Sponsored by:

Rear shackle flip ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 09:07 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear shackle flip ?'s

I have a few questions regarding a rear shackle flip on a 77 F-150. What parts are needed? Do you use the front shackle from the rear springs? Will it flex better than the stock setup? Does anyone have pics of theirs or a link to some pics? I need to know what to get from the junkyard because I'm going to go get parts tomorrow so I have something to do this weekend. I'm in the process of getting a buddies truck ready for Memorial weekend and want to get rid of the stock blocks.

Old 04-22-2004, 11:05 PM
FordPerf300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need the F250/350 front of leaf hanger

Old 04-22-2004, 11:44 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordPerf300
You need the F250/350 front of leaf hanger
That is the front hangar for the rear springs. Also you may want to see about picking up some heavy duty shackles. Check galleries for fishmandotcom and proeliator, I know they both have good pics of the shackle flip. www.skymanufacturing.com sells flip kits for around $100 also, which will bolt in place of your stock rear hangar. Flex will improve quite a bit with this setup.

The search feature is not back to normal yet, too bad because there are a few really good threads about this.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:52 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
there are a few ways to do it....first (and easiest) is buy the kit from Sky. I did that b/c the brackets are so much stronger.

or

remove rear shackle and then on the bottom of the hanger cut a hole big enough so that the shackle will slip up from the bottom...which works but is not very strong.

or

(what most people do) go to a junkyard and find a set of rear axle/front hangers....they will drop the farthest and then get your angle right, drill frame, then bolt up. just use your existing shackle!

yes you will get a good amount of lift with any of the ways without sacrificing flex and ride. As Ivan said...check out my gallery for pics of the kit from Sky or Pro's gallery of the ones he made. have any other questions, i would be glad to help.

-jason-

Edit: here is a shoprt cheesey vid clip of how much flex that shackle flip got me http://www.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2...6E10F2CE1AE26D

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 04-23-2004 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
(what most people do) go to a junkyard and find a set of rear axle/front hangers....they will drop the farthest and then get your angle right, drill frame, then bolt up. just use your existing shackle!

This is most likely what we will end up doing. We will also most likely beef up all the parts with some 1/4" plate. I found out today that the rear shocks are too short, so we will have to re-work the shock mounts.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:05 PM
mark a.
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 97 Posts
What is all of this going to do to the pinion angle ? And will it move the axle forward too much in the fender wells ?

Old 04-23-2004, 11:39 PM
GloryToTheSouthland
Senior User
Id heard that shackle flips were harder on your springs. Is that true?

Old 04-24-2004, 12:49 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mark a.
What is all of this going to do to the pinion angle ? And will it move the axle forward too much in the fender wells ?
it turns the axle up MAYBE 1* if that, so it is not anything i would worry about plus it is in favor of the u-joint. The fender well is true...it does push it forward a good bit...i have scrubbed a few times b/c of it, but the way i plan on remeding it is to drop the front hangers now. I am gonna get some angle iron and bolt to the frame and then drop the hanger enough.

Originally Posted by GloryToTheSouthland
Id heard that shackle flips were harder on your springs. Is that true?
i dunno why they would make a difference. the only way i can see being harder on springs is if you dropped 6000 pounds in the bed and drove around everyday. they are leaf springs and they are made to last. i am just curious what do you mean harder on them? as long as you get the same angle on the shackle then it will be exactly the same just 4" higher

-jason-

Old 04-24-2004, 04:25 PM
GloryToTheSouthland
Senior User
Id just heard it from a buddy that did one on his chevy. Harder meaning it puts more stress on them. Figured Id find out if it was true or not

Old 04-24-2004, 06:47 PM
FordPerf300
Posting Guru
Many vehicles came with with the shackles pointing down so i doubt it will introduce any more stress than they already feel. My axle got pushed way towards the fender, i installed the ORD zero rate leaf that allows install the axle back 1.5", helped a bit but i'm prolbably also going to have to drop the front hangers.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:19 PM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User
correct website is www.sky-manufacturing.com
fishmann what do they mean by every inch of movement takes away 1/2" of lift. So could I get 2" springs since its a 4.5" lift with the shackle. Or could I make the shackle lift only 2" and use 4" springs.

Old 04-24-2004, 11:37 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
it means that when you install their kit the way they prescribe there are 2 holes to use....if you use the hole towards the front of the truck then it will add 1/2".....if you use the hole towards the back of the truck it subtracts 1/2"

best thing to do is to do the shackle flip and then drop the front hangers as was previouslyt mentioned for another couple of inches

-jason-

Old 04-24-2004, 11:52 PM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User
I don't quite get what your saying it is all confusing. So if I go that kit then dropped the spring stationary spring mounts down I would end up with 2" of lift.

Old 04-25-2004, 12:16 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver

no....ok look.....you see the hole that I am using? it is the hole towards the front of the truck. had i used the one behind it i would lose 1/2". if you were to relocate your front hanger then you could potentially gain about 2 more inches of lift.

-jaosn-

Old 04-25-2004, 12:25 AM
fordmudrunner2020
Senior User
I see so when you relocate your fron hanger you get a total of 4.5" and if you were to leave it the way it is you would gain either 2 or 2.5" of lift depending on the hole you choose. thanks fishmann sorry for being such a pain but I just couldn't understand. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Rear shackle flip ?'s