Loss of Power Towing 5th Toyhauler - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power Towing 5th Toyhauler

Old 09-29-2015, 08:13 PM
Freshman User

mnero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Loss of Power Towing 5th Toyhauler

I just bought my 2015 F350 Dually (430 gears) up here in Idaho in July. With only 2K miles and 2nd towing trip I had a sudden loss of power climbing a very moderate grade. Below is what I wrote and provide the dealer today. Of course I got it back today from the dealer with no problem found, no codes showing, etc. They did agree to send a diesel tech. on a test drive with my toy hauler loaded (17K) and test the local 7% grade. I will have him take his laptop and plug into the OBDII during the drive. I will update in a few weeks. The real issue for me is I just sold my 6.0 liter to get away from these ridiculous tow issues. Not sure I succeed? Outside of this issue, I love this truck!

I would really appreciate hearing from others with 6.7L if they have had any similar problems or have been towing heavy loads with no issues (encouragement I suppose)

Write-up I sent to the dealer:

While towing my 5th wheel trailer on Sunday 9/27, heading northwest on I-84 toward Mountain Home, I experienced a one-time sudden lose of engine power. I was climbing a small grade (not steep by any means) at 65mph with cruise control on. The truck suddenly lost power and at WOT, there was no power gain. I donít recall if I turned off CC immediately as everything happened so quickly. I did notice that I was not in Tow Haul Mode and then switched it on. The truck was in 6th gear when this happened and had not attempted to downshift.

I did note the gauge temperatures: EOT=239F, Trans Temp= 208F, Ambient = 80F

There was no CEL or Warning Indicators displayed. I donít think the truck went into limp mode, just a loss of power. I estimate it was 1 minutes later after leveling out that power recovered. I did not stop/start the engine to clear things.

Upon arriving in Boise the gauge temperatures: EOT=212F, Trans Temp= 198F, Ambient = 77F
Old 09-29-2015, 08:32 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Temps were normal. I have hit 248 engine oil temp with a derate.

mine is a 2013 but I have towed cross country more than once through the rockies without issue.

Not normal what you are saying.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 PM
Post Fiend

Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Odd issue!

FWIW, my truck has 3.73 gears and drags my 18k Toy Hauler without breaking a sweat.. And I sure hope to God it stays that way....
Old 09-30-2015, 11:50 AM
Official Ford Rep

FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnero View Post
I just bought my 2015 F350 Dually (430 gears) up here in Idaho in July. With only 2K miles and 2nd towing trip I had a sudden loss of power climbing a very moderate grade. Below is what I wrote and provide the dealer today. Of course I got it back today from the dealer with no problem found, no codes showing, etc. They did agree to send a diesel tech. on a test drive with my toy hauler loaded (17K) and test the local 7% grade. I will have him take his laptop and plug into the OBDII during the drive. I will update in a few weeks. The real issue for me is I just sold my 6.0 liter to get away from these ridiculous tow issues. Not sure I succeed? Outside of this issue, I love this truck!...
Hi mnero,

I want to make sure that you continue to love your truck! Send over your details in a PM; I'll get this on the radar of your regional customer service manager. When writing, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Senior User

gwg42 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Similar problem happened to me in Colorado this summer. Problem doesn't seem to repeat with any degree of regularity. Two dealers that I discussed problem with had no specific answers. Have pulled about 1500 miles since my problems happened, problem has not returned so far. Watch your regen status. Doesn't seem to regen properly at altitude and higher temperatures with heavy trailers was mentioned to me by Colorado dealer.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:00 AM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Really shouldn't regen at all towing heavy enough.

Regardless of altitude.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:35 AM
Postmaster

Just Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to beholdJust Strokin is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by senix View Post
Really shouldn't regen at all towing heavy enough.

Regardless of altitude.
It will regen at times when towing heaving. I know mine did in august when i pulled cross country from Alabama to Washington state and back....doesn't regen as often but will regen. It did seem to use more DEF as i used over 10 gal of fluid on the trip.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Post Fiend

Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
Very odd. I regularly tow my hauler at 17-20k based on loading the garage. Never felt any loss of power in 4 seasons of towing heavy. Keep us posted if you ever find the cause...
Old 10-01-2015, 10:08 AM
Freshman User

mnero is starting off with a positive reputation.
I will keep you updated. I PM Crystal and already got a call from the regional service folks. Will see where that goes. I will likely tow this next week loaded up and run a 7% grade to try to create the issue. I can do that within 1/2 hour of the house. I appreciate everyone's replys so far.

BTW, I filled my DEF yesterday at the Flying J. It took 5.1 gallons. I've only towed twice and have 2026 miles. Factory must not have filled this. I did not get any DEF warnings, I just noted it said less than 1/2 on the information line. Seems odd, I thought this was a 5 gallon tank.
Old 10-01-2015, 10:25 AM
Official Ford Rep

FordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud ofFordService has much to be proud of
Quote:
I will keep you updated. I PM Crystal and already got a call from the regional service folks...
I'm glad things are headed in the right direction, mnero! Give me a shout via PM if there's anything else I can do to assist.

Crystal
Old 10-01-2015, 01:14 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
I will keep you updated. I PM Crystal and already got a call from the regional service folks. Will see where that goes. I will likely tow this next week loaded up and run a 7% grade to try to create the issue. I can do that within 1/2 hour of the house. I appreciate everyone's replys so far.

BTW, I filled my DEF yesterday at the Flying J. It took 5.1 gallons. I've only towed twice and have 2026 miles. Factory must not have filled this. I did not get any DEF warnings, I just noted it said less than 1/2 on the information line. Seems odd, I thought this was a 5 gallon tank.
neither factory nor dealer fill def tank..
Old 10-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Post Fiend

Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
My DEF tank as well as fuel tank were filled when I took delivery. Come to think of it - my fuel tanks have always been filled on delivery of all my cars and trucks since 1976..
Old 10-01-2015, 04:14 PM
Post Fiend

sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Foot View Post
My DEF tank as well as fuel tank were filled when I took delivery. Come to think of it - my fuel tanks have always been filled on delivery of all my cars and trucks since 1976..
you are quite the lucky one! don't change what you are doing
Old 10-01-2015, 04:25 PM
Post Fiend

EO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputationEO2SeaBee has a superb reputation
I had to argue with my sales guy to have my DEF topped off before delivery. He insisted they are filled at the factory. After adding 1.5 gallons to fill it, he sent me off with his apologies and the rest of the jug.

Good luck on getting your issue identified and resolved.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:55 PM
Post Fiend

Bonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to beholdBonanza35 is a splendid one to behold
We'd all like to here about this. Good luck.