Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Looking for pictures

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:07 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by dtgl90vt
Took me a little bit to get to this. Pulled a tensioner out of another vehicle first then got caught up in some other stuff, but here they are.

Thanks again,
Devin
I wish I could be that busy getting things done!

I had forgotten that my 87 6.9L is the next generation (Eighth= 1987-91). The interior was completely redesigned for 1987 so some things under the dash will be (slightly) different. Don't know if the hood latch will be.

ie: My hood release cable is a wide lever on a hinge and mounted about where the holes are on your door frame just above the P-Brake pedal in your photo. The mechanism is behind an interior panel so I can't see what's behind it. Your hood release cable might go to the same approximate location and I doubt if it's supposed to be over the top of the wiring harness but I'm sure you know that already.

I just looked at mine and the steel frame or housing over the pedal assembly looks approximately the same. The metal shielded cable from the other end of the P-Brake pedal goes straight down through the floor. Mine is clean galvanized sheathing and fortunately I don't have rust in this Calif. truck. Yours is showing a lot of rust so if you intend to use it I would take the whole assembly off to service it (clean paint and lubricate), disconnect the cable from the P-brake pedal as shown in the manuals (I know you have the two most important shop manuals) and you can lube it from there or remove the whole cable back to the adjuster and service it.

The threaded tube thing: I went out and looked under the dash on mine with a bright light and I didn't see anything like that. Are you sure that red 'wire' part is not actually a cable sheath for some kind of control cable? The threaded end certainly looks like a switch or cable control mount. I see that the 'wire' part has some white letters and possibly numbers on it which would not be typical for a wire. It might be a part number. However, I vaguely remember seeing some kind of switch like that before (electric) maybe for marine applications - I don't recall. I assume it goes through the fire wall so you may have to locate it on the other side and see where it goes.

I hope someone else shows up to help solve this scary part mystery. If given the number on it, I personally would actually take the time to search for that part online (I'm good at finding obscure things on the web).

I know what rust in vehicles is all about, I grew up where roads were salted in the winter. It's just routine to deal with it in nearly half of the USA. Doesn't scare me away from a nice older vehicle.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:51 PM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Looks like the end of a PTO control cable! That was one of my first guesses.

Take a look:

CABLE CONTROLS

and like this one which doesn't show the cable end:

It could be a control cable for anything though (hydraulic valve for example).

Do you have a PTO on that transmission?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:02 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Fixnstuff
From your signature, Devin:

That's a great idea for me! It's not the ads and speed though, it's the fact that that servers and storage space with all of the photos in these forums is very costly to maintain! Much thanks to everyone who helps maintain the web site(s) and the forums!

I am using very advanced and complicated image creation and manipulation software in linux similar to the the full (and expensive) Photoshop suite in Windows (The OS I used to use back in computer days that I'd rather not remember -the Windows part of it) I haven't taken the time yet to learn how to get the file sizes way down for images for posting on the web so mine are still in the 200-400 kb range. In photo software for Windows this is usually in the 'File' Menu as 'Optimize' for Web. I used to get 1MB+ photos down to 30-50kb with the same quality. It's very very rare to need high resolution images (with large file sizes) on the web. I think I know how to do this in linux so I'll quickly figure that out before I upload any more photos.

Meanwhile becoming a supporting member of FTE is a great idea! I have a very low income from Soc. Sec. Disability and I am always money broke from buying parts for my truck but I have a stockpile of new and used parts that will keep me busy for several months. In November I need one new battery, some tire/rim changes and an alignment but in December I can become a supporting member of FTE.
Yeah I felt I wanted to use my signature to promote the site as well as give a big tip to anyone who could use a speed boost. I am a Developer at a startup by day and have alot of webpages open and noticed when ever I visited the forum it would lag and slow my computer down. I took a guess at it being the ads, and after signing up to be an FTE member the site works 100% better now. I don't know what the pay back is per impression on these ads, probably $.02 so I am betting a membership is probably a good investment for the site too.

Cheers,
Devin

Old 10-22-2015, 09:42 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
plus you get a cool t-shirt

Old 10-22-2015, 07:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
you need to find the butcher that "played" under you dash and kick him in the crotch!!!

and that threaded rod thing is a PTO cable housing without the cable or ****

Old 10-23-2015, 12:15 AM
Fixnstuff
More Turbo
Originally Posted by dtgl90vt
thanks Fixnstuff, I actually have the haynes, the chilton, evtm, ford body/chassis/electrical, ford body, ford diesel suplement, (2) evtm's haha (lost one and found it again), and two parts manuals on cd. I'm not really looking for diagrams, as you can tell, I got em. I am hoping the adage a picture is worth a thousand words applies here. I am almost home so I will take a picture I am looking for and hopefully it will clarify what I need.

Thanks Again,
Devin
I saw that you have shop manuals from reading your truck build topic. For others, evtm = Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual. Some good electrical schematics in that one and some Vacuum diagrams but I find other important ones sometimes with greater detail in the other manuals that are not in the EVTM so it's sometimes hard to find what you are looking for in these manuals - have to search through 2 or 3 sometimes to find. I removed the diagrams to free up server space.

Since my 87 has a completely redesigned interior beginning for that year,(generation 8 = 1987-91), the panels are still on and it's an automatic I don't think photos from here would help.

I do have photos of the hood latch if you need them. Not sure if that would be the same so I balked on posting those.

I don't see such a big 'mess' that was created, mostly just some missing panels that I figured you removed (after reading your build topic). Location for the hood release lever but I didn't know if you know where it's supposed to go. I don't know what an 85 is supposed to look like but I DO see now how a photo would help you to straighten that out a bit.

I hope you find a PTO that you didn't know you had. I knew Tom would show up to say it's a PTO cable control since he's had snow plow trucks and tow trucks.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:28 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
it is a nice day when under a new to you truck, finding an unused $800 PTO unit mounted to the t-case or trans!!

Old 10-23-2015, 05:58 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
it is a nice day when under a new to you truck, finding an unused $800 PTO unit mounted to the t-case or trans!!
yeah I wish, I'll take a look when I get home. Didn't the zf5 have a PTO provision ?

Not sure how it would work, I have a 4 speed anyway.

Devin

Old 10-23-2015, 11:15 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
some do, some don't.
i have seen ZF's with no PTO window, single PTO windows, and also with windows on both sides for dual PTO applications.
just about every 4 speed truck trans i have ever seen has had a PTO window on the passenger side.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:05 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Here's how the hood release and parking brake assembly should be mounted.

The parking brake pedal is at the floor because the cable is disconnected. That's also why the purple wire is disconnected, so it doesn't leave the red BRAKE (!) failure dash warning light on all the time.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:03 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User

Here is the other side of the "PTO" cable, it looks like it was connected to the throttle. Not sure about implements so its not obvious to me what was connected. I did check and I have two plate covers on the sides of my tranny, looks like for the PTO.

Cheers,
Devin

Devin

Old 10-26-2015, 08:24 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
well, if that is the other side it sure ain't a PTO cable then.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:27 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
That looks to be for a throttle lock then, not a PTO. Its not of much use without the cable, so you might as well just remove it.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:31 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Maybe I can get the cable... I do have a York on board air setup and being able to lock the rpm's would be nice

Devin

Old 11-17-2015, 04:10 AM
dtgl90vt
Elder User
Different picture: Can someone get a picture little further south of the ebrake facing the drivers side door through the cab. I'm trying to identify what pieces of trim are in the area around the door opening.

Thanks,
Devin

Quick Reply: Looking for pictures