6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Questions before aftermarket sound system.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 11:24 PM
gdiehl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions before aftermarket sound system.

So I hate the stock sound system in my 2013 superduty. I wanna keep the stock headunit with the nav, sync and mytouch. I wanna keep all that and my question is will pulling out all the stock sound equipment and replacing it with a an aftermarket amp and subs and another amp and battery for the door speakers alter any of the functions of the stock headunit. I read somewhere that the stock amp had something to do with the sync but I'm not sure

Old 10-19-2015, 08:09 AM
jonrjen
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you don't get an answer here, call Crutchfield Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, Pro Audio, 4k TV

And as them for some assistance, they can tell you every thing you need to know and more.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:30 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gdiehl
So I hate the stock sound system in my 2013 superduty. I wanna keep the stock headunit with the nav, sync and mytouch. I wanna keep all that and my question is will pulling out all the stock sound equipment and replacing it with a an aftermarket amp and subs and another amp and battery for the door speakers alter any of the functions of the stock headunit. I read somewhere that the stock amp had something to do with the sync but I'm not sure
You could always run an amplifier with line level inputs (basically uses the high wattage speaker wire going to each speaker as the input to the amp). Otherwise, you would have to convert the low level outputs that go into the factory amp into RCA style connections. You will take a risk of picking up noise either way.

Line-level connections would be my suggestion. it's best to find an amplifier that already has the option (like most Alpine amps). The stand alone adapters generally pop or have noise issues.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:28 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
After Market

Do you want it louder(Big BOOMS) or do you want more my dynamic range? The stock system is matched so upgrading the parts of it will help but it will not solve the dynamic range issue. Crutchfield.com will know your truck and is a good place to start.

The head unit will continue to work with after market speakers and amps. But it might now solve the sound quality issue.

I ended up replacing my head unit after upgrading my speakers. I was not happy with the sound after I did the speakers and the amp. I still have sync and steering wheel controls.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
I used an LCQ-1 to run a couple of 1,000W amps. 1 - 4 channel for the speakers and 1 for the subs.

LCQ-1 - AudioControl

It's OK, works as advertised but there is very slight noise when the vol is min. Otherwise the sound is good.

If I had it to do over again I would replace the head unit.

Old 10-19-2015, 12:53 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
WOW is all I can say. I think my truck as as good a sound system I have every heard in a auto of any kind, volume no shortage of that at all. I hook into my fone and play the music I have on it, and I listen to everything. Enjoy your sounds, hope I get to hear one of these upgrades someday to see how its different...

Old 10-19-2015, 09:45 PM
gdiehl
Junior User
Are there any aftermarket head units that use the same enterface as the stock one? I wanna keep the same functionality of the stock head unit. Like with an aftermarket one how would I turn on the heated and cooled seats?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Thats the rub

My wife car has that kind functions built into radio display. I personal hate the multiple display controls. It requires more attention while driving to make changes. Whats going on is the Radio is displaying information via a interface that talks to the on-board computer which in turn controls the device like Air condition seats. I don't know of any radio/head unit that has that level of integration. My radio will display gauges and some other small stuff from the on board computer. But not the level of control you want.

It is possible for a company to build the interface, not sure if its profitable.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:59 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Are there any aftermarket head units that use the same enterface as the stock one? I wanna keep the same functionality of the stock head unit. Like with an aftermarket one how would I turn on the heated and cooled seats?
I just put a Kenwood deck in my 2008 f250.....mind you my truck doesn't have all the bells a whistles of a new truck like yours....but long story short you should be able to maintain all the stock functionality with an upgraded stereo unit...it's all in the interface module that you chose. Google idata link maestro modules.......they retain all stock functions like steering wheel controls, sync and climate control functions etc.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:02 PM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts

No.

From what I can tell from ilink website, they only support lower end audio systems. Not myford touch in Lariat, KR or above.

What part of the system do you find unacceptable? If just the sub, that's an easy fix.

Old 10-20-2015, 03:21 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
this is not here

Old 10-20-2015, 11:46 PM
gdiehl
Junior User
The speakers aren't loud enough and anything above half volume they just kinda get scratchy and it sounds like they'll go at any moment. The stock sub is a joke. In my last truck I had 2 10 inch kenwood subs a kenwood amp, kicker door speakers all the way around and a pioneer avic 7000 nex head unit. I wanna get that same sound volume and clarity in this truck but be able to keep the same headunit and functionality that comes with it.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:59 AM
smoky_diesel
Cargo Master
Received 212 Likes on 162 Posts
Please let us know what trim your truck is and what audio system it has.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:24 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
The speakers aren't loud enough and anything above half volume they just kinda get scratchy and it sounds like they'll go at any moment. The stock sub is a joke. In my last truck I had 2 10 inch kenwood subs a kenwood amp, kicker door speakers all the way around and a pioneer avic 7000 nex head unit. I wanna get that same sound volume and clarity in this truck but be able to keep the same headunit and functionality that comes with it.
If you want to keep the head unit you need a line out converter. The LCQ-1 is a good unit and will do what you want. You can do whatever you like for amps, speakers, subs. If you set up like the below you will retain all your stock audio controls, balance, fade etc.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:58 AM
gdiehl
Junior User
I'll look at those lcq-1's. My truck is a 13 king Ranch. Has all the bells and whistles in the screen. It's the big one that comes up higher than the dash kinda.

Quick Reply: Questions before aftermarket sound system.