RPMs @ 70mph with 4.30 gears in DRW - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

RPMs @ 70mph with 4.30 gears in DRW

Old 10-02-2015, 06:24 PM
sledgehammer1
New User
sledgehammer1 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello gang! Glad to be a part of the forum.

Im gonna be ready for a new truck soon. Always had diesel Fords, but the 6.0 and 6.4 has left a bad taste in my mouth. I know those are Navistar engines, but with all the exhaust after treatment stuff and reading the diesel forums about the 6.7....I think im going back to gas for awhile.

I have a 7.3 f250 personal truck now, its been a great truck for 10 years and I like it alot, but with 2 kids and a family now its not big enough being only a supercab. We also traded our travel trailer for a fifth wheel last year and I want a long bed truck for extra room in the bed. I'm not a great big fan of the looks of a single wheel long bed trucks, so I want to go DRW again. I've drove a DRW before, and still have them at our business, so Im not concerned about getting it around. Driving a crewcab f450 with a 13' utility bed gets ya over the extra width issue quick lol. Also I think the DRW will make towing the fiver a bit better on the interstate.

So Ive rattled enough. On fords site, Ive built a truck like I want....just not sure on the 4.30s. Im not positive, but I believe the DRW trucks with 17s will have a bit shorter of a tire than the SRW trucks with 18s or 20s. Ive not verified that for sure, but I believe that is right. I know the gas engine will need a bit more RPMs to keep it in the powerband than the diesels Im used to, but I dont want it screaming on the interstate if Im empty either. On the same token, If I go 3.73s Im worried it will be too sluggish when loaded if RPMs are too low.

Any got a DRW F350 6.2 with 4.30s that could post some RPMs at 65, 70, or 75mph? 3.73s can post up too please.
Thanks guys.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:55 PM
clintbonnie
Postmaster
clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
I am assuming you have not ordered the truck yet.. I bought and order mine 2015 F350 using TrueCar.com.. You can check off all the options and cost that are available as you build the truck without committing to anything.. They will suggest one or two of your Ford dealers that will accept the target price but I took the results (copied them) and went to my local Ford dealer and ordered it.. no hassle what so ever.. great way to buy a vehicle.
I think you would be better off with a 4.30 ratio.. I have a 3.73 and sometimes I wish I had a lower rearend.. pulling my 26' TT..

Old 10-02-2015, 06:59 PM
sledgehammer1
New User
Correct, I haven't ordered the truck yet, and most likely it will still be a couple months away.

Thanks for your input

Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 PM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of

My DRW with 4.30 gears runs right around 2K at 65 mph in 6th gear, in 5th 2.4K rpm and in 4th right around 3K. The only time I even start to hear the motor pulling is in 4th but it's not all that noticeable in 3rd it at 65 you know it's there but it also takes off even with a 16K trailer in tow. If your not pulling you never hear it unless you want to.

I would nothing but 4.30 gears in my DRW truck.

Denny

Old 10-03-2015, 08:08 AM
sledgehammer1
New User
Thank you Rvpuller!

Sounds like 4.30s will put it in a good spot all around, with the gas engine.

Our 5th wheel is less than 11k loaded, so I shouldn't have any problems there. We tow less than 12 times a year anyway. I'd rather have a bit of reserve capacity left, rather than be right on the edge though.

Other than the 5th wheel, the truck might pull a mini excavator or compact track loader a few times a year, but that would still be under 15.5k.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:25 AM
rvpuller
rvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud ofrvpuller has much to be proud of
We just pulled over Wolf Creek Pass in CO (10800 ft) and we gross at 24400, I was in 1st gear at the top but that's the same thing my V10 did for years without any problems. With the overhead cams this motor likes to rev when needed and cruise dead quite the rest of time.

Denny

Old 10-03-2015, 12:55 PM
truckfella
Elder User
truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.truckfella has a good reputation on FTE.
RVPuller:1st gear, at what rpm and what speed?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:19 PM
rvpuller
25 mph 4K rpm or somewhere close to that, the aspens were in full color so I didn't watch it that close.

Denny

Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 PM
sledgehammer1
New User
wow, nothing that high around here. We have mountains, but 6000 feet is about it for the most part. 24k gross is quite a bit.

Whats just the truck weight?

Old 10-03-2015, 09:19 PM
rvpuller
With the aux fuel tank full and all my tool boxes 8400.
Nothing runs all that fast when you get into the 10K range elevation just not enough oxygen.

Denny

Old 10-03-2015, 09:25 PM
sledgehammer1
New User
yep, hard to make power from a naturally aspirated engine with no air.

My gross would probably be under 18k or so with our fifth wheel and stuff. That would probably be our max if we ever traveled much out of TN.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 PM
rvpuller

We spend 7 to 8 months a year in ours so we carry a lot of stuff and have a roomy trailer.

We travel with a lot of rvers with diesels and they slow way down when you get way up to but they have more torque to start with so they can pull more, they also have to watch their temps were with my 6.2 the highest tranny temp is 219 and the motor temp gage never moves.

I can go faster in 1st but what's the point of tearing up the motor, yesterday I was pulling 7 or 8 % grade on hwy 95 in Utah and was passed by a Toyota pulling a small 5th wheel and it sounded like it was going to come apart but he can say he passed a Ford.

If you ever get a chance to drive hwy 95 in Utah take it, the scenery is unbelievable

Denny

Old 10-04-2015, 05:28 PM
rvpuller
Originally Posted by rvpuller View Post
25 mph 4K rpm or somewhere close to that, the aspens were in full color so I didn't watch it that close.

Denny
We got into some serious grades today on hwy 12 going south to Bryce NP and I run 4.5K rpm at 25 mph in 1st not 4K. The grades were 6 to14% with the highest elevation of 9600.

Denny

Old 10-04-2015, 06:07 PM
sledgehammer1
New User
Id love to load up and head out west for a month or so of camping. Unfortunately, thats still a long ways off for me.

Would you guys say the 6.2 with the 6 speed auto and 4.30 gears is close to the old 7.3 with the 4r100 automatic and 3.73 gears? Im trying to get a good feel for comparision. My 01 7.3 f250 has enough power for what I do now...its just too small. I cant find a used 7.3 either that isn't already clapped out and most are about 15 years old too....not really comfortable buying a 15 year old truck with 200k+ miles and not knowing any history on it. The decent ones I have found, I backed away from after checking the carfax.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:42 AM
rvpuller
I've never owned a 7.3 or a diesel but I have pulled a load with a friends 7.3, it did the job and I have no idea what gears it had but I wasn't as powerful as I thought it would be. I feel a 6.2 with 4.30 gears would do a better job overall.

Denny

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RPMs @ 70mph with 4.30 gears in DRW

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: