1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F150 Radio work

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Pebcak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 1986 F150 Radio work

I was able to get some time to take the radio out of my truck this weekend and finally look at it. If you look at another thread of radio questions I had it'll give you a little background of why I want to keep the stock radio.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...o-quandry.html

Below you'll see the radio in all its working glory! After getting the collar glued and tie wrapped together back onto the tuning **** it works great!

I was able to blow out and clean up the circuitry a little and didn't break anything.

Popped it back into the truck and now the tuning is working and the volume is working better as well.

The next thing I am looking at getting is the RediRad FM and get a small amp and upgrade the three speakers in the truck.

I don't know the model but this is the stock radio from the truck.

Side of the radio.

Top of the radio.

The broken collar and shaft for the tuning ****.

The tuning **** and gear area of the radio.

Close up of the gear and **** area.

I forgot to get a pic after I put everything back in. Sorry.

In the next couple of weeks I'm going to hit a couple Pick n Pulls in the area and see what other "odds and ends" I can get for the interior. I'm looking for:

1. Lock/Unlock chrome piece
2. Window button chrome piece
3. The plastic tab that connects the shifting cable to the shifter.
4. Black interior to swap out for the red that I have for visors, doors, dash and headliner. Leaving the carpet and seat Red.

Then it's new pads, oil change, front end alignment, replace emblems, update the plastic marker lights, new tires and redo the A/C.

Still having a blast with it being a day-today driver!

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,676 Likes on 1,355 Posts
Why are you spending so much money on a FM modulator? There are a bunch of them on Amazon for less that $20. And I didn't look very hard. Walmart probably has them cheap also. They used to sell kits for portable cd players to play them through the car radio.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Pebcak
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Franklin2
Why are you spending so much money on a FM modulator? There are a bunch of them on Amazon for less that $20. And I didn't look very hard. Walmart probably has them cheap also. They used to sell kits for portable cd players to play them through the car radio.
I've been looking for one of the modulators that don't have the issues where you plug it in and not have interference with stations still. per the other Thread, I had asked for input of something that will work and not have the issues with interference and that's what came up. I do want to Thank You for pointing it out that there are others out there too. It's my own fault because I've been focusing on other things outside of the truck and more important things WITH the truck.

That being said, I've looked around and I think I found one that's 1/2 the price of the initial one. iSimple

Thanks again for speaking up. I'm just wanting to keep it as stock as possible and everything hidden for the "authentic look" as well.