Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2012 Escape Rear door/windows leakage

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM
frosty134
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 Escape Rear door/windows leakage

I have been looking at a 2012 Escape, feeling hesitant because of reports of the rear door and or glass leaking, soaking the interior and shorting out the rear wiper. I have a 2011 Escape and it is not a problem.

Would this be a production issue in that a certain manufacture date the 2012's were problematic?

Old 10-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
So you are talking about the hatch.

On our 2010, the hatch lock motor got wimpier and wimpier, and finally would not unlock the hatch. I replaced it. The problem was its made in Germany motor, which was integral to the latch motor assembly. Sold only as a complete assembly, no internal parts available. There were no leaks from the hatch's window, yet.

And LATER ON, the hatch window weatherstrip started to leak, and I replaced that. After I installed the new hatch window weatherstrip, I realized that the original weatherstrip had permanently compressed over time, because when it was new, the glass when closed, stuck out some on the bottom edge. Before I replaced the w/s, it no longer did. Putting on the new w/s, it stuck out again, which reminded me that it used to do that, years before.
IIRC, the replacement w/s was an updated design, different part # suffix (revision level). I replaced it November of 2014.

To replace the hatch window w/s, you have to remove the wiper motor cover, remove the wiring channel covers on the glass, without pulling off the base channel pieces that are bonded to the glass. Unplug the wiper motor harness and disconnect it from hold-downs in the wiring channel. Unplug the defroster electrical connectors, and then the gas struts for the hatch. Not too bad of a job for someone properly inclined. Having someone patient to hold the hatch lid up when required is a BIG help.

As they say "just don't break nothin'", and it will be fine.

I suspect all 2009-201X may have these issues. Whether someone has had them yet or not may depend on how often the hatch is opened (hatch latch motor, ours opened multiple times per day), and maybe temperature/solar conditions for the hatch glass w/s (ours parked w/rear facing our intense sun during the day, with high temps most of the year). Just my thoughts on that.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:07 AM
frosty134
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky Hatch 2012 Escape

Hi, I kind off wondered about usage, but all in all the rubber should be like a gasket and seal out the moisture. Where I have found my leakage is where the hatch connects to the body at the latch. Dealer said they adjusted rubber.

I remember years ago window rubber would harden and crack and I recall there being a way to keep that from happening with some application of a rubber treatment. Wonder if a treatment such as this would help?

My 2010 has never shown a leakage problem 114,000 kms at this point. But I think your idea of parking the hatch away from the sun as much as possible is sound.

Thank-you

2010 Escape 2.5l 4 cyl.,FWD
2012 Escape 3.0l 6 cyl.,FWD