Loss of Power Towing 5th Toyhauler - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss of Power Towing 5th Toyhauler

Old 10-01-2015, 07:03 PM
Post Fiend

Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
you are quite the lucky one! don't change what you are doing
I don't try to beat them down out of most their profit...
I've also never been turned down on a warranty claim - even a car that was 5k and 3 months out of warranty...

Dealers remember how you treat them...
Old 10-01-2015, 07:35 PM
Post Fiend

Karl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputationKarl4Cat has a superb reputation
I beat them down out of every last penny I can. Just like they are trying to do to me. I'll buy my own DEF...
Old 07-01-2017, 05:39 PM
New User

glenngjl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power loss 6.7 while towing

I had the same loss of power pulling up a not so steep incline and a mountain pass. I felt a miss and sudden loss of power. Had to pull over to the side of the road as the truck would hardly pull itself. This happened three times in a row. No codes were set. Unhooked from trailer and truck ran great. Finally had to call for help and switch to another truck to finish trip. Put truck on a dyno and found no problems. Going to hook back up next week to take another try. Any ideas? 2011 F250 6.7
Old 07-01-2017, 05:41 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
I'd be looking at the HPFP if I were you. VCV might be an issue. Any codes?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:46 PM
Senior User

brickman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.brickman is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngjl View Post
I had the same loss of power pulling up a not so steep incline and a mountain pass. I felt a miss and sudden loss of power. Had to pull over to the side of the road as the truck would hardly pull itself. This happened three times in a row. No codes were set. Unhooked from trailer and truck ran great. Finally had to call for help and switch to another truck to finish trip. Put truck on a dyno and found no problems. Going to hook back up next week to take another try. Any ideas? 2011 F250 6.7
Any kind of mods been done to it?
Old 07-01-2017, 05:48 PM
New User

Had two different shops look at problem, neither could pull any codes to find a problem. No modifications
Old 07-01-2017, 05:59 PM
Post Fiend

Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.Big-Foot has a spectacular reputation.
I'd be looking at two things -
1) Fuel filter
2) Restriction in the tank (a number of guys have found the cap seal from fuel additives stuck in the intake)

Dyno pulls will not pull the fuel the way that dragging a heavy trailer up a steep hill will and the dyno pulls are typically shorter in duration.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 PM
New User

Replaced both filters, did not fix problem.
Old 07-01-2017, 06:15 PM

senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Do you use a fuel treatment in the fuel system?
Old 07-01-2017, 10:28 PM
New User

Had not added any fuel additives, but have since began to add, but have not tried to tow.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:21 AM
Post Fiend

golfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputationgolfmedik has a superb reputation
Something is shutting it down but failing to record the event it sounds. I think a live data stream with the rig in tow is in order to find it.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 AM
Postmaster

HRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to beholdHRTKD is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmedik View Post
Something is shutting it down but failing to record the event it sounds.
In my half ton truck, that symptom would point to a fuel pump or at the very least a fuel delivery issue. Why the fuel pump doesn't throw a code is beyond me.
Old 07-02-2017, 10:39 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
In my half ton truck, that symptom would point to a fuel pump or at the very least a fuel delivery issue. Why the fuel pump doesn't throw a code is beyond me.
My thoughts exactly...
Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 AM
New User

Next weekend I'm going to hook up a scanner and take a drive with my son-in-law, who is a mechanic to see if we can find anything. Hopefully the scanner will find something.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:23 AM

do you have a scanner that can read the ford specific codes?