1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Newbie with a 68

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2015, 11:49 AM
fettsvenska
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie with a 68

This is my first post so I'm very new here. I just acquired my 68 F250 earlier this week. This is my dream truck, or at least I hope to turn it into that some day. It's nothing special but at least it's my "nothing special". It should clean up pretty good. The original owner was a doctor who just used this truck as his primary vehicle. Anyway, I'm probably way too giddy about this truck.

1968 Ford F250 Ranger Camper Special by FatSwede, on Flickr

Old 10-11-2015, 12:00 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

It's a Camper Special... Ranger. And one of the few that I have seen with what appears to be a straight front bumper and grill shell. Do your best to keep it that way.

Dual tachometer? What's the story on that?

Old 10-11-2015, 01:01 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Looks like a pretty solid truck you have there.

I have a Mustang friend that lives in Enköping, Sweden. Seems like I remember him saying that trucks weren't all that common there. If that's the case, you would have something rather unusual around those parts.

If you care to take a look at some of the work my Swedish friend is doing to his '67 Mustang (turboed EFI 289 engine), you can view it at the following link.

http://vikingmustang.com/

(you can click on "Photo Albums" at the top of the page, under the "Fotki" logo, to see the various photos and stages of changes he's made).

Old 10-11-2015, 01:27 PM
hot-rod
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome on board Nice Truck Are you coming with the truck next year to power-meet??

best regards
hot-rod

Old 10-11-2015, 02:50 PM
fettsvenska
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Welcome to FTE.

It's a Camper Special... Ranger. And one of the few that I have seen with what appears to be a straight front bumper and grill shell. Do your best to keep it that way.

Dual tachometer? What's the story on that?
The one one the steering column is supposed to be some sort of fuel efficiency gauge. I don't have much use for that gauge so I'm inclined to remove it at some point. I'm not an aggressive driver anyway so having an indicator like that won't change the way I drive.

Old 10-11-2015, 02:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by fettsvenska
The one one the steering column is supposed to be some sort of fuel efficiency gauge. I don't have much use for that gauge so I'm inclined to remove it at some point. I'm not an aggressive driver anyway so having an indicator like that won't change the way I drive.
Oh.. it's a vacuum gauge. Yeah, the higher the vacuum is maintained, the smoother the load is applied to the engine. Stomping on the gas pedal drops vacuum precipitously while smooth acceleration maintains a higher vacuum. My VW GTI used to have an upshift light that served to indicate when to grab the next gear to maximize MPG. It's also helpful to show the engine's condition based on its reading (steady, spiking, or low).

Old 10-11-2015, 02:58 PM
fettsvenska
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ultraranger
Looks like a pretty solid truck you have there.

I have a Mustang friend that lives in Enköping, Sweden. Seems like I remember him saying that trucks weren't all that common there. If that's the case, you would have something rather unusual around those parts.

If you care to take a look at some of the work my Swedish friend is doing to his '67 Mustang (turboed EFI 289 engine), you can view it at the following link.

http://vikingmustang.com/

(you can click on "Photo Albums" at the top of the page, under the "Fotki" logo, to see the various photos and stages of changes he's made).
I suppose that my handle is a bit misleading. I don't actually live in Sweden. My heritage is mostly Swedish, which is where the reference comes from. I live in the Spokane, WA area.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:00 PM
fettsvenska
Freshman User
I have to confess that I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm not totally inept but I have to hire out the more complex repairs and tasks. My grandpa had an F250 and I have so many fond memories of that pickup truck and so I've always dreamed of having one of my own.

Old 10-11-2015, 07:14 PM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That truck looks in great shape. Welcome to the forum. I live in Lake Stevens,WA. I'll be out your way (North of Kettel Falls actually) for hunting season, next week!!!

Old 10-11-2015, 07:16 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by fettsvenska
I have to confess that I'm not much of a mechanic. I'm not totally inept but I have to hire out the more complex repairs and tasks. My grandpa had an F250 and I have so many fond memories of that pickup truck and so I've always dreamed of having one of my own.
Everybody here started not knowing anything. You learn by doing. There are plenty of shop manuals available and people here that can help with information on whatever you're doing.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:01 AM
fettsvenska
Freshman User
Everybody here started not knowing anything. You learn by doing. There are plenty of shop manuals available and people here that can help with information on whatever you're doing.
Thanks for the encouragement, Ultraranger. That is sort of the way I learn best, by doing and figuring it out for myself. Fortunately, my pickup is in pretty good shape mechanically. As far as I can tell, there are only 2 problems right now. The power steering pump is leaking and I think that there is a hole in the exhaust. Neither of these is too serious right now. I can live with the hole in the exhaust for now because I don't think it is too serious and as long as I keep the power steering fluid topped off that shouldn't be a big problem either.

Old 10-12-2015, 11:09 AM
fettsvenska
Freshman User
Originally Posted by hot-rod
Welcome on board Nice Truck Are you coming with the truck next year to power-meet??

best regards
hot-rod
I would love to attend that event but it won't be in the budget anytime soon.

Old 10-12-2015, 04:30 PM
TeachNlive4ever
Cargo Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All it is is nuts and bolts. The diagnostic is the fun part, but that's why these fellas are here.
Welcome to FTE
2X on the straight bumper and grill