6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Do all duallys wonder or just F450s?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 07:44 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do all duallys wonder or just F450s?

So I was finally able to can take the truck out for a long drive today. I found that the truck drives very smoothly on straight flat roads but the minute the road has ruts or uneven pavement the truck wants to veer off into those ruts dramatically. I did a search and I found other earlier F 450 owners complaining of this problem and even a few F 350 dually owners complaining of this problem. Ford actually has a response to this issue claiming that it is perfectly normal which I don't doubt. They claim it's because of the commercial grade tires as well as the truck being so closely aligned to the chassis cab model. I just wanted to get the opinion of other members with duallys on if they experience significant wondering when driving over uneven surfaces. The first time it happened with my wife in the car it really created a white-knuckle driving situation. Below is the note that Ford posted regarding the issue.

"F-450 Pickup--steering wander on rough roads: Some trucks may exhibit a wander feeling on rough or rutted roads. This condition may be worse with all terrain tires than with highway tread. Customers should be aware that the F-450 pickup is based on the cab and chassis model. Although ride characteristics should be better than the cab and chassis, they will still be more harsh than the F-350 dually. Verify the tires are inflated to the pressures on the tires specification placard. The symptom should be compared to a like vehicle under similar conditions/road surfaces. Inspect suspension fastener torque and alignment angles. It is recommended that at least 1000 miles are accumulated on the truck for steering gear break in before attempting to diagnose. Tire replacement is not recommended. Broadcast Message 7236."

Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Justin, we had similar problems with our 450 med units. They were all 6.4s, but all we did was put an aftermarket steering stabilizers on them which made a huge difference. The style of tire makes it search out the ruts and ridges. Once the tires get worn a little, some of it will go away. But the stabilizers helped ours tremendously.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:56 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Thanks, I also read that the wide track worses the issue. I am looking for a dual stabilizer setup for a 15+ F450 but can't find one anywhere. Do you think a good Single replacement would be good enough? Perhaps a Rancho 5000 or a higher end Fox? Would need to be significantly stiffer than the OEM one.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:00 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Most all aftermarkets are considerably stiffer than the OEMs. If I remember correctly, the ones we put on the trucks back then were Rancho.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Justin, its a definite downside to the 19.5's. They follow road grooves much worse than lighter tires. I don't think it has anything to do with the track width. All the heavy truck tires do it too, there's a nasty rutted out spot on I95 through NYC where I thought I was gonna lose my Pete.................it's crazy rutted and I had only ever hit it at a crawl waiting to cross the GWB. But one day 95 was clear and I hit it around 50.................I think I was less spooked the day the exhaust brake spun me out on ice and sent me to the ditch.

To answer the other half, my pickup with 17's is much better on rutted roads than my old F550 work truck on 19.5's. Both duallies.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:31 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Yeah, seriously, its like being shoved off the road by a huge hand. My wife was like WTF when it happened.. Funny hearing her curse, but a scary moment.

While I was alone driving from South Texas back home I purposely tried to hit ruts to see what it would take to control the truck. It's like extreme sway.

I hope that it is a little more controllable when towing my trailer as I would hate to transfer that wondering to the trailer. If you have construction barriers next to you, I could easily see making contact with the rear fender.

I might start with a steering stabilizer. Perhaps that will give the firmness needed to help control that drift.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Justin, check the air pressures in the tires as well. See what you are running. At max pressure they will react differently than at lower ones. Check the pressure charts for the tires you have and read the manual for the truck to see what pressures are acceptable.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:21 AM
Jesse4812
Tuned
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
My '08 F-450 did it and my '15 does it, my '12 had 17.5 tires and didn't do it. The 19.5 tires are very stiff. The first time it happened on my '08 it really took me by surprise but I'm used to it now. Not as noticeable when the truck has a load on it.

Old 10-01-2015, 05:28 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Dual steering stabilizers work the best to firm up the wheel.

Leave the factory one there.

I ran skyjackers on mine (My 08).

Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by senix
Dual steering stabilizers work the best to firm up the wheel.

Leave the factory one there.

I ran skyjackers on mine (My 08).
I believe the tie rod is much larger and I can't confirm if most of the dual setups U bolts will fit over the ends.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,193 Likes on 573 Posts
I feel your pain Justin but glad you posted about this. I keep weighing a DRW 350 vs. a 450 and the more info, the more informed decision I can make.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:18 AM
Iowa Ford
Post Fiend
Received 287 Likes on 132 Posts
Justin, you need some pin weight over the rear axle for the truck to perform the way it was designed to. Awesome looking truck!
Good luck !

Old 10-01-2015, 08:35 AM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa Ford
Justin, you need some pin weight over the rear axle for the truck to perform the way it was designed to. Awesome looking truck!
Good luck !
Exactly, throw 3 or 4,000 lb in the back and you will be good

Old 10-01-2015, 09:10 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by darren32
Exactly, throw 3 or 4,000 lb in the back and you will be good
Basically, I need to drive around with a compact fork lift in the back then......

I'm going to take the wife out for lunch, drive by an industrial site, say "wow, wouldn't it be cool to own a compact Forklift?", she'll say "Why?", I'll respond, "Because who do you know that personally has a compact forklift for recreational purposes?", she'll say "Yeah, that true, but what would you use it for?", I'll respond "SAMS Club", she'll say "good point, purchased approved".

Fast Forward 2 weeks..

I'll be posting pictures of my new compact forklift in the bed of the truck.....and how it fixed my wondering problem.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
I feel your pain Justin but glad you posted about this. I keep weighing a DRW 350 vs. a 450 and the more info, the more informed decision I can make.
Great point Rodney,

However...If I had it all over to do again....yeah, I'd still get the F450

Something about a Dana S110 makes me feel good.

Quick Reply: Do all duallys wonder or just F450s?