replace intake valve with hose(s) on 96 F350 powerstroke diesel

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 03:01 PM
mscham
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace intake valve with hose(s) on 96 F350 powerstroke diesel

Hi, I'm new to diesels.

I acquired the 96 F350 7.3 Power Stroke Diesel about a year ago. At that time the mechanics that performed the engine check identified something in the air intake they had not seen before. They also said it was non-functional due to it being wired open.

A bit of research later... I identified it as a "positive air shutoff valve" made by RodaDeaco .

Due to:
  • the unavailability of parts,
  • the fact that its not functional,
  • and its replacement being > 2k
I want to leave it off when I take the valve cover's off to replace the glow plugs.
The challenge being, I don't know what the intake looks like without it nor where I might be able to get the parts I need {Yes, I'm familiar with the local pull it off parts lot [though they haven't had any similar vehicles in the last year]}.

suggestions?

here are a few pic's to show you what I'm talking about.

Air intake valve from drivers quarter panel

Air intake valve from over radiator

Air intake valve from front of turbo

Air intake valve from drivers side of turbo

Air intake valve from drivers side of turbo closer

Air intake valve from passenger side of turbo

Old 10-04-2015, 03:09 PM
sean9049
Senior User
that is really odd...never seen that. if you are mechanically inclined then i would suggest find a part out on Craigslist,Fleabay,junkyard etc from a 94.5-97 truck like yours and get the whole intake system from turbo boot to filter(including the CCV) remove and replace with the stock system and disconnect any wires that come off of the old system. Good luck!
Edit: someone on here could have the stock intake system and you could get it from them. also while your working in the engine bay give it some lovin', its looking very dirty and you could be missing an oil/fuel leak, lost in the dirt.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:10 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Wow that's bizarre!
You need a riffraff inlet boot and somebody to sell you a ccv housing...stat!

Old 10-04-2015, 04:05 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,186 Likes on 815 Posts
I think ive seen this before, its a propane conversion for gassers, guess someone tryed to do Frankenstein propane injection

Old 10-04-2015, 07:34 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I looked it up, and I am sure you already know this but for the rest of us, it is an emergency shut-off valve designed to shut the truck off by occluding air. I guess it helps prevent a run away engine. I find an odd addition to a powerstroke but I know some companies have odd requirements when purchasing a truck.

Looks like you need an intake boot and there there is supposed to be an intermediate metal pipe between the black hose you have and the intake boot. It is hard to tell if you have the crank case vent housing on the valve cover or not. If not, then you will need one.

Old 10-04-2015, 09:41 PM
DDPJ
Senior User
I do see the ccv on top of the valve cover. I've taken a photo of my 97 7.3. You need the aluminum intake that's mounted to the bracket and the tubing from it to the turbo. There is a 90 degree 7/8" piece of hose that goes from the front of the ccv to the underside of the aluminum intake.

Here's the stock set up on my 97 PS.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:53 PM
mscham
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by sean9049
... if you are mechanically inclined then i would suggest find a part out on Craigslist,Fleabay,junkyard etc from a 94.5-97 truck like yours and get the whole intake system from turbo boot to filter(including the CCV)
... Good luck!
... also while your working in the engine bay give it some lovin', its looking very dirty and you could be missing an oil/fuel leak, lost in the dirt.
Hi Sean, while I wouldn't say I was necessarily mechanically inclined, I'm not afraid of digging into my vehicles either {my last project}.

Yes, it feels like a cleaner fix to uptain the whole intake just not sure it's going to work out that way. Especially considering my search in all yards for 94-97 F#50 SD's on row52 only show's two, in Michigan...

Agreed, I don't really like how accumulation has occurred in the engine bay so I'll be giving it some TLC. thanks

Originally Posted by 97-psd
... it is an emergency shut-off valve designed to shut the truck off by occluding air. ...
Looks like you need an intake boot and there there is supposed to be an intermediate metal pipe between the black hose you have and the intake boot. It is hard to tell if you have the crank case vent housing on the valve cover or not. If not, then you will need one.
Correct, sorry thought my calling it a "positive air shutoff valve" was sufficient enough description.

It sounds like your intermediate metal pipe is what DDPJ calls the aluminum intake? Yes, the crank case vent housing resides on the valve cover.

crank case vent housing

Originally Posted by DDPJ
I do see the ccv on top of the valve cover. I've taken a photo of my 97 7.3. You need the aluminum intake that's mounted to the bracket and the tubing from it to the turbo. There is a 90 degree 7/8" piece of hose that goes from the front of the ccv to the underside of the aluminum intake.
Yup, I have the ccv on the valve cover. ;-)
another affirmative, the 7/8" hose is also present

7/8" 90 degree tube

ah, this photo also shows the valve wired open.

Awesome photo DDPJ, show's me what its supposed to look like.

As far as I know, except for this intake valve, my truck be stock as well.

OK, assuming I have appropriately assimilated the lists wisdom, I'm looking for:
  • intake system from {air} filter to turbo
or
  • aluminum intake,
  • tubing from aluminum intake to turbo and
  • clamps of appropriate size.
thanks for the insight's.

Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 PM
mscham
5th Wheeling
The local Ford parts department was kind enough to print the parts page that shows the turbo and the parts that connect to it.

Turbo and connecting parts diagram

They also noted that Ford no longer makes the "Orange Hose" so my only option from them was the "Black Hose" replacement kit. Ford part # F7TZ-9C681-AA.

A little online research turned up AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake willing to sell said item for significantly less than my local dealer.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:48 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 389 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Wow that's bizarre!
You need a riffraff inlet boot and somebody to sell you a ccv housing...stat!
Go check riffraff diesel they have a superior replacement for the orange boot.

Old 11-12-2015, 06:06 AM
echo95
Senior User
Ford OBS 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Inlet Tube Kit F7TZ-9C681-AA

Same kit from Pure Power Diesel for a little less. Pretty much has everything you will need to convert it back to the stock system with the black turbo inlet piece.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM
duck fan
Because racetruck

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts
You want this intake boot from Riffraff Diesel. Much less than the Ford, and then I am sure someone on here can help you out and give you a CCV housing.

Riffraff Diesel 94-97 Turbo Intake Boot - Ford 7.3L

Old 11-15-2015, 03:00 PM
mscham
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by fordman67
Go check riffraff diesel they have a superior replacement for the orange boot.
Originally Posted by duck fan
You want this intake boot from Riffraff Diesel. Much less than the Ford, and then I am sure someone on here can help you out and give you a CCV housing.
Riffraff Diesel 94-97 Turbo Intake Boot - Ford 7.3L
I'm sure the quality of the replacement boot is superior. I went with the single source of parts for the time being. When, what I got, wears enough to warrent replacement, I'll see about using this part.

Originally Posted by echo95
Ford OBS 7.3L Powerstroke Turbo Inlet Tube Kit F7TZ-9C681-AA
Same kit from Pure Power Diesel for a little less. Pretty much has everything you will need to convert it back to the stock system with the black turbo inlet piece.
Yes, beats the price from the local Ford dealership. However, comes up a bit short of the price I got from the dealer in Minnesota...

Old 11-15-2015, 03:13 PM
mscham
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by DDPJ
There is a 90 degree 7/8" piece of hose that goes from the front of the ccv to the underside of the aluminum intake.
How much internal pressure does this hose get exposed to? I ask because where mine bends there is a bulge.

hose bulge

If this were a cooling system hose, I'd replace it without thinking about it. Thoughts?

thanks

Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM
mscham
5th Wheeling
None of the local parts places {including Ford dealer} had what the diagrams listed as this part. During the installation of the orange hose replacement kit, I realized it came with its replacement. It is significantly shorter (3ish inches with a 90 degree bend) and stiffer so if I had acquired its replacement it may not have worked.

As of yesterday afternoon, my intake valve replacement project is completed.

thanks for the help.

Mike

Old 01-24-2017, 08:56 PM
GreenMachineF250
New User
Tymar Intake with replaced orange turbo housing hose using Ford F7TZ-9C681-AA - HOSE - AIR INLET.