'm hoping is I can get it running then address the injectors seperately. I'd like to clean up the oil on the top of the engine and replace "all of it while i'm in there" like the wiring harness, glow plugs, injectors, o-rings, cups and anything else.
Honestly, pulling injectors outside is...not the best idea. Dust, debris, rain, etc...and what happens if you get so far and need to wait for a part? Then it is open to the mercy of the elements, even with tarps

Can you find a buddy with a truck and trailer to pull you out of the mud and get it home?

Injectors are NOT CHEAP!!! Any of this work you are going to do, you want it to be "right" not rushed or slipshod.

Checking the UVCH (google these if you're not sure about them) and even replacing them and your glow plugs out in the field (weather permitting) isn't crazy, just be careful

Pulling injectors, 'nother story

About the empty oil filter. If you think it's a problem, spin it off. catch any oil loss, fill the filter to within about 1" from top (you will be tilting it, much more will just run out).

It's level will drop in a second or two after putting some in as it makes its way through the element. You'll be surprised how much it holds.

Reinstall the filter, dispose of the lost oil (not worth the chance for a few dollars), and top off from the oil fill spout, guided by the dipstick level. Then that part is ruled out after the first few mins of cranks Not continuous, but you know that hurts a starter.

This is the "get it home" part.

Engine starting only when warm is a tell-tale sign of worn injectors, as others have mentioned. You can "cheat" a bit with a 5w-30w synthetic oil. which is thinner to start- similar to preheated oil.

I'm not the injector expert, but you've heard from some of them. What they've recommended agrees with what I've learned and read, and now you are learning and reading

But at this point, if it were my truck, I'd even call my...ahem...Chevy buddies to come pull and trailer me

Probably 20 of them would show up by the time they called all their buddies to brag about going to tow a Ford!

Get it home, get it fixed the right way, Git 'er Done!

Old 10-26-2015, 02:12 PM
comsupany
Senior User

But at this point, if it were my truck, I'd even call my...ahem...Chevy buddies to come pull and trailer me

Probably 20 of them would show up by the time they called all their buddies to brag about going to tow a Ford!

Get it home, get it fixed the right way, Git 'er Done!

hilarious and a absolutely good point! Time to get out my tape measure. Don't even know if this will fit in my garage.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:42 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the HPOP reservoir stays full, there's probably no reason to worry about pulling the oil filter to see if there's oil in it. If you're going to fill an oil filter, it should be filled via the small holes around the perimeter, not the large center hole. Anything that goes in the center hole is sent, unfiltered, to the engine. I no longer fill oil filters when doing an oil change; it takes very little time for the oil pump to fill it.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:40 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
hilarious and a absolutely good point! Time to get out my tape measure. Don't even know if this will fit in my garage.
You did say Roswell, right? Just use a shrink ray. Hear they have them laying all around out there- if you know where to look

Couldn't resist

Good luck. You won't regret having it at home an hopefully in the garage

Old 10-26-2015, 05:25 PM
comsupany
Senior User

You did say Roswell, right? Just use a shrink ray. Hear they have them laying all around out there- if you know where to look

Couldn't resist

Good luck. You won't regret having it at home an hopefully in the garage
Out here the qualification for operating a shrink ray are the same for being able to troubleshoot a Ford--I haven't passed the test yet!

Old 10-26-2015, 05:42 PM
ExPACamper
Post Fiend
Out here the qualification for operating a shrink ray are the same for being able to troubleshoot a Ford--I haven't passed the test yet!
LOL. Then you just need a garage that is "Bigger on the inside"

Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Be sure to check the fuel line where it goes thru a clamp on the passenger side- the clamp can rub a hole in the line.
It'd be a great time to install an oil line crossover line (HPX) and an FRX fuel line kit from RiffRaff Ford - 99-03 Super Duty 7.3L - Fuel System & Related - Regulated Return System - Riffraff Diesel Performance
Stainless Steel HPX for Ford 7.3L 99-03
These may help keep the new injectors happy longer!

Old 10-26-2015, 11:54 PM
comsupany
Senior User

I'd like to do this right. With what happened (replaced heater) I think I can get this thing going. Is it ok to use the truck with some bad injectors? I'd like to save a little before I take the plunge. Just wanted to make sure I don't make things worse. The driving I plan is a handful of trips to the lumber yard 4 miles round trip and a handful of trips to the dirt yard 15 miles round trip. Might take it to a diesel mechanic 40 miles away too. what do you think?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:20 AM
riley431
Junior User
Just some input on what I have researched and read here as I am looking to do injectors soon. I will do sticks, cover gasket, valve cover updated wiring harness, glow plugs, possible new cups, and updated HPOP.

Old 10-27-2015, 03:55 PM
comsupany
Senior User

Originally Posted by riley431
Just some input on what I have researched and read here as I am looking to do injectors soon. I will do sticks, cover gasket, valve cover updated wiring harness, glow plugs, possible new cups, and updated HPOP.
Seen several references to "sticks" I'm guessing that's injectors?

Also you going with OEM (factory spec) injectors. Chosen a brand yet?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:02 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Sticks=Injectors

You won't hurt anything driving the truck with worn injectors. It is just a pain to start as you have found out.

The only NEW injectors you can get are from Alliant. Nobody else makes them. Different shops sell them, but NEW means Alliant no matter who you buy from.

Quick Reply: 2002 7.3L glow plugs/injectors and else?