6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Here is the annoying whine my truck does.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 06:43 PM
bbronco66
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by displacement4me
I too had that noise and rectified it with a fuel filter change. Have you put your hand on the secondary filter housing? You can feel the harmonics in sync with the noise. I came in to that at 19K kms on the fuel filters, I bumped my interval down to 12-15K kms depending on time in service. I'm coming up to 13K kms on this set and I can faintly hear it the odd time - seems like the fuel from my go to places is not so favourable.
That is the answer to your question. Don't know why, but the noise is caused by air getting trapped in your fuel system. With your truck running and making the noise, pop the hood and put your hand on the top-side fuel filter. I will be very noticeably vibrating, especially on the fuel supply line. Both my 6.7's have done this from time to time, only solution I have been able to come up with is to remove the fuel filters and purge the system as you would if you were installing new filters.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 PM
tom18287
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2012 has always done this, just thought it was normal.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:36 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
It's not normal at all. Will some of you all confirm that when in park and you tap the throttle to about 1500 rpm and release it quick the sound goes away.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
It's extremely normal.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
I've hag 2 other 6.7 that did not do this.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:29 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
That is the same whine that my '13 has..
Originally Posted by tom18287
my 2012 has always done this, just thought it was normal.
Hey, folks!

If you're ever concerned about a noise that your truck is making, it's best to have your dealer listen to it to determine if it's normal. I'm always happy to do what I can to help as well.

Crystal

Old 10-22-2015, 02:34 PM
MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Mountain Pass
Just a thought, my 2013 always had a vacuum when I removed the fuel cap does anyone else have that? I was told that these fuel systems do not build or have vacuum as they are vented. So could this wining possibly be air being suck by if the tank is under a vacuum.
Just a thought.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
joeyou
Freshman User
Originally Posted by zeroo
It's not normal at all. Will some of you all confirm that when in park and you tap the throttle to about 1500 rpm and release it quick the sound goes away.
Yes, my whine would disappear when you tap the throttle just off idle - didn't need to get to 1500 RPM, maybe 100 RPM above idle. Whine would return when engine dropped back to idle. As I stated in my previous post, I resolved mine by replacing the fuel filters.

As a side note, when mine originally started whining, it was right after a very hard acceleration while towing my trailer. Did it for about a year until I changed the filters.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:53 PM
joeyou
Freshman User
Originally Posted by MYTRUCKNOWRATTLES
Just a thought, my 2013 always had a vacuum when I removed the fuel cap does anyone else have that? I was told that these fuel systems do not build or have vacuum as they are vented. So could this wining possibly be air being suck by if the tank is under a vacuum.
Just a thought.
I wonder if the venting is just not adequate - not completely blocked as yours would have to have been to have vacuum in the tank every time you remove the fuel cap. As I mentioned earlier, mine started whining after a very hard acceleration while towing. I wonder if under high fuel draw, it could suck some air due to insufficient venting of the tank. Just a possible theory.

Old 10-23-2015, 04:49 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
I fill up all the time while idling, and the whine does not go away.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:43 PM
joeyou
Freshman User
I fill up all the time while idling, and the whine does not go away.
I'm not saying for certain that air in the system is the cause of your whine, but I think you might be missing the point here. If at some point the tank went into a vacuum, air might have sucked into the fuel system and gotten trapped in a high place within the fuel system. If that happened, then it wouldn't necessarily matter that your whine doesn't go away when filling up with the engine running (the air is already in the system and can't purge itself out). This is speculation - just a possible theory that incorporates both the fact that some people have resolved the whine by replacing the filters/purging the system, and others have reported vacuum in the tank.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by joeyou
I'm not saying for certain that air in the system is the cause of your whine, but I think you might be missing the point here. If at some point the tank went into a vacuum, air might have sucked into the fuel system and gotten trapped in a high place within the fuel system. If that happened, then it wouldn't necessarily matter that your whine doesn't go away when filling up with the engine running (the air is already in the system and can't purge itself out). This is speculation - just a possible theory that incorporates both the fact that some people have resolved the whine by replacing the filters/purging the system, and others have reported vacuum in the tank.
10-4. No vac issue here. Also, the highest point of the fuel system is the filter under the hood. It is installed, as far as I know, full of air. Seems most trucks purge it. I am leaning towards a solinoid in the exhaust or fuel system.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:26 PM
joeyou
Freshman User
10-4. No vac issue here. Also, the highest point of the fuel system is the filter under the hood. It is installed, as far as I know, full of air. Seems most trucks purge it. I am leaning towards a solinoid in the exhaust or fuel system.
Yes, I know the underhood filter would likely be the highest place in the system and that it is installed dry, and that the system can purge the air out when following the purge procedure outlined in the manual. Just out of curiosity, try running through the purge procedure and see if the whine goes away. In hindsight, I wish I had tried that on mine before replacing the filters.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 PM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Not familiar with a purge procedure. I'll google..

Old 10-24-2015, 07:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
nothing more than key on, key off.

6-8 times.

turn the key on till the buzz stops.

Quick Reply: Here is the annoying whine my truck does.